PDA

View Full Version : animation: Saturday Afternoon Fever

Firegoat
06-24-2004, 07:12 AM
http://www.vfs.com/~ma12jeremy/SAFPoster.jpg

Hey all

I just finished my first film in Maya at VFS yesterday

It was animated over a period of 4 weeks with a few months of preproduction.

There are no sound effects yet, but there is music, so it's basically the finished product.

Comments and critiques welcome. oh yeah, and i'm now on the hunt for a job now so if you want to get in touch, there's contact info at the end of the credits.

(sorry for the slow-ass VFS server)
right click and save at

www.vfs.com/~ma12jeremy/SaturdayFever.mov (http://www.vfs.com/~ma12jeremy/SaturdayFever.mov)

or

at the mirror

www.cookingbaconnaked.com/SaturdayFever.mov (http://www.cookingbaconnaked.com/SaturdayFever.mov)

edit:
MIRROR ADDED:
www.castanet.net/content/SaturdayFever.mov (http://www.castanet.net/content/SaturdayFever.mov)

thanks

firegoat out.

r 2
06-24-2004, 07:59 AM
hehe, great idea and good feeling overall, me likes :)

arona
06-24-2004, 09:01 AM
greaaaaaaaaaat. very nice it gaves me energy. keep it up :buttrock: :buttrock:

PC-Junkie
06-24-2004, 09:39 AM
lol, i like it. it didn't say who moddeled, but i assume u did.

retrop
06-24-2004, 09:55 AM
the beginning is a little irritating, becouse there is no sound, but the rest is really good :)

crazyj
06-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Kickass, and only in 4 weeks..... Someone give this man a job!!!!!!!!

Firegoat
06-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey thanks guys I'm glad you like it...

yeah, i did the modelling too..lighting, textures...everything...

and sorry there's no sound effects, but it'll just be ambient street noise in the background so it's not essential right now....just use your imagination in the meantime :p

word on the street is it's downloading really slow, so if anybody feels like hosting a mirror, feel free to....

firegoat out

yxin
06-24-2004, 08:36 PM
lol.....very good animation.....but the music iss the best!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
extreme funny! uuuhh ahhh!!!

please tell me where i can get this song!! your film is gorgeous!!!

saturday afternoon fever for breakfast, lunch and dinner!! :scream:

Stillwell
06-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Nifty animation, gave me the dance fever for a few seconds ;p

Pretty much like everyone else, I thought I didn't have the right sound codec. There's no sound when he puts the key into the lock, when he opens the door, footsteps, etc. But what it lacks in SFX catches up on rythm :)

You did that in 4 weeks? Impressive.

Heber
06-25-2004, 12:22 AM
hah! that was great , awesome animation , great work man its amazing what you guys can do in a 6 month span(learn maya and complete a short!!) , best of luck .

iamintricate
06-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Yeah very impressive.. the addition of sfx would put this over the top.. I found myself chuckling, which turned into laughing so hard I was tearing.. like this X'D

hehe.. awesome production mate.

*edit*
what track is playin in the bg? i dig it.

woadiestyol
06-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Man, if that doesn't get you a job I don't know what will. Awesome animation!

cycom
06-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Haha.. As usual, VFS did it again. Great animation!

shbazjinkens
06-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Loved it, I'm dying laughing.

The textures and models are so great for a student, congrats on pulling this off so well.

You should post this at collegehumor.com

I agree that the beginning is irritating for the lack of SFX.

ty19345
06-25-2004, 03:21 AM
I love your idea, very unique, and funny. haha...
It is amazing for only 4 weeks, the overall quality is really good!
I like the room setting too.

good stuff~ ^__^

whtnoise
06-25-2004, 04:56 AM
very nice, sorta pixaresque :thumbsup: were you in the pt. time maya program?

BiTMAP
06-25-2004, 05:16 AM
YAY its VFS student real time again!!! WOOP WOOP!

???
06-25-2004, 06:07 AM
My fav demo real of a student so far :buttrock:

Annuostivix
06-25-2004, 06:08 AM
Wow, I figured I would mention that I really enjoyed this. It's great student work... I've seen worse professional work, I think... And I'm not even exagerating, it's really good.

EdySusanto
06-25-2004, 07:10 AM
hahahaha very funny dude.
I love it esp. the part the old guy shake his bon2 ^^

lestdog
06-25-2004, 08:35 AM
THat was AWESOME! I never laughed so hard in front of a student short. Hey the only thing that through me for a loop was that he put a jazz record on the turntable. But the music wasnt jazz. However I imagine that you couldn't have that kind of dancing with jazz though, but Maybe there is a hybrid jazz song that would suit the film, but then it probably wouldn't be as funny either. Anyway that's it! Awesome job.

