PDA

View Full Version : eek

nmx
06-23-2004, 10:58 PM
hi folks me again please tell me to go to computer kindergarden if my questions are really beginnerish, anyway my problem is i just bought a new graphics card -geforce mx 4000 - compatable with 4x/8x -NOW i for some reason thought my computer was 4x its quite old but i just figured it was new enough to be 4x without looking at my specs -SO i bought this card and installed it , then i went to control panel -display-geforce tab and it said _____BUS AGP2X does this mean my motherboard is actuall 2X ??????? and ive wasted 80 euro on my graphics card, it seems to work- but when i go into the control panel items the screen resizes to one with 2 inch black borders , and if it is 2X can i buy a 4x motherboard that i will not have to get a new power supply for and will be compatable with a pentium 3 the one that sticks out of the board as opposed to a flat pin one .
i hope this makes sense to someone

thanks a million
to recap does bus AGP2X mean a 2X speed mother board and i shouldent have a 4x/8X one in it

status quo
06-23-2004, 11:03 PM
have you downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia.com?

try downloading the latest drivers for your motherboard.

possibly flash the bios to a later revision.

to recap does bus AGP2X mean a 2X speed mother board and i shouldent have a 4x/8X one in it if the card wasn't compatible with your board it wouldn't post.

for the gfx card you would have been better hitting ebay for a ti4200 or 4600 providing your motherboard allows this.

did you uninstall your old card (ie drivers etc?)

nmx
06-23-2004, 11:33 PM
yes i have uninstalled my old card drivers

i dont understand about drivers for mother board never heard of it but i would buy a new one if it was compatable. would it be worth my while getting a 4X board to improve on my 4X graphics card

superbeexotc
06-27-2004, 04:32 PM
yes i have uninstalled my old card drivers

i dont understand about drivers for mother board never heard of it but i would buy a new one if it was compatable. would it be worth my while getting a 4X board to improve on my 4X graphics card

What motherboard are you currently using, if you have any idea. Try going to yoru motherboard manufacturer's website and searching for any driver updates that they have your motherboard model.

Replacing the motherboard should not require a new power supply or purchase of any other components, but would likely require a reinstall of Windows if you use XP home (MS copy protection). A new motherboard with AGP 8X would cost about $50, but I doubt that it would improve performance much over AGP 2X with that particular video card.

Go to Nvidia's website and download their newest drivers. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72).

Tarrbot
06-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Some motherboards do not support AGP 4X/8X. If you have an old motherboard with the 440BX chipset for instance, you will only get AGP 2X performance out of that card, even though the card can do AGP 4X.

As superbeexotc said, check the motherboard's website to see what specs the board has. Then you may be able to answer your own question.

nmx
06-29-2004, 08:52 PM
thanks guys ye its cool im just going to get a new board and chip i dont know the name of my current board my computer was built in someones shed . not to worry all is cool

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.