PDA

View Full Version : Ever lose cut and paste in Modeler 8?

NanoGator
06-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Argh. I've been using LW 8 for a month now. But today I have a strange problem. I've lose cut and paste. Those features stop responding, so I have to restart modeler. No, I don't have the caps lock key on, and no the button for cut/paste doesn't change anything. I have NFI what's going on here. Anybody ever experience that?

Ziah
06-21-2004, 08:18 PM
try using the button instead of a quick key:shrug:..if it happens dunno something wrong with ur config

NanoGator
06-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Nar it blew away the buttons to. Clicking them ... it was like it wasn't accepting the click. Eveything else worked fine, just not cut and paste.

Configs? I doubt it. It was something that would work and fail after a time,a as opposed to totally not working. I've rebooted since then and I seem to be okay. It's very strange, though. I was hoping somebody else ran into it and had some info to share.

meatycheesyboy
06-21-2004, 08:31 PM
This may not be of much help, but I occasionally have this problem with other apps, specifically, Photoshop and Powerpoint but I've never had this problem with Lightwave. The only way I can fix the problem is by shutting down the computer and restarting. So, maybe its a Windows issue and not a LW issue? I'm running XP Pro Sp1 btw.

Ziah
06-21-2004, 09:36 PM
will they ever be a stable system? an please no mac users say os or panther or whartever bin there done that else

hmm linux?

Vectronic
06-22-2004, 02:01 AM
as far as Photoshop, and PowerPoint go, its almost always a PageFile problem, either running out of PageFile swap, or having its fragmented really bad, usually only happens if you choose not to "Let Windows Manage" your PageFile, because when your PageFile becomes full when its not automatically managed, it just stops, if its automatically managed it increases, and increases filling your entire hard drive if need be... but ive never had that problem with LightWave because it doesnt multiply things like Photoshop and PowerPoint do, but that could have been what it was...or maybe it was an error in your physical memory normally it will pop up with a "unable to access "whatever" at 0000x0x00x0" but sometimes it wont... if it worked after restrating then its either one or the other, but then again that doesnt really help now does it?...lol try increasing your PageFile if it happens again, thats about all I can say...

HarverdGrad
06-22-2004, 02:33 AM
Hello Nanogator,

Next time this happens to you- open up Notepad or some other text editor, and type some text. Copy and paste this text to itself. Verify copy & paste works. Try the copy & paste function in Lightwave.

I have a PC at work (WinXP Pro)- that doesn't run Lightwave, but a lot of Development Apps.

One of those Applications (Visual Studio), loses the copy & paste capability. Doing the cut & paste in a text editor seems to restore it. I program all the time and I've never had this happen before. It just started happening about 3 months ago.

The closest thing I have found is it might be related to Office 2003. Microsoft Office added a layered clipboard. I think it hosed something.

It will be interesting to find out what this is and if there is a common cause.

Regards,
JB

pixelranger
06-22-2004, 09:29 AM
I've had that problem too, once. I hadn't been doing much since I opened Modeler, so I just shut it down again and restarted it. That fixed it. I have no clue what happened though...

Ziah
06-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Hello Nanogator,

Next time this happens to you- open up Notepad or some other text editor, and type some text. Copy and paste this text to itself. Verify copy & paste works. Try the copy & paste function in Lightwave.

I have a PC at work (WinXP Pro)- that doesn't run Lightwave, but a lot of Development Apps.

One of those Applications (Visual Studio), loses the copy & paste capability. Doing the cut & paste in a text editor seems to restore it. I program all the time and I've never had this happen before. It just started happening about 3 months ago.

The closest thing I have found is it might be related to Office 2003. Microsoft Office added a layered clipboard. I think it hosed something.

It will be interesting to find out what this is and if there is a common cause.

Regards,
JB

thanks dude great tip..but what off those who don't have that kinda stuff?

for me i use to get this problem when i din't have my workstation as a work station..then i took off all the rubsih and kept it to the basic operating system

with nothing more than 3d apps and ps on it for when i send over my textures to my 3d workstation

i get it far less now....i get it sometimes whn of if i have mutiple instances of lw modeler and layout running and say ps and a bunch of other apps that use ram

meatycheesyboy
06-22-2004, 05:08 PM
as far as Photoshop, and PowerPoint go, its almost always a PageFile problem, either running out of PageFile swap, or having its fragmented really bad, usually only happens if you choose not to "Let Windows Manage" your PageFile, because when your PageFile becomes full when its not automatically managed, it just stops, if its automatically managed it increases, and increases filling your entire hard drive if need be... but ive never had that problem with LightWave because it doesnt multiply things like Photoshop and PowerPoint do, but that could have been what it was...or maybe it was an error in your physical memory normally it will pop up with a "unable to access "whatever" at 0000x0x00x0" but sometimes it wont... if it worked after restrating then its either one or the other, but then again that doesnt really help now does it?...lol try increasing your PageFile if it happens again, thats about all I can say...

I think you're probably spot on about the page file. I've been very close to running out of HD space lately and have been thnking of buying a few more drives to help alleviate the problem, and it looks like it would solve more than just space issues for me. Thanks.

jfornasar
06-23-2004, 01:00 AM
I haven't had this problem with LW, but it occasionally happens in Word (books with heavy graphics and text, getting over 100 - 150 megs).

If I had copied and pasted a large amount of text, I'll select a letter or word and copy it (clears the text clipboard).

Same thing with graphics - I usually copy them in Photoshop and paste them into Word... I'll go back to PS, select a couple of pixels, and copy to clear the graphics clipboard.

It also pays to use a defragger that will also defrag the swap file (Nortons or whatever you like). Definitely a plus when doing heavy work.

I usually wait a year or two before letting any new MSOffice functions loose on my machine. If you want to have some fun in work, activate the Office "FindFast" on someones machine (preferably the office weasel).

Vectronic
06-23-2004, 02:48 PM
you can also use the Clipboard utility in Windows to view whats on your clipboard, and remove it from the clipboard, also allows you to view it in other formats, which isnt at all handy to be able to view an image as text, but its kinda cool sometimes lol... you can also save whats on your clipboard as an image, or a text file...so forth, it should be be located at:

Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools

If you cant find it there, either navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\clipbrd.exe
or just use the run command and type "clipbrd" and it will start

It might reside in C:\Windows\System, for those of you running 9x, ME...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.