PDA

View Full Version : Poly connect?

Werner
01-31-2002, 07:15 PM
Is there a way to do this in Lightwave 7b? (2 steps to create a hole)
http://www.ziemdesign.f2s.com/images/extra/connect.gif

Hope the question is clear enough.

pensart
02-01-2002, 03:38 AM
Sure, make a box, like your first example but with no subdivisions.
in another layer draw a square, just a square, not a box, and position it where the hole must come.
make sure u select the layer with the box in front and de square layer in back.
Hit shift R (Drill)
select axis to perform the drill
select tunnel...
works pretty fast in lw :p
but then again anything i model in lw works pretty fast.

Monster Jack
02-01-2002, 06:47 AM
Werner - though pensart is right, the boolean operation that he explained will work, I'm guessing you want to stay away from booleans since they tend to create unwanted affects on your geometry (inlcuding LW's boolean's).

I don't have a solution for you other than to say that this is the case for a lot of features that other packages have and LW doesn't - there are ways around the time saving features but that seems to be the problem, doesn't it? I'm not ripping' on LW, I think it rocks but, man it could really use some of those nice tools that other high end pakcages have.

btw - excellent work in your gallery, can't wait to see what you do with LW.

-J

ToddG
02-01-2002, 07:26 AM
having used just about every "high end" package, it's been my experience LW has pretty much the best modeling tools of any off the shlef software.

for that matter . . . in that shape thats shown, select all of the polygons but the face ones, minus the center, and delete them . . then extrude the remaining ones. 2 steps!

KOlson
02-01-2002, 07:41 AM
while were sorta talkin about max here... I have a few questions. does max have layers such as modeler does and do max subd's support n-sided polys?

Chewey
02-01-2002, 09:14 AM
you could use the plugin "quad sew" to accomplish
the framed portion of the window once you've created a box as shown with the polys removed where the window is located.

If I needed a wall with a window like you have, I'd just create a flat, square polygon with the same amount of segments you show (3x3 segments) and kill/remove the center poly. Copy and paste the geometry to layer 2, next extrude or smooth shift the layer 1 geometry to the wall thickness required and then copy layer 2, and paste into layer 1 and merge points.

Sounds like a lot of work but the process is simple, quick and done mostly with key strokes.

Werner
02-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I must say, I'm enjoying Lightwave (didn't think I would say that after 5 years of Max). I'm still learning and I'm still thinking the max way...I guess I shouldn't do that. Mesh Tools for max makes modeling a dream come true. I hope they will implement edge manipulation in the next version of Lightwave. Once you've used it,
you will never go back. All I need is the connect tool...like in this case, or just selecting two edges and hitting connect to create the split in poly.
Donít get me wrong, I'm already in love with Lightwave and will eventually master it. I just wish I had more time on my hands...:p

Thanks again (till the next question)
Werner

Chewey
02-01-2002, 01:29 PM
I'm doing the exact opposite of what you're doing.
I'm learning Max after 6 years of Lightwave. I'm getting pretty nice results out of Max already although I've gotten pretty stumped by the way the stack works at times.

I doubt we'll be seeing edge tools in Lightwave in the next release. I'd recommend the usual modeling tools like smooth shift, bandsaw, kag extender, spin quads, spin tris, and definitely verti-bevel.

Werner
02-01-2002, 02:57 PM
Well, I think if you can work these two application fluently, you DON'T need Maya. :D
Tell me Chewey, are you using Mesh Tools in Max?
The stack is one of the best things in Max, in my opinion. You'll learn to love it.
At the moment I'm using the Lightwave pdf (help file) and Dan Alban's book "Inside Lightwave 6". It's a slow process, but I'm having a sh*t load of fun! :D :D :D oh, the people on this forum are very helpful as well!

KOlson
02-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Seriously guys :)

I'm looking into taking up a second app and I think 3dsmax may be the one.. Maya is too expensive. So I would really like to know if MAX has layers like LW modeler and if the subds in MAX can support n-sided polys? :)

Chewey
02-01-2002, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure about the nsided subds in Max but so far, I haven't found that Max has layers equivalent to Lightwave's. Maybe you should ask the questions in the max forum where the long time users hang out. Even if the answers to both your questions are no I'd still check max out. I'm quite impressed with the quality of renders I'm getting even with Max's standard render engine.
I've been importing a lot of Lightwave work into max and comparing the ouput from both packages with equivalent textured models.

