PDA

View Full Version : How to make my animation run at twice the original speed?

Glenfx
06-24-2004, 11:38 PM
How to make my animation run at twice the original speed in shake?

I noticed that one of my shots would look quite better if it ran at twice the original speed. How can i tell shake to make my animation from 12 seconds to 6?

I read that it needs to be done with a script, but i didnt understand the manual on how to do it.

*Yes im quite stupid when it comes to program a script... even a simple one 9_9*

Hugh
06-25-2004, 07:59 AM
To do a straight speed increase like this, in your FileIn node, set the Increment to 2 (this is how many frames of the sequence it increments every frame of the timeline)

The other option is the ReTiming section (under the Timing tab). Set the reTiming parameter to "speed" and the "speed" parameter to 2...

alexx
06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
3rd idea would be using the timeX at the very end of your script. in there you can keyframe the timing very well

tip: use that node as well, if you e.g. have to time offset quickshape animation and so on..

cheers

alexx

Hugh
06-25-2004, 09:26 AM
That's certainly another valid option...

There is one huge gotcha with the TimeX node that you've got to be REALLY careful about...

If you have a TimeX node in your script, everything above that node will be affected by it at the root.

So the following script (for getting part of the previous frame and layering it over the sequence) will not work:

http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/pictures/timeX_gotcha.jpg

This is because the TimeX node will affect the FileIn node on both branches. If you want to do something like this, then you have to have two FileIn nodes

Edit: Interesting! CGTalk's background is exactly the same colour as Shake's!

Byla
06-25-2004, 09:40 AM
damn this is sooo beyond me :eek:

Hugh
06-25-2004, 09:44 AM
I found this one out the hard way... after getting VERY confused when it wasn't working....

alexx
06-25-2004, 09:52 AM
same here..
i tried to create a "smarter" average or ghosting script than the one that comes with shake.. but of course i was not able to succeed :)

cheers

alexx

Glenfx
06-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Tanks for the replyes

im quite confused about TimeX, how should i set the speed there?

I tryed the Retiming and it works quite well, but i have to apply the increment to every clip, and since i have many different nodes i lost the consistency of the shot. Is there a way to set a node at the end that makes my composition stay together? i know it might be with TimeX... but how thoes that work?

Another question.. if i change the Increment (the one on the bottom between the "Current" frame and the play buttons... the one called "Inc" if i change that it affects the final speed or it only affects the visualisation speed?

Hugh
06-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Ahh - to do that, you will want a TimeX node right at the end with the time parameter set to "time*2"

This means that when the FileOut node asks for frame 1, it will actually be given frame 2, and when it asks for frame 2, it will actually be given frame 4, etc...

kag122
07-06-2004, 04:47 AM
timex concatinates up the tree. You dont have to add two fileins up the tree, just break the concatination by placing a node in the tree that will interrupt this. Try using a blur, but make the vaule for theblur 0 so it wont do anything. This should fix your problems.

Try reading up on the manual about concatination

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.