PDA

View Full Version : Pod Racer Scene

PhilipS
06-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi.
First of all, I want to say, that I am not sure, whether this is the right forum or if I should have posted this in the "evocative" part, so if I was wrong, please move it.

So, here is my scene:
http://www.c4dboard.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=43705

I am using Cinema 4D (...who would have thought? ...regarding the link above...)

It is still WIP, but I don't know, what to change or add in order to improve the picture. However, I am quite content with the Pod Racer itself.

I don't know exactly, what else I should have mentioned. If there are any questions, just ask.

cu,
Philip

incogn1tos
06-22-2004, 03:26 AM
I kinda really like the sand, the pod racer is kinda nifty, and the shadow on the sand from the racer is cool.

But The rocks in the background look awful. They look like you used Bryce and copy pasted. I think if you meld it in better to the sand, and tweak shadows throughout, it could be a really nice picture.

For instance I think the whole scene is just too light. Darken it up a bit and work with shadows and that may fix the rocks for you all in its own.

I'd like to see this again when your finished with it.

linkmatrix
06-22-2004, 04:04 AM
The scene looks good with the pod racer, but the rock, dust clod and the mountain don't look right. Th sand plane look surrealistic with the caustic on the turbine guides. GOOd work just need minor changes.

AlphaJoe
06-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Ok, first off, let me tell you what I like. The pod racer model is very good, I could have used that for a compositing project I worked on a few months ago :) The texture of the sand is very nice, and the sky is quite good.

Things I would fix:

First, the pod racer is way too clean and shiny, try and tone down the specular a bit and give it a more worn and dusty look. It is racing across a sandy desert after all :)

Second, the rocks sticking out of the ground don't have that same rocky/sandy feel to them. Try and use the same technique that you used on the sandy floor. The wear and tear on the rocks is partly what generates the sand, so they will have roughly the same color composition.

Lastly, the flame coming out of the exaust. It is a bit too solid and yellow. Try and pull back on the opacity and try and add some blue to the mix. I am unfamiliar with how Cinema 4D does textures and FX, but in Maya (my native package) I would create a custom ramp with some turbulence and stretch it out a little. Ramp the transparency and give it a little bit of a heat shimmer effect with refraction, or do it in Shake.

Hope this helps, I like the scene alot.

AlphaJoe
06-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Oops, I forgot one more thing. The dust cloud... Again, I am going to falter a bit because I am unfamiliar with how Cinema 4D does particle effects, but each bulge in the cloud seems to be it's own entity. The puffs don't cast shadows on each other and they have their own semi-specular highlights. this gives them a very unrealistic look. The cloud should be a little lighter on top where the sun is hitting it, and darker at it's base where it is obscuring the light. It should also be a bit more solid, but also alot more transparent around it's edges where the cloud isn't going to be as thick.

Looking at your scene, the dust that is closest to the racer itself looks way better than the the trail at the far left side of the view, albiet still a little too thick. Try and get the whole cloud looking more like that first part, with a bit more transparency.

Usagi
06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Work on the lighting. At the moment everything is almost evenly lit. Even the shadows are very bright. This looks a bit boring. I guess the image would gain alot from a higher contrast between lights and shadows.

PhilipS
07-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Thank you, for your critiques.
However, I won t change everything, that was mentioned.
I tried to make the shadows darker and I moved one of the Landscape Objects
Additionally, I made the dust cloud more transparent, but for it is my first attempt to use the Pyrocluster Module, I don't really know, what else to change to make it look better.

It is a "bit" unrealistic, that the racer is so clean, but I think it looks good and it fits into the relatively simple style of the image.

Here is the current version and a picture of the Pod Racer only:

http://www.c4dboard.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=50674

http://www.c4dboard.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=319

cu

PhilipS
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
I improved the rocks and that is my final image.

http://www.c4dboard.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=325

thx,
cu,
Philip

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.