PDA

View Full Version : Using 3D game engines for animated series

gKay
07-24-2002, 09:04 AM
A New post on wired website: machinima uses game engine (qIII, I guess) to produce an animated series and is heading to tv...

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,53929,00.html

TheNomad
07-31-2002, 06:41 PM
Hiya! I'm the editor of Machinima.com (http://www.machinima.com/) and the head of Strange Company (http://www.strangecompany.org), the only professional Machinima-only production house in the world.

Machinima is actually a technique using any game engine to make a "virtual film" - using the real-time nature of the game graphics to make an animation much faster than would otherwise be possible. There's a lot of articles on Machinima.com (which is pretty much the center of the medium) on the subject, as well as a lot of downloadable films - hope you find it interesting!

pensart
08-04-2002, 09:19 PM
IMHO i find the smooth rendered look mutch more than the low polygon game look.

Until the restrictions of the lowpoly look stay i continue to render my animations.

CitizenVertex
08-05-2002, 07:29 PM
I really like the concept of Machinima. I've been following it for quite a while now. There's someothing about rendering realtime and interacting with your animation that's much more appealing than clicking the render button. Never mind the naysayers, you guys are ahead of your time. When Doom III hits I'm sure you are going to see some explosive growth. I'm planning on doing shorts using Doom III myself.

Keep up the good work. Next year is going to be a great year for you guys.

Pedro
08-06-2002, 12:03 AM
I too believe that the Machinima "concept" is very good, and I'd say it promises a lot.

However, I'm not sure it's advanced enough yet as to be able to go on TV, exposed to such a mainstream, judging public.

I'd figure it has a lot more potential for many other things(perhaps a replacement for flash web animations?), but I doubt it's ready for prime time.

But who here wouldn't love being able to interact with his animation in real time? Not wait 15 minutes to the next render?

Array
08-06-2002, 12:12 AM
people have been doing this since the days of quake2. its nothing new.

Pedro
08-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Actually, I remember Quake1 "movies" being popular at a time. I don't think they planned on going to TV tho :D

CitizenVertex
08-06-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Pedro
However, I'm not sure it's advanced enough yet as to be able to go on TV, exposed to such a mainstream, judging public.

I'd figure it has a lot more potential for many other things(perhaps a replacement for flash web animations?), but I doubt it's ready for prime time.

Sure it's good enough for TV. You just haven't seen it done professionally with a budget yet. Look at the crap that passes for animation on TV now. A lot of it is very poor and it's often animated on threes or fours. Look at Southpark (I'm not including Southpark with the crap, here). They use Maya, but make it look like construction paper. The characters hardly move. That type of work could be done with a game engine really easily. I think if this stuff popped up on TV and you didn't know it was rendered with a game engine, you wouldn't be able to tell.

gKay
08-06-2002, 06:27 AM
cvertex is right: it comes all down to an entertaining story, good characters and an artistic (if not geeky :p ) touch.

I don't think they could play in the same league with southpark (using a game engine kind of obligates to do a scifi/action story, which aren't very successfull normally), but i'm pretty sure this could come down quite entertaining.

Luke Werhli
08-06-2002, 12:57 PM
Strange, I posted this new before Gkay. And it was deleted.

What happened?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.