PDA

View Full Version : Teeth questions

chrisrw
06-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Hello, I have some teeth/gum/inner mouth questions about character modelling. I'm modelling a baby raptor character (hes so cute!), who will have a lot of facial expression/facial morphs. Right now, Ive modelled the inner mouth/teeth/gums seperately, like dentures. I was going to just move the teeth with the mouth as it deformed with facial morphs. But I am afraid that it will be nearly impossible to keep the teeth moving with the rest of the mouth at the same time, without it looking loose in the head. Do I need to attach the teeth in, and include them in the facial movement morph targets? By using combinations of multiple morphs, will this cause the teeth to warp/stretch?

Thanks, any help will be very helpful =)

ray
06-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I'm facing the exact same problem right now, trying to figure out how to do this best (on a human model tho).
My thoughts: Using morphs, you'd probably need in-between shapes for the jaw, because otherwise the teeth will move in a straight line towards the target, instead of following an arc as they should do.

Sounds like lots of work especially if you're using different mouth shapes...

Now if you'd put the same amout of effort in synchronizing a separate jaw object, you'll probably have a similar result...

Ohwell, there doesn't seem to be a lot of pick up-experience floating around the net either.... Seems we'll have to make it ourselvers :bounce:
Btw please show the cute rapor :love:

ray

RazzMataz
06-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey, just thought I would respond to this. I have gone through this problem in a production setting(modeling and rigging a realistic character for one of our cutcenes,) and I think that unless your character is going to deform in an unrealistic way,(teeth morphing with huge, distorted expression,) you should just parent the lower teeth to the jawbone and the upper teeth to the skull bone.

When you envelope/skin the head, get the lower face/jaw working with your jaw bone/driver, so you can rotate it, and the mouth opens, closes and goes from side to side realistically. Your teeth, if you have modeled them and the inner mouth correctly, should follow along nicely.

Now you apply your morph targets over this setup, (lip curl, snarl etc). As long as you sculpt your morph targets based around the teeth in a neutral pose, they should work in concert with the jaw bone animation.

Hope this helps a bit.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.