PDA

View Full Version : Need help with copies attachement

mojdah
06-22-2004, 06:01 AM
There is a very small operation that is overlooked in almost every tutorial i have read on mesh modeling. Most of the time i end up modeling only half the project and making a mirror copy to fill te rest. My question is this: How do i make those two objects become one? I tried wielding the vertices....i tried attach...i tried a few things...in vain.

Every tutorial i read just said something like "when you're done pasting those two pieces then....". So i need help.

Thanks already for helping a new member.

salmonmoose
06-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Ok, you can use Mirror (make sure it's a copy, not an instance) then attatch, select seam verts and weld.

Or, if you're using max5 or max6 you can use a the symmertry modifier, which mirrors, chops, and welds your model all in one click.

The symmetry modifier is the best choice

mojdah
06-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I did the mirror but the thing is....the attach option stays greyed out. Wich means i can't make those two objects merge into one and therefore i cannot weld the vertices.

I'm sure there's a little detail i must have forgotten or something i overlooked.

McSpirit
06-22-2004, 10:02 PM
First you need to select one of the new objects.

Right click somewhere in your viewport. In the menu you choose convert too -> poly

now do the same thing with the mirrored model... you should now be able to attach and weld the vertexs
:thumbsup:

mojdah
06-23-2004, 12:48 AM
I don't get it, those are very straightforward instructions and i know i am following them well, but the option to attach is still greyed out after i convert them to polys.

I also tried the symetry modifier and it would seem to work very well....except that i cannot find a way to set wich side of the objet it spawns from. So i keep getting a second leg on the wrong side of the first one ...but they are welded at the foot so the welding works, just not at the right place.

Is there something i'm doing wrong?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.