PDA

View Full Version : Walk_Cycle_Female

EthanReitz
06-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Hi people,
comments and critique much needed on this walk cycle. It's supposed to be a relaxed, unhurried, realistic/natural walk which fits the age and personality of the woman. 30-40. Conservative.
http://www.reitzmachine.com/video/June_walk.avi
The file is divx.

Hands/fingers have not been given any secondary animation yet.

All input appreciated. :)

liquidik
06-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, it's pretty difficult to judge only with a side view.

What can be improved is that at the moment the hips seems to be stuck and the same is for the spine and head, which as no reaction to the contact and passing poses.
I think you should also take care of "what leads what" in the sense that shoulder movement is driving the arm swing, and that is driven by the trunk rotation.

Keep up the good work!
:)

KielFiggins
06-24-2004, 12:48 AM
The general flow is pretty good. Like noted above, the side view is really hard to judge. Definatly start to at more twists, sway and sutlities toit. the hips are far too linear, the chest doesnt ofset the lefs or show any bounce or bend. the head is also too static.

Though i dont rememeber the last time i walked in high heels, i think there should be a bit more overlap when she steps up.

Nice start never the less.

EthanReitz
06-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi liquidik, KielFiggins, thank you very much for the helpful criticism. Nice to have some straightforward good solid pointers. I was getting to the point where I just couldn't see what was wrong. So I've tried to incorporate it. A little more lead in the shoulders and a complete reversal in the offset of the hips seemed to give a lot more natural movement. I think I had it backwards in the original. The head kind of follows. A little more overlap in the steps.

http://www.reitzmachine.com/video/June_walk_02.avi

Feel free to rip it apart and get picky with it.

Thanks, Ethan

KielFiggins
06-24-2004, 09:21 PM
The walk is looking better then before. A few more things:

-get some reference, right off the bat i know that A Night at the Roxbury has a nice shot of a female walking, same with ms. congienality (spelling) where she gets taught how to walk. Both would help adding that extra "bit" to it.

-since your using maya, in the graph editor, break the tangets on the feet, their still to floaty when there coming in contact with the ground. remeber that they support all the weight and need to show that.

-the rotate on the feet isnt getting across when shes stepping, she pointing a bit to flat, try a bit more so that the toes point more upwards when she steps forward. Now this might look worse, but its worth checking out.

liquidik
06-24-2004, 09:29 PM
I agree, it looks better.

Before going on the secondary animation, I'll still have a look at his centre of balance. ATM it seems too much backward, while with that kind of shoes it should go way much forward.

Look also for weight shift in the steps...

Excuse my bad english :P

Nice work
Liquid

EthanReitz
06-25-2004, 12:36 AM
liquidik and KielFiggins - Thanks again for the help - I'm on it.

KielFiggins, I'm using Maya 6. Cycles are in the trax editor. I want to make relative clip absolute by merging it with itself or another clip. Two problems: it bakes the animation which means I have to clear out all the unnecessary keys - hundreds - and it pops back to it's absolute position. Is this a Maya 6 problem?

I know this isn't a software forum but if you have any answers off the top of your head don't hesitate to tell :)

KielFiggins
06-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Ahh, the good ole trax editor. Honestly I havent used it that much. What i would suggest is trying Relative instead of absolute and moving the world node (though that might defeat the purpose for whatever you wish to acheive). I dunno about the whole baking issue, so im unable to aid there. But do let me (us) know if you figure it out. Ill do some test and ask around and see if i cant find out anything. Good luck.

EthanReitz
06-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi KielFiggins - what I was hoping to achieve was a seperation between the walk cycle and the start/stop bookends so that I could cycle the walk as many times as I wanted and then stick on the stop clip. Now this was keyframed at zero to 35 frames. Much too fast as it turned out - I put it on the end of the 4 walk cycles at relative where it fit rather nicely. Then I scaled it up to 45 frames. Then I wanted to merge it with itself (something I have done in 4.5) in order to have an absolute clip starting at frame 144 - thus I could load the curves into the graph editor to tweak the animation of my stop clip for that specific time while retaining my original clip for further use. Problem was that wouldn't merge to itself so I had to merge it to another clip and then split it. First successful workaround. Not too bad. But then I look at the curves and there's a key every frame. Not only that but it doesn't look like I can simplify the keys en masse. Okay, so it's not that bad but it doesn't seem too efficient. Plus I seem to recall merging clips to themselves with no problems in earlier maya versions.

Anyway - it's 2:40 in the am here in Germany so I'm going to work a little more on the animation tomorrow.

liquidik - good point on the center of balance. I will work more on the basics before I move on to the secondary animation.

Cheers :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.