PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh Challenge Questions/Issues

Pages : [1] 2 3

Leonard
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Post your questions or raise any issues here. If it's noteworthy, it will be included in the official FAQ.

Please only post questions or raise issues that have not already been answered in the FAQ or previous posts as this thread will get very big shortly...

Thanks,

L.

Hamsterhead
03-16-2004, 10:39 PM
I have a few questions, to start off

- What are the rules on photomanipulation in the 2D challenge?, mostly on these forums its you should only use photos as references, and I was just wondering if the same rule applies,

-You say that it needs to be mechanically enhance and CAN be joined to something larger, but can you join two different lifeforms for mutual gain, in a way that is mechanical?

I think thats all at the moment, great challenge btw :thumbsup:

Slav
03-16-2004, 11:41 PM
i want to join this challenge and i am not able to do so ... the forums notifed me that i dont have permission to post a new thread. Kindly let me know what's going on please and thanks.

help is much appreciated
g'day.

Kenter
03-17-2004, 01:20 AM
Can we incorporate a scene or environment with the character?
I think that a scene could really showoff more of what the character is all about.It's job or purpose.Plus with all the time alotted us that would be no problem.I really hope a scene/environment is acceptable.Please tell me it is.

:bounce: :beer:
Great topic,spectacular prize's too,thanks CG Networks,you rule.:beer: :beer:

RhysyngSun
03-17-2004, 01:28 AM
Feel free to depict the surgical procedure of the mechanization process.

I know the idea of the challenge isn't to make the most discusting images we can, however, I'd like to know how much is too much as far as graphical depiction is concerned?

LaoTzu
03-17-2004, 03:36 AM
My question is basicly the same as Hamsterheads, only in respect to the 3d challenge.

Is integrating a photo of the lifeform with full 3d mechanics and a full 3d scene backdrop allowed?

Thanks!!!

AshtonWoolley
03-17-2004, 04:52 AM
How do i enter ? :(

HeHe Oww ! :blush:

ASW

cafe
03-17-2004, 05:09 AM
Whats the deadline?

Zack
03-17-2004, 05:30 AM
All challengers are required to upload WIP's and images via the online submission system, which will automatically post theimage on CGTalk.

What about concepts?

ScribbleHEAD
03-17-2004, 06:18 AM
Is it possible for us to team up with a buddy for a double entry? i.e where a 3d entry could use my 2d concepts and stuff?

Psotek
03-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Hmmm seems no one has asked this question but... can we enter both 2D and 3D sections of the challenge?

-Bartosz

BRUTICUS
03-17-2004, 06:51 AM
Bartosz - You can enter the two categories simultaneously, but you cannot enter images with the same concept/subject matter in both. Each must be a distinctly different piece.

ScribbleHEAD - I read in an earlier thread that we wont be able to team up with a buddy.

I want to know if we are allowed to put any post effects on the 3D section image and if so to what extent or if it has to be a straight render.

R.Vor
03-17-2004, 08:23 AM
First I want ot say that maybe I haven`t understood something or
didn`t read carefully, if so sorry.

1. Can I have maybe 2 or more characters in a scene ?
2. Does everything in the scene must be "modernized" ?
3. Yep, same question about environment, it`s better to have it, right ?
4. It can be everything from worm to some T-rex :p ?
5. Must it be a real lifeform, modernized, or can it be a little bit cartoony ?

Thanks
R.Vor

Sherif.Nagib
03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
what is the deadline for registering.. is it the same for submitting ?.. i.e 18 June 2004 ?

UrbanFuturistic
03-17-2004, 10:41 AM
As stated in this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126914&pagenumber=3) this challenge is for solo applicants only.

I have a question about plugin restrictions that have applied to previous challenges eg. the one on having to model hair rather than using a hair plugin etc.

What restrictions apply?

regards, Paul (still considering whether to enter)

fredconv
03-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by zero2zillion
What about concepts?

hi guys ^^

as it s my first challenge ever, so even if this question may be silly i ll post it ^^'

how can i post my work ? is it just by clicking on the post a repply like i did for my other post and put a link to my word online or is there another way to do it ?

thanks for the futur answer ^^'

SHAAAMMEEE on meeeeeee sorryyyyy

good luck for the challenge anyway ;)

Pyke
03-17-2004, 11:11 AM
::Can we incorporate a scene or environment with the character?::

Yes. The render final image must be an ENTIRE COMPLETED SCENE. Not just a model.
It must be a COMPLETE artwork.

::wHATS THE DEADLINE FOR THIS CHALLENGE?::

Well, its a 3 month challenge...so 3 months from now?

::What about concepts?::

Concepts are always part of the WORK IN PROGRESS.

