PDA

View Full Version : flint vs after effects

implicit
06-23-2004, 10:23 PM
can some of the ffi-pro's tell me why flint on linux would be a good consideration when flirting with a linux pipeline anyway?
not that i personally could afford a flint-on-linux, but i'm just wondering... when talking especially about motiongraphics. i believe flint is being sold as a turnkey system? does it require any special card or does it work on any linux-machine and is it possible to run other programs along that (3d programs?)...

sure afx is much cheaper but i'm asking from a studio-standpoint, when also wanting to do highend compositing/ vfx and not just motiongraphics, but wanting to work on linux and run 3d tools as well (since flame is only on sgi/ irix until now)...

GrantKay
06-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I used all three platforms, winXP, mac OSX and Linux and personally I found linux to be much faster with most applications because the OS has less to deal with in terms of background processes unlike MAC or Windows. Linux has a more basic UI then WinXP and Mac OSX but that is the way it is designed.

As for Flint SD (running on Linux) you almost have the entire toolset of a flame. Obviously there is a performance difference between an SGI tezro and a linux box however you get the same discreet toolset and the performance of Flint SD is extremely fast.

From a Studio-standpoint, with a discreet system product you can have client attended sessions with a really fast turnover whether it is motion graphics or vfx compositing.

Flint SD and Smoke SD (linux) are sold as turnkey systems. For the hardware specs please visit discreet.com or contact your local systems reseller. As for other applications running on the box you will need to contact discreet support.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

DISCREET EMEA

roto baggins
06-25-2004, 05:30 PM
i would go for flint on linux but you can't do film work beacuse it only does 8bit, plus afx sucks

Aneks
07-13-2004, 11:35 PM
I am very interested on seeing flint on linux. I really like the ffi toolset. However, after spending most of last year on flame on an octane2 I can honestly say that for price/performance I was not dazzled. Also I am flabbergasted by its limitation to 12bpc.

Roto. not to sound personally offended by afterFX does not suck... especially for motion graphics work. In fact it has a hell of lot features and functions that flame would do well to emulate.

The clear advantage of ffi is the standardisation, keyer/tracker and the video i/o. And if you have a tezro or onyx Speed

We are curretly using afterfx on a G5 with a blackmagic card as a 'front of house' client machine. For less than 10k (software and system) I am very, very happy with what it can do. Our 3d guys have afterFX on their pc's and the speed is blinding.

That said I would rather do complex vfx stuff on an FFI system.

m81
07-18-2004, 02:59 PM
what about their strata/ mezzo (toxik) project?
would be interesting to know how this project is coming along, if at all, since they stopped development when 5d went dead.

roto baggins
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
toxik is still around. they were showing it at NAB this year.

maxFX
08-04-2004, 10:38 PM
I cannot believe that someone, can "compare" the NO-WAY-TO-BEAT Flint system with the mere....AF....

it is out of the blue...this comparison if you ask me....
Oh...and Most likely FLint will turn 10bit sometime...

marmphi
08-08-2004, 10:29 PM
:rolleyes: It is the man behide the machine not the app!!

ps.
Maxfx i didnt knew about a new inferno in Kalithea !!!!! so we have 6 in Athens !!!!

maxFX
08-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah..the man is behind the machine..yet...I cannot imagine that an artist , using paint, will make the same stuff with one using PS or Zbrush for example.

Additionally, 90% of the Flint users are using Flint illegally on a low-end SGI system, thus they cannot see the true power of hardware-based solution from discreet. :)

marmphi : Douleueis inferno file? Oreos...basika..nomizw oti einai polloi parapano oi xristes inferno-flame-flint stin ellada oxi mono 6. Steile mou kana PM , me to MSN sou na milame ;). Tha mas poune tora ta xazoamerikanakia gia to Flint. Akouso Akouson! Btw..den douleuw compositors egw, douleuw Softimage kai max, apla kana cam-tracking kai tetoia sto Flint-inferno....esi me ti asxolise?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.