PDA

View Full Version : Car_multimaterial

DDS
06-21-2004, 09:19 AM
hi!

One question I had when making a low poly car. Do you know the maximum number of materials I can put in a single low-poly car model?

Thanks in advance!

DDS

BiTMAP
06-21-2004, 10:07 AM
that would be determined by your game engine.

DDS
06-21-2004, 10:10 AM
yeah...but more or less...let's imagine a game of 2003-2004...their engine must have a maximum (per car)...do you know what's the aprox. average?

thanks in advance!

robinb
06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
That's a bit difficult to say even for current gen stuff. It depends on the platform, the engine and what else is going on in the scene.

For the PC fewer larger textures/ materials are usually better, but conversely the PS2 handles lots of smaller ones better. It's not so easy to divide up something like a car and apply many 128x128 (for instance) textures to it, so it's still more likely that several larger textures will be used.

Here's an example case- The outer shell will have one material, the inside another, and probably a third for the wheels and maybe a separate translucent material for the windows. In terms of material effects, it's probable that you'd have a reflection map of some sort on the body and the windows. The interior will be probably be simple texturing as will certain parts of the car body that aren't meant to be shiny.

So that makes- 1 opaque shiny material for the car body, 3 opaque matt materials (non-shiny body parts, wheels, interior), and one translucent shiny material (windows).

This is only an example of course.

DDS
06-21-2004, 07:30 PM
very good explanation :applause:

thanks a lot, very useful

DDS

M-CLK
06-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi,

I would say you probably need the following:

Shiny Paint - for the bodywork
Chrome - wheels & trim etc
Dull material - interior & tyres
Glass - windows and maybe lights.

Hope this helps,

LB.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.