PDA

View Full Version : CharacterStudio : Footstep Help NEEDED !

Waugh
06-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey. I've posted this in the Max section, but afterward, I though it rather belongs her, so, here's the fact :
Character pisses me off. Badly.
Does anybody knows how can I control a (very) large amount of footsteps ?
That is, make them follow a spline, or lay them on a mesh ground object ?

This is for professional issue, and i'm really considering switching back to Maya for animation...

WAugh, kinda despaired (when the anger will be off)

kevinw
06-24-2004, 06:02 PM
I've never been able to get those stupid footsteps to work. Not to say it can't be done but it usually doesn't work how it's supposed to. And it's always harder than it looks. Max help is usually too generalized also. In short.. I made the switch to Maya and never looked back.

Pinoy McGee
06-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I haven't used CS in awhile, but after overcoming the steep learning curve I saw how fast you could do your work with footsteps (and skinning with Physique) and how it's possible to attain mocap level of realism without actually using mocap. Especially if you have a biped that needs to walk a lot and doing other things at the same time (gesturing with arms and turning the torso, for example), turning around 180, etc.

When I was using it I'd first roughly lay in the steps that I think that I need for my action (like, climbing stairs). Activate to check how the biped moves, deactivate footsteps to tweak timing or add/delete steps in track view. After I'm happy with the lower body timing, then I start working on the biped's actual body animation.

My advice to Waugh is to work in clips or sections, 'cuz you could append footsteps. If your character/creature is mostly doing actions from a standing, stationary position I'd go with freeform mode. Getting the hang of using freeform with footsteps is to your advantage.

Good luck.
Oh, another thing. I don't know what the latest CS version looks like but the IK Blending spinner for the feet was helpful for me when I want to specify how anchored or slippery the feet to be on the ground.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.