PDA

View Full Version : what's the difference...

swampthing
07-23-2002, 11:02 PM
Probably a gnoob question, but you gotta ask to learn....

Anyways, been farting around with the XSI demo CD and wondering, what's the differnece between XSI and softimage 4.0? Why should you choose one or the other? etc.

d8ed
07-24-2002, 07:32 AM
well XSI is the latest from Softimage.. written from scratch.. you obviously know what it is since you're playing with the experience cd.. Softimage 3D doesnt even look like its a windows program.. it once was and still is one of the best animation and modeling packages out there. the whole yoda light saber fight scene in episode 2 is all softimage 3d.. can't go into too many details about the differences except to say that it's being touted as the entry level Softimage package at the moment.. at 1500 bucks i think.. XSI at its lowest available version (essential) is many times that. Softimage is slowly trying to bring all the great features of SI3D into XSI so I'm guessing it's time is limited. if you're just starting out.. i'd stick to XSI for now.

Atyss
07-24-2002, 01:27 PM
http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5153&highlight=SI3D

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

ambient-whisper
07-24-2002, 01:40 PM
its weird that you said in there that xsi poly modeling is weak.
i think its good enough. definitely needs enhancements and better referencing tools but i dont think it deserves to be called weak.

Atyss
07-24-2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks for pointing this out, actually I meant SI3D instead of XSI but was probably distracted at this moment. SI3D poly tools are inadequate (though I don't know for SI3D v4).

I think XSI has kick-ass poly tools, plain and simple. There is still place for improvements (some useful tools and contextual menu customization would be great) but so far I'm very happy.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

HapZungLam
07-25-2002, 01:45 AM
once i got my hands on XSI, i never go back to 3D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.