::Is it possible for us to team up with a buddy for a double entry? i.e where a 3d entry could use my 2d concepts and stuff::?

It does say tht this must be an individual challenge. Of course somebody else drawing inspiration from your work, but putting to gether there own concepts would be acceptable...

::Hmmm seems no one has asked this question but... can we enter both 2D and 3D sections of the challenge?::

Yes.

::I want to know if we are allowed to put any post effects on the 3D section image and if so to what extent or if it has to be a straight render.::

Most of the image has to be 3D. Taking a photo, and adding in a 3D Element is not allowed. Say 3/4'th of your image has to be 3D. Use your own common sence and judgement.
Post effects arent only allowed, but encouraged! No work is complete with out post work IMHO.

::1. Can I have maybe 2 or more characters in a scene ?::

Yes. You could populate your scene with 3000 characters if your PC can handle it.

::2. Does everything in the scene must be "modernized" ?::

Nope. Go 'steampunk' if ya want!

::3. Yep, same question about environment, it`s better to have it, right ?::

The scene is going to be judged on the ENTIRE scene, characters, environments, textures, lighthing...

::4. It can be everything from worm to some T-rex ?

And all the aomeba's inbetween... Basically-yes. Anything, as long s it fits into the 'Mechanicle Flesh' idea.::

::5. Must it be a real lifeform, modernized, or can it be a little bit cartoony ? ::

The example of Wallace and Gromit is given-so anything goes. Serious, cartoony, etc etc etc.

::what is the deadline for registering.. is it the same for submitting ?.. i.e 18 June 2004 ?

In the AW challenge, people where entering in the last 3 days of the challenge...::

::I have a question about plugin restrictions that have applied to previous challenges eg. the one on having to model hair rather than using a hair plugin etc.::

I would assume its a case of use any and all tools that you have at your disposal to create your image.

-----------------------

Bear in mind that these answers are just assumptions. I could be wrong-but alot of these issues have been answered in previous challenges.

MikaelPersson
03-17-2004, 11:42 AM
The rules wasn't very clear on who owns the final artwork. In the last challenge you had no rights at all to your work. But this time it seems like there is a possibility that you might retain some rights.
Could someone clarify, please.

cheers,
Mikael

Radacci
03-17-2004, 12:01 PM
does it have to be mechanical parts?
or can we use any other material, such as wood,bone,rock or something? any of these are harder then flesh, and would make you more durable...

fredconv
03-17-2004, 12:19 PM
hi again ^^

would like to know if i can post my explanation comments in french for my one work ? it would be easier to explain what i did want tot to ^^

bref en bon francais koi ^^

Marcia Fei
03-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Please everybody, read the brief. Almost all of the questions in this "issues" thread have been answered already.

M

Kenter
03-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Pyke: Are your answers official?
In any case thanks.It's appreaciated from my end.:beer:

Pyke
03-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Not at all. Im just a user-but alot of these type of questions were either addressed in previous challenges, or are in the FAQ.

The mods must feel free to clear it all up!!

DirtySkillet
03-17-2004, 01:57 PM
HELP!!!

My thread disapeared! I just did a search!

It was called Ari M. Robbins.

Do I have to sign up again?

dr1ch
03-17-2004, 02:05 PM
i checked the prizes...is it right the the 2d section has more than the 3d (which only have the boxx workstation)...if so....why?

thanks

Pixarman
03-17-2004, 02:12 PM
I was wondering if I could do a sculpture, out of clay, for the 3D part of the contest? Does it have to be a completely digital creation or can it be a finished and painted sculpture set in a diorama scene??

Just wondering...

peach4at
03-17-2004, 03:43 PM
what if i want to combine 2d/3d? i mean this topic (machineflesh) tends to become realised that way (at least for me :))...
where to categorize? or simply not possible?

Slav
03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
i dont know where my other post went, but i have joined this forum and saw a recent challenge. However i had difficulty entering. it just said that i was not permited to post.

anyone want to help please? and thanks.

mindstate7
03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I am unable to post a new thread to be entered in the CHallenge. WHat am I to do? Please help. If I am doing something wrong, plpeas elet me know, this is my first post in the challenges. Is there a different procedure???

thanks in advance.

pearson
03-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mikael P.
The rules wasn't very clear on who owns the final artwork. In the last challenge you had no rights at all to your work. But this time it seems like there is a possibility that you might retain some rights.
Could someone clarify, please.

cheers,
Mikael

If you are referring to the Alienware challenge, then you are completly mistaken. They only had the nonexclusive right to use the images for their purposes. That means you still owned the rights to use your image, and could even sell the rights to others as well (as long as it wasn't exclusive, of course).

pearson
03-17-2004, 05:13 PM
[reposted from the challenge announcement thread]

So, the milestones...are they due on specific dates? Can you just upload all the images the last day? It doesn't seem to make it clear. :shrug:

cafe
03-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Can one incorporate a generic model pre-made or does one have to use solely objects that are made from scratch?