Werner, I have mesh tools but haven't spent much time modeling in Max yet. Seems to be pretty popular from what I read. I need to spend some time either learning the Max keystrokes or setting up my own set of keys and quad command layouts so I can navigate without having to constantly visit the stack. As far as Maya goes, I suppose it all depends on what you need any 3d ap for. If it's for finding employment then one might want to focus on the aps that the shops currently use. If you are on your own creating 3d content then it's up to personal preference mostly.

policarpo
02-04-2002, 01:31 AM
Chewey:

if you want layers in Max, then you should check out this Maxscript from the gearheads at rezn8...

here's the link:
http://www.rezn8.com/gearhead/

click on the link for FREEWARE and then select Layer Manager for your version of Max.

here's the description of what it will do for you:

Basics
Create an infinite number of layers
Hide & Freeze Layers
Layer Properties -object properties assigned on a layer level
Move Layers Up and Down in the stack
Render Settings Per Layer

Active Layers - Auto Assignment
Making a Layer active enables actions to be taken on that layer, such as Creating Objects, Deleting Layers, Moving Layers. An Object created on a layer automatically assumes the properties of that layer. For example, if you're layer options are set to box mode, then when an object is created on that layer it will be created in box mode. This includes lights - if the Layer Lights option is checked, any light created on a layer will have it's inclusion list automatically created with just the objects on the active layer included.

Alternate Materials
The alternate material is a separate material from your object material. There are 3 types of Alternate materials available:
1)Matte/Shadow - provides all the standard Matte/Shadow Parameters
2)Solid Color - Creates a 100% self illuminated material of the chosen color
3)Pick - any material chosen from a library, the material editor, etc.
When the Alternate material is activated, all objects on the layer assume the chosen alternate material.

i used it a bit in the past, but i didn't really need it personally at the time.

enjoy.

- p o l i c a r p o

oh and hey...Kolson...Maya will be free in a few weeks. It's the Personal Learning Edition we've all heard about....you may as well go for it!

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Special/ple_announce/index.html

:D

Chewey
02-04-2002, 02:54 AM
sounds cool! One thing I haven't found yet in Max is a way to select some polys on a given mesh object and hide them so I can get to selecting other polys that aren't easily accessible. That script should be mighty handy for a lot of tasks.

Thanks!

policarpo
02-04-2002, 04:07 AM
chewey:

that should be fairly easy.

what you need to do is select the group of polys you want to hide and set them up as a group in the NAMED SELECTION SETS drop down (the blank field and drop down located next to the Open Track View icon in the Main Toolbar Tab).

Name the group whatever makes sense (like "Tip of Nose", or whatever). You can create as many groups as you want within this pulldown and retrieve them at a later time.

The Named Selection Sets drop down is context sensitive, so if you are in Vertex mode, you can have groups of Vertex based selections, or go into Face mode and group your faces there). Just remember, that if you set up a group as "Tip Of Nose", in face/poly mode, you can only access them in face mode. "Tip of Nose" will not appear in this pulldown if you are in Vertex Mode, or Edge Mode...Does this make sense?

The reason I suggest grouping them, is because it will make it easier to access those specific polys if you need to get back to editing those things they were originally obscuring.

What you do next, is right Mouse click, and select Hide (Poly) and get to work on those hidden pieces. Select Unhide (Poly) to bring them back in to the viewport.

Let me know if you need further clarification on this...Max is a very deep program and there are tons of ways of doing the same thing.

cheers,
-policarpo

Chewey
02-04-2002, 09:27 AM
That's going to be a real time saver! Appreciate you taking the time to post the clear and concise info. I obviously need to spend some more time going over the docs and some of the max books I've purchased over the last year or so.

tejfel
02-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Check http://www.flay.com
The scripts name is: polysew

tejfel

policarpo
02-05-2002, 03:44 AM
No problem Chewey...glad i could help.

:-)

pensart
02-05-2002, 02:56 PM
Tejfel,

Thanks man for the link, this plugin is awesome!

Cman
02-10-2002, 12:42 AM
I wrote it for these type situations...however, for your problem Quadsew may have worked as well...
Be sure to check it again, as I just updated PolySew and Basic Loft scripts today.

Jacobo
02-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Max and XSI are the type of software that are programmed to give you everything in a wrapped box. Like, there's a command for every diddly thing you can imagine, and it goes without saying that Max itself is the most heavily plug-in dependent 3D package out there today, even after version 4 came out! In LW or Maya though, you have the ability to work intuitively and imaginatively! Please don't get me wrong, but wanting to hit one key or strike a command to open up a hole in a box would only make you lazy instead of imaginative and productive! To make a whole in such a box in LW as illustrated above, you would only have to delete the facing polys and bridge the gap in-between by hand, and there are also a dozen more ways, ranging from the most time consuming to the most practical! If there are, say, not too many polys to be made to form the bridge, I would do it poly by poly, which would only take me less than a minute to do so. If there were too many facets involved, I wouldn't delete the opposing faces, instead I would select one side, extrude it towards on top of the other one and hit delete and merge the overlapping points all together by hitting m... It's that simple... I know that XSI has a bridge the gap type of feature, but I find that ridiculous to be implemented in a modeling environment. It might be considered by many as a great helper, but I believe these type of features serve no purpose other than making the user less imaginative and lazy during the creation process. Just trust ur instincts and try to stretch the boundaries of the software, that's all there's to it!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.