Marsinfur
06-25-2004, 08:51 AM
WHAT CAN I SAY VER"Y WELL DONE YOU HAVE SOME GOOD JOB WAITING FOR YOU WELL DONE~! HOPE TO SEE YOU ON TOP SOON~
Keep AnImAtInG~

blacknoise
06-25-2004, 09:05 AM
very good demo but i agree with retrop - first seconds without the music are a little bit irritating.

even that... congrats! good job!

Bentagon
06-25-2004, 09:44 AM
THat was AWESOME! I never laughed so hard in front of a student short. Hey the only thing that through me for a loop was that he put a jazz record on the turntable. But the music wasnt jazz. However I imagine that you couldn't have that kind of dancing with jazz though, but Maybe there is a hybrid jazz song that would suit the film, but then it probably wouldn't be as funny either. Anyway that's it! Awesome job.Isn't this just part of the story? He buys a record, there's been a mistake and the jazz record is replaced by another, but he gets to like it anyway.

I agree with the others, this is defenitly one of the best student animations I've ever seen... you've got a great future in the field!

And about that missing sound, it won't stop the companies from contracting you, since you're probably aiming for an animation job.

- Bentagon

lestdog
06-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Isn't this just part of the story? He buys a record, there's been a mistake and the jazz record is replaced by another, but he gets to like it anyway.

I agree with the others, this is defenitly one of the best student animations I've ever seen... you've got a great future in the field!

And about that missing sound, it won't stop the companies from contracting you, since you're probably aiming for an animation job.

- Bentagon
ahh yeah, i guess your right! I wonder why I didn't get that. Then since that's the case, I would have had the old man look at and hold the cover again with a bewildered look. But now that I went back and looked at the move I agree now. Anyway, it's remarkable work.

DoLeeP
06-25-2004, 01:04 PM
heh very cool

snovak
06-25-2004, 02:58 PM
MUAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A very well done animation.

Kodos
06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Did you really animate that in only 4 weeks?

moonsafari
06-25-2004, 03:48 PM
jeremy - congratulations on finishing the piece. i know how hectic vfs can be and i must say i'm really impressed with what you were able to produce in the limited timeframe.

as for the animation, its really excellent and you should be quite pleased with yourself. your 2D animation sensibilities really show - the timing and movement is really quite good. you also did a nice job of 'stylizing' the movements from the video reference i saw. i could still tell where they were taken from, but you gave them your own twist and personality instead of just matchmoving.

my only concern, which i know i briefly mentioned to you, is that it is over 40 seconds before we see any real animation. some employers might not even make that far into your reel if nothing catches their interest off the bat. i might try making a more 'employer friendly' edit where you get to the animation a bit quicker.

again, congratulations and enjoy some real sleep.

Self-Designer
06-25-2004, 03:51 PM
Loved it :thumbsup: , now for what i really wanted to say: Don't add sound-effects! Let the viewer wounder what da hell is going on, but do add a sound effect of the phonograph's head while touching the record at the beginning, because in that exact point, the viewer starts to suspect that something is fishy with his codec, one of the loudspeaker, the file etc.

I think that adding that sound effect only will keep the music's strength even better then much more sound effects.

And of course, i loved it!!

TKelley
06-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Wow, just wow. I showed this to everyone in my lab today, they all loved it and had most of them in stitches. Congratulations on a job well done.

wildekyote
06-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Great job! Definately going to help your marketing for a job.

DMuir
06-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Superb, very funny, great modeling, animation and camera shots, I will definitly be showing this to my animations students next year. Look forward to seeing your name in lights, keep me posted.

Excellent music by Ryan.

daedalu$
06-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Very entertaining stuff. Excellent cuts and use of slomo. You should have used some sound in the beginning, it feels weird that the key doesn't make any sound and you could have added some scratchy noises, like the ones you hear playing an old record, before the music starts. Visually excellent though!