MCGrund
03-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by cafe
Can one incorporate a generic model pre-made or does one have to use solely objects that are made from scratch?
Just read the rules here (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/instructions.php)

KillMe
03-17-2004, 06:22 PM
how do i enter? i tried to start a thread got some doohickey filed it in but my authisation hasn't arrived =/ so what more am i suppost to do?

leigh
03-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Okay loads of questions to answer.

I just wanted to emphasise that a LOT of the questions being asked are indeed mentioned on the actual contest page so please guys, read the rules and tips on the contest pages properly before asking questions to avoid any confusion.

- What are the rules on photomanipulation in the 2D challenge?, mostly on these forums its you should only use photos as references, and I was just wondering if the same rule applies

No photos. You must create the painting from scratch please.

-You say that it needs to be mechanically enhance and CAN be joined to something larger, but can you join two different lifeforms for mutual gain, in a way that is mechanical?

There is no limitation on the number of characters you create or how they interact with one another so go wild.

Can we incorporate a scene or environment with the character?

Yes, although it will not affect the way that we judge the entries. The important thing is that you create a character. Anything extra is entirely up to you.

Is it possible for us to team up with a buddy for a double entry?

No, single entries only please.

Whats the deadline?

Please read the contest page. The deadline is there - 18 June 2004.

What about concepts?

Please read the rules regarding required milestones. All entries require a concept as the first milestone. This is compulsory.

Can we enter both 2D and 3D sections of the challenge?

Yes, but the two entries have to be totally different (ie not based on the same concept).

Can I have maybe 2 or more characters in a scene ?

Yes, there is no limitation on the number of characters.

Does everything in the scene must be "modernized" ?

This is mentioned in the contest tips - you can go with whatever style you want, as long as the character has mechanical parts. Even in the middle ages there were mechanical things, even if they were primitive.

It can be everything from worm to some T-rex

Yes, as long as it is an organic lifeform it is acceptable. But remember that the mechanical parts must serve a purpose.

Must it be a real lifeform, modernized, or can it be a little bit cartoony ?

Again, this is mentioned in the contest tips. There is no restriction regarding the style of the piece.

what is the deadline for registering.. is it the same for submitting ?

This is a WIP challenge so you have to post the work as you do it. This means that you need to register as soon as you start working on your piece so that you can post your progress.

Actually, this was a misunderstanding in the last challenge that was clarified as soon as we realised there was some confusion. Please read on the contest page for this particular contest:

The sponsors of this Challenge may use shortlisted and winning artwork for marketing purposes only in the context of the Machineflesh Challenge, and will clearly credit the artist.

No artwork will be used in any fashion without credit given to the artist.

No artwork will knowingly be sold, in whole or in part, by the sponsors.

It is not any of the sponsorís intention to keep any of the non-winning artwork other than for purposes of deciding a winner and longer than the length of this contest.

The artist will be asked permission for the use of their artwork if outside of the scope of the contest or the above mentioned purpose(s).

The artist is allowed to use the images created for personal promotion. E.g. submission for EXPOSE' and other galleries.

does it have to be mechanical parts?
or can we use any other material, such as wood,bone,rock or something? any of these are harder then flesh, and would make you more durable...

I did make a mention of this in the contest tips. The parts can be made out of anything as long as they are plausible in terms of durability.

would like to know if i can post my explanation comments in french for my one work ?

Please keep things in English as much as possible.

I was wondering if I could do a sculpture, out of clay, for the 3D part of the contest? Does it have to be a completely digital creation or can it be a finished and painted sculpture set in a diorama scene??

This is a digital contest. Please read the information regarding contest milestones - concept sketch, modeling, lighting, texturing, rendering. As CGTalk is a digital site we only run digital contests. You will be required to produce a wireframe of the model when you have completed the challenge.

what if i want to combine 2d/3d? i mean this topic (machineflesh) tends to become realised that way.

Please stick to one or the other.

I am unable to post a new thread to be entered in the CHallenge. WHat am I to do? Please help.

You cannot create threads within this forum. Please go here (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/enter.php).

So, the milestones...are they due on specific dates? Can you just upload all the images the last day?

We are still debating this, but since this is a WIP challenge, the whole spirit of the challenge involves posting your work as you go along.

Absolutely NOT. The challenge is a work-in-progress challenge and everything must be made from scratch. Entries found using previously made/commercially sold models or elements will be automatically disqualified. This has always been a rule in our challenges.

