PDA

View Full Version : Silo: Instance Mirror Seam

Ejecta
06-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Im trying out the demo of Silo and when I instance mirror I get a seam no matter what I set the tolerence to distance wise. Any ideas?

chikega
06-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi Ejecta, I assume all the vertices in the middle are resting at the "0" position to begin with, right? Now, is the seam actually open or is it just "puckering". If so, then you're used to LW - it's mirror mode makes the mesh appear contiguous - Silo doesn't do this until you actually delete the Instance and then Mirror. Can you post an image? :)

Ejecta
06-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey Chikega,
Yeah it's just "puckering". Yeah Im used to LW so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Being a user of modeler how do you think Silo compares?

chikega
06-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Hey Chikega,
Yeah it's just "puckering". Yeah Im used to LW so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Being a user of modeler how do you think Silo compares?I thought that's what it may have been. LW's symmetry mode is nice - but doesn't play nice with all the modeling tools. In contrast, Silo's Instance Mirror allows you use whatever you want.

When Silo first came out, my initial impression was rather lukewarm b/c it was missing some fundamental modeling tools. But within a few months, the boys at Nevercenter added feature after feature at a unrelenting pace. I even made a few suggestions that were implemented within a couple weeks. I love being able to delete edges and then add edges. And having Ngons, is really a plus in my opinion.

Silo, is still missing a few things that LW Modeler has or it's Plugins (like FI_Wrinkle) - but Nevercenter's involvement with it's user base is second to none which really gives me the warm fuzzies. :)

Ejecta
06-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Sounds like they have great customer support. Ive been playing with Silo more and really getting a feel for it and Im really digging it alot! Yeah ngons are nice now to have even though I still try to keep quads as much as possible but like the option here its needed. Thanks for your help!! :D

ambient-whisper
06-27-2004, 12:01 AM
ngons are there so you could work out geometry easier while still seeing a smoothed result underneath.
if your application triangulated your ngons automatically it would be much harder to get a topology that youd like.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.