PDA

View Full Version : Cushon space for rotation limits?

Ramon
06-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Hello.
I have several IK chains in my object and I see that the rotational limits that are set up for the bones are making the leg movements too harsh (non-flowing) because once the rotation of the bone hits the limit, it stops cold rather than cushon or slow just before the limit stop. Bone limits need envelopes or something.
Is there any way to do this - smoothly slow the rotation to a stop at the limit?

Sil3
06-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Dont use rotational limits :p

Ramon
06-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Yeah - but, if I don't use rotational limits on an IK chain that has a goal that doesn't have "Keep goal within reach" on (which is the way I need it - goal in reach- turned off), then the bones in the chain don't know when to "hand off" it's movement to the next bone and so you don't get the correct movement you're looking for.

Sil3
06-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Then u need to "fake", kinda like an ease in. See where the limits are, and make a couple of keys before it reaches that position.

Hope it helps

Ramon
06-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks,
Well if that the only way (manually) then I guess I'll have to. That's a lot concidering how many steps my charater is going to take and multiply that x 4 (limbs). I just thought a LW "techy" had a way to tie in a function curve to graphically edit the slow down.
Thanks anyway.

Then u need to "fake", kinda like an ease in. See where the limits are, and make a couple of keys before it reaches that position.

Hope it helps

kretin
06-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Higher Stiffness creates the type of buffer you're talking about. The further away a bone rotates from its rest rotation the more buffering it has. When the limb is rested half way between the extremes you can get a buffer for both.

But for character animation it's much better to retain control. Using Keep Goal Within Reach is a deceptive option which doesn't give you the control needed for IK driven limbs. It's much better to more carefully place the IK goal and create a buffer for the goal instead of the bones by setting ease in and out to the keyframes of the goal. You usually don't even need extra keyframes, just adjust the TCB of the main keys.

Ramon
06-26-2004, 04:22 AM
Yep, that's the way I'll have to do it Jonny. Meticulously mess with the TCB curve to get the soft movements I need within the IK chain.
Thanks.
How's that book coming along?:)

kretin
06-26-2004, 04:33 AM
Try increasing Stiffness, it might give you the effect you're after...

The manuscripts are finished, finalizing the CDs as we speak :bounce:

Ramon
06-26-2004, 05:34 AM
Good deal. U D MAN

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.