PDA

View Full Version : Ability to Delete my old Threads?

ceql
06-21-2004, 06:23 AM
Hi guys,

I wondering, can we bring back the ability to delete our own old threads? :)

Now with the nice new, shiny vbulletin3, I can see (through my profile) all the really, really, old threads I've started, many of which have broken image links and discontinued work...

Thanks!

hoochoochoochoo
06-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Can I post a "me-too?"

I'd like to delete the "delete post" back, sometimes the browser response is slow and you might double or triple send your post. I'm sure it just adds to slowing the CGTalk server (even if it's .0000025 of a nanosecond..) :scream:

Leonard
06-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Hi guys,

I wondering, can we bring back the ability to delete our own old threads? :)

Now with the nice new, shiny vbulletin3, I can see (through my profile) all the really, really, old threads I've started, many of which have broken image links and discontinued work...

Thanks!
I need to bring this up with the mods then make a decision - it may take a couple of weeks as I'll be out next week.

The reason why we disallow deleting threads is because there's a lot of good content that we don't want deleted. If you have 100 replies to your thread and it's all useful stuff, and then you decide to delete it, all the 100 replies goes with it.

With posts, it get's confusing if people can delete their posts because you may have replies to your post, and if you delete it, the thread no longer makes sense.

If you need to delete a post from a double/triple post, just go "edit" the post and put there "Double post" or something. Usually one of the mods will clean it up if they see it.

But again, I'll have to bring this up to the rest of the mods as there may be other pros and cons for letting users delete their posts and threads.

Leo

hoochoochoochoo
07-06-2004, 01:26 PM
If you need to delete a post from a double/triple post, just go "edit" the post and put there "Double post" or something. Usually one of the mods will clean it up if they see it.

Leo
Thanks for your time Leo, I accept your point about not wanting to lose good or interesting content. Would there be a way then to notify a Mod that you have a double/triple post or am I making too big a deal out of this?

ceql
07-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Great work on the shiny new Vbulletin CGTalk so far, Leo! :)

It'd be cool if we could delete old threads that fulfilled a certain criteria; (for instance; not many replys, no stars, a certain age... like a year or two, no visits to it for a long time, type of forum that it was posted in, etc.), or if there was a button that we could press to lodge it into a place where it can be reviewed for deletion by a Mod :)
(or, would it be better to just PM a moderator and ask them to delete it for you?)

The fact that we now have a [very useful] "Find all threads started by [username]" feature in the user profiles, means that every thread we start now goes onto an [easily-reachable] kind of a permanent record.

Which can be a really good thing, especially when you're looking up people that give out alot of good advice all the time, or to see the gallery threads of your favourite artists, etc.

But, some threads could also be kind of embarrassing (not that I'm that interesting enough to be looked up, to begin with :p), but regardless I'd like to be able to clear up some really old (and sometimes embarrassingly so :blush: ) gallery threads!
I could just add a big text on it to notify that it is an old thread (noone really reads the dates, after all) on the oft chance that anyone would stumble in, but it'd be easier if it was just removed altogether :)
(and it'd serve to unclog the database of old, abandoned, obsolete threads too)

As an aside, would it be possible to bring back the Buddy list in the user Control Panel? (hehe, or maybe it already exists but I've got it setup wrongly, but I found it really useful in the old setup :) ), well, only when you have some spare time left, I know that there is still some fine-tuning to be done and how busy you must be lately! :)

Thanks,

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.