Firegoat
06-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Wow guys thanks!

this response is overwhelming...thank you very much!

the comments have been great...reguarding the sound, well....there is going to be sound put in by vfs's sound guy, but i don't get to see that for a month or 2, and i don't think it's really important to the overall story....needle drop sounds, and record scratching etc. will be a nice addition when they come but they're not imperative. the music is the important thing.

the music was created by a friend of mine (ryan ervin)...i basically told him what i wanted, gave him some reference music and he worked from there, and over the phone we polished up to the fine piece that it is...he did a fantastic job. i don't have a copy of the music handy unfortunately,otherwise i'd post it for those that seem to like it....i think i used to like it, but i don't think i ever want to hear it again:P

just to clarify, i did ANIMATE it in 4 weeks, but it took me a few months to model and rig the old man (Marvin) since i was learning how to use maya at the same time and it was my first go at modelling and rigging a character. I textured everything in a 2 or 3 days, and took about a week for lighting

as for the 40 seconds at the beginning where there's no really intense animation and that not being good thing for a demo reel, i completely agree, which is why this technically isn't my 'demo reel'...it's my 'film' and from that i'll cut out pieces of this and chunks of my 2d film to create my demo.....frankly i like the 40 seconds of tight shots and limited info... keeps people kind of confused for a bit.

Mr Muir, it's good to see you posting on CGTalk, and i'll be sending you a finished copy of this on vhs or dvd when i get one myself.

thanks everyone....i so glad you like it.

firegoat out.

xjgd4321
06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Very the humor's animation!!!:applause:The music also very good !
The old man's action is very funny.

REZI-st
06-25-2004, 08:04 PM
SUPER amazing greats work :love: :buttrock:

NMarzian
06-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Firegoat,

I love that short. With sound effects it will be fantastic. :applause: Thanks for showing us your inspiring work.

Bye,
Noryx

Sammy
06-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Jeremy truly outdid himself on this! He was one of the most hard working students in our class - and was seldom ever NOT in class. In fact, I don't think he ran a brush though his hair from day one on. lol. All joking aside though, this fellas is truly dedicated to his craft.

I'm the new assistant instructor of VFS's character animation program so I regard myself as qualified in making the statement that Mr.Brown is one of our strongest students yet. We're blessed to have a very strong class overall - and it was REALLY tough to pick who to award scholarships to.

He absorbed all the leftbrain information we dumped on him - asked questions regularly, and put his theories to superb use! Someone better act quickly and employ this fella - he won't be looking for work for long, that's f'sure!

Congratulations Jeremy, Greg and I are REALLY proud of you! You'll, without a doubt, have a long, adventure-filled career in 3d animation. Hooah soldier!

Cheers,
Sammy

thephalinx
06-26-2004, 03:30 AM
very amazing man

as far as crits go, I agree with what most have been saying with the bit of a lull in the first 40 seconds
and when he taps his foot it's not in sync with the music, should be about twice as fast a tap, a slightly off. I only mention this tiny bit of detail because everything else looks so freaking great
I am very very impressed

miloszwl
06-26-2004, 06:10 AM
really great and funny idea! very good modeling and overall creation.
I have only small but to his shoulders - they are too static. despite this, film is awesome.

i really enjoyed the music as well. does the author of music have any website or something where I can find his tracks?

Thanks and good job :thumbsup:

Milo

kraal
06-26-2004, 07:30 AM
i want to add just a little bit..... technically i think it was good.....modeling well done ... textures ect well done..... however i would have to say as a story goes it was average .... i know this is different that what most are saying they are all yelling someone hire this guy.... but i think that there needs to be some look into the why's of the story to make a short work .... why x angle instead of y angle .... why cut here why show the out side shot ..... the problem i see now with animation and begining animators is that the need to look past the technical aspects and more into the story and jump in the directors chair..... there are tons of new and astablished artist out there all going for the same job .... a lot of the technical aspects are easily learned or handled by software it is the artist points that will land a job..... again this is a critque not a diss take it as you will

DoLeeP
06-26-2004, 01:16 PM
:thumbsup: just amazing

bfflosouldier
06-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Well I enjoyed the hell out of it man. We go through tons of preproduction here at Ringling, and very rarely do I see a piece really have a nice flow to it by the use of cuts. I'm not sure why some of the others find it lacking in the story department, except for the ending isn't really needed the way it is. I think you did a great job with your cuts and portraying whats going on inside this guys head. Its a great slice of life piece, and damn entertaining as well. Thanks for the morning entertainment!

osadkid
06-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Hey ,i have yet to see it ,but i have a few questions about VFS ,one ,which program were you in? 2 how long is it? 3 Is there a choice of softwares given or is it all maya?

From what ive heard ,it sounds great!!

!senob!
06-26-2004, 10:14 PM
wishing you great success.

:scream:

AVTPro
06-27-2004, 12:53 AM
You know what? ...That ROCKED!!!

