PDA

View Full Version : precomp blues

Moose
07-24-2002, 05:21 AM
greetings all,

wondering if anyone can help with a small issue i'm having with precomposing.

I have two layers in a precomp and they both use blending modes (overlay and screen). The issue is that when placing the precomp into my main comp, it isn't blending correctly with the main comp's background and any underlying layers...it's results are allready composited onto the generic black background of the precomp. I have tried bringing the background into the precomp and trackmatting it....which works after a fashion, but not really what i'm after.

Is there a way to get the precomp to apply the blending modes in the main comp? thanks in advance

anthonymcgrath
07-26-2002, 01:47 PM
No unfortunately. any transparency options you work with in compA wont be carried over over when you nest it into compB.

-thinking about it, that would be ultra messy when it came down to using that method in a 80 layer+project of serious comping.

beej
07-26-2002, 05:10 PM
can you use everything else that goes under the blending layers as the pre comp then bring that in under those two layers then use the whole thng as a precomp for the rest of your composite. boy that was confusing as hell. if its only two layers it should be that unmanageable to bring right into the comp...

Moose
07-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Thanks for your replies guys :D

No unfortunately. any transparency options you work with in compA wont be carried over over when you nest it into compB

anthony this is a bit of a bummer...i see that it would get heavy for the app to compute but you would think that it would be an option...get the precomp to only compute its transperancy/blending settings when inserted into the main comp...hehe...that may remove the meaning of the word 'precomp' but anywho...

...a helpful fellow on the dvgarage forum suggested collapsing the transformations on the precomp layer and this seems to be a good workaround...it doesn't look exactly the same as when computed as layers in the main comp....but much better than plain solid without it...

if its only two layers it should be that unmanageable to bring right into the comp

beej thanks...i ended up with about 30 layers in the end but with precomping the repetitive ones, it brought that down to around 15. I mainly wanted to precomp these as they were just duplicate layers to boost the intensity of the footage...and i needed to then animate each group of these bits of footage, ie opacity etc...

anthonymcgrath
07-29-2002, 08:01 AM
fair enough, good to hear you got some acceptable result anyway. You dont fancy puttin a coupla stills up for the cgtalkers to see do ya?
ant

Moose
08-05-2002, 12:07 PM
anthony, sorry it took me a few days to get back.

heres a few frames from the finished comp, mainly around the logo reveal section. There's around 30secs of lawyers talking as per the frame with lawyer head in it. Lawyer head is precomped as most of the text layers also as they had multiple blur effects on them.

http://www.osmosis.com.au/review/access_sample.jpg

skidd
08-09-2002, 12:33 AM
hi!
how u make the glass material on the logo? do you use outside 3D program or be maded using after effects?

Moose
08-10-2002, 05:03 AM
Hi Skidd, not sure what glass effect you are reffering to. pls elaborate.

skidd
08-11-2002, 02:06 AM
i'm sorry man, english isn't my native language, so...

in the sequence, the fisrt and second "frame" that u show to us, in the logo reference, at down of this composite, are maked with after effects? or another 3d program?

if you while don't understanding, forget this :]

bye!

Moose
08-11-2002, 05:14 AM
Daniel, no worries at all

I think you may be referring to the 'lightstorm' effect which reveals the logo..?

You can find a an excellent tutorial for this here
http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=1 along with a bunch of other tutorials. Its Bill Oneills set of articles about two 2/3 down the page.

The only stuff created in the 3d app was the various objects that resolve in and out as the lawyers are talking throughout. They are all spinning or moving in some way. The rest is all AFX

skidd
08-11-2002, 05:41 AM
thanks moose...

the link that you send is very nice.

see yah!:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.