Nice edit job and good music.

Definitely a be Happy button.

shadowkeeper
06-27-2004, 02:09 AM
That animation is funny!
I like the music! :D

LiQ
06-27-2004, 08:57 AM
AHAHAHHAHA, classic. Great work:scream:

andrewmartin
06-27-2004, 11:54 PM
HAHA!! That's was great!

I felt a bit weird watching this old man "enjoy" himself though...

I would have to agree about the SFX, i think it needs it for the beginning. I honestly thought I had my computer on mute for a while.

Apart from that, what everyone else said!

Great job!

oxyg3n
06-28-2004, 05:13 AM
Oh that is a great idea. I like seeing that old guy dance to the music like that. I was very funny.

lestdog
06-28-2004, 09:57 AM
my only concern, which i know i briefly mentioned to you, is that it is over 40 seconds before we see any real animation. some employers might not even make that far into your reel if nothing catches their interest off the bat. i might try making a more 'employer friendly' edit where you get to the animation a bit quicker.

again, congratulations and enjoy some real sleep.
I know jeremy mentioned that this was not going to be his demo reel, but I was wondering about this comment. Is this true? Would an employer just throw something out without even fastforwarding it just make sure there was not something that might impress him? I don't know so I'm just asking, but man how you feel if you the employer and you just let talent like this slip on by? Or, What if his reel came with some images of the man dancing? Then the employer would know what to expect right? Just a question.

lodermotor
06-28-2004, 05:10 PM
I know jeremy mentioned that this was not going to be his demo reel, but I was wondering about this comment. Is this true? Would an employer just throw something out without even fastforwarding it just make sure there was not something that might impress him? I don't know so I'm just asking, but man how you feel if you the employer and you just let talent like this slip on by? Or, What if his reel came with some images of the man dancing? Then the employer would know what to expect right? Just a question.

FOR SURE an employer would toss something without fastforwarding. It's a harsh but true fact of the 3D industry. I have seen firsthand someone reviewing reels that will simply throw them out if they're not entertained, or captivated in the first 5 seconds, nevermind 30. However, I'm quite sure the extent of demo-reel reviewer indifference occurs differently on a person to person basis. As someone who does a lot of demo-reviewing, my supervisor explained to me that unfortunately they don't have much time to try to get to the 'good part', make your file work, watch your flying logo...etc. Really these people just want to see your technical ability to animate/act a character. Unless they're really bored I doubt if they'll care much about long dramatic establishing shots, your flying logo, character introductions, or a title sequence. Also, keep it simple with the sound, as most people watch demos on mute!
From what I've heard a great story with good music and flashy visuals gets your reel passed the HR department, as they aren't necessarily judging your reel on animation. However, the person actually hiring you wants your reel to get to the point, and quickly. If there's some way you can make a reel that accomodates both, then you've got a better chance than most!
Put your best shots first, and only shots you are confident that has GOOD ANIMATION!! From watching someone go through reels, I'd the best advice I could give (along with the above rant) is to remember that there's a very distinct difference between a demo reel, and a short animation.

I myself have never been in the position to hire someone, or watch endless piles of demo reels. However, I recently had a very in-depth chat with my supervisor, and I am simply relaying info from a very seasoned demo reel viewer. It was quite an eye opener for me!

Oh yeah, Great Job on the short Firegoat!! I was very impressed by both the editing and animation in "Saturday Afternoon Fever". The dancing infront of the windows was well done, as were the facial expressions. I can't wait to see more great work posted!!

Cheers!!

Rob

MrMacca
06-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Gotta say but I thought that the animation was great, though it was a shame it didn't feature any sounds effects to help push the story along at the start.

However once it got going and we could see the full model in its dancing glory the whole thing became excellent.

I hope you are not offended by what I have done however I was bored today and decided to have a stab at adding sound effects to your animation. I have created a low quality version of your animation, which includes the sound effects I have added.

I am not an expert when it comes down to sound editing and so on, however I thought I would try my hand at it regardless :P

Hopefully you don't mind and infact quite like the sequence.

If you would like to see the sequence with sound, download this small file I have created. Sorry about lowering the quality but I have very little space on my website and it was the only way I could get this file to you. :D

Enjoy

Link Removed at the Request of FireGoat.

If you would like me to remove the link then I will do so :D

MrMacca
:D

Celestial
07-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Hear that? That's the sound of me l.m.a.o.... heh heh... BRAVO!!!! Keep up the great work ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.