BRUTICUS
03-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Should the entries be accessible to any audience? Should we stay away from nude, gore, and violent subject matters? Will judging of the entries reflect in any way on whether or not the sponsors can use the art commercially?

swampbug
03-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Question: What if I were to reconcept and redesign an exsisting character from a game/ movie / book? Is that ok to do?

Yo Bruticus ! hahah

leigh
03-17-2004, 07:38 PM
With regards to subject matter, please simply adhere to the usual policy of ours when it comes to matters of taste - http://www.cgtalk.com/policy.php ;)

leigh
03-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by swampbug
Question: What if I were to reconcept and redesign an exsisting character from a game/ movie / book? Is that ok to do?

No, that is not allowed. The character has to be 100% original or it will not be eligible to win any prizes. I did make mention of this in the contest rules somewhere:

Remember to use your imaginations and have some fun! Please avoid recreating themes, designs or concepts that have been seen before.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/instructions.php

Leonard
03-17-2004, 09:30 PM
For God's sake people read the rules before posting here.

L.

ScribbleHEAD
03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
-edited-

AIPh Pretzel
03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
If I wish to change my concept design, is it as simple as editing my post in my CGTalk thread? Or will I have to go to CGNetwork's submission page and do something there? Thank you in advance.

Projectkmo
03-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Well, I tried to post to the threadthat I would take this challange... but it told me I had to submit to get permission or something to reply....something would be sent to my email... but that was last night and I've recieved no email....

weird?!

hmmm....

:shrug:

John

AirbORn
03-18-2004, 05:34 AM
This might be a stupid question, so here it goes...

I was wondering if it is possible to use a tree or plant as the subject matter that has mechanical modifications? The contest description says it doesn't have to be human and trees are not static objects and they are made up of organic tissue.

Thank you for your time.

R.Vor
03-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Still one thing can`t get in my head.
If I`ll model character (even good one) how will it make any use to sponsors on black/white background, and thought I model environment, nobody is going to "look" at it, right ?
That doesn`t sound good, I think... :rolleyes:

CLONEOPS
03-18-2004, 07:38 AM
hey Mods, maybe
make reading and "checking off" of all
entry rules mandatory
say like ...i read paragraph 1 section and i understand
checkmark!!
section 2-checkmark!
etc etc...............
i dunno might help!:lightbulb

R.Vor
03-18-2004, 07:41 AM
too late mate ;)

MikaelPersson
03-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by pearson
If you are referring to the Alienware challenge, then you are completly mistaken. They only had the nonexclusive right to use the images for their purposes. That means you still owned the rights to use your image, and could even sell the rights to others as well (as long as it wasn't exclusive, of course).

Thanks for clearing that up pearson and Leigh. So that is what nonexclusive means, I thought I knew english (!). Maybe I have to join then.

neverthemachine
03-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Hello everybody hope your all doing fine, havent browsed the site lately been very busy at work. i really love cgnetworks, it gives opportunities to everybody. old and young alike.

Just entered the machineflesh 2d challenge. Im really excited about it. Nice seeing all of you here again.

Hope to finish something this time. :beer:

Fly3D
03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
I feel a little silly bringing this up but I was wondering what is the appropriate response when there is a possiblilty of copied work. Obviously with a themed challenge with this number of entries some duplication of ideas is inevitable and that's fine (makes for a tougher challenge imo). However when two pieces of work in progress are submitted (by two different artists and one after the other) and are nearly identical what is the protocol.

I felt that with a wip type of structure this would be easier to avoid as artists can check other submissions before posting theirs to ensure that what they are doing is original. Perhaps that's a bit naive on my part.

Silje
03-18-2004, 04:48 PM
This might sound silly, but whats the difference between JPG and TIF? And how do I make them different? And what is lineart? Computer isn't my best thing... :blush: I've made a sketch, going to scan it as soon as possible, and colour it on computer. And how do I change the size on a file? Sorry my (extremely) stupid questions and my bad english... :hmm:

pearson
03-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Fly3D - This has happened in previous challenges, and has always been worked out by the challengers themselves. For one thing it is easy to tell who posted the idea first, and they have claim to the idea. Plus, who wants to spend all that time making something that won't even be considered because it's a copy?

If it were a case where someone is purposefully trying to copy your work, then the mods would have to step in.

leigh
03-18-2004, 04:51 PM
More questions to answer...

If I wish to change my concept design, is it as simple as editing my post in my CGTalk thread? Or will I have to go to CGNetwork's submission page and do something there? Thank you in advance.

You'll have to resubmit the image. There is no limit to the number of images per milestone that you submit. If you absolutely want a particular image to be removed, then contact one of the admins.

Well, I tried to post to the threadthat I would take this challange... but it told me I had to submit to get permission or something to reply....something would be sent to my email... but that was last night and I've recieved no email....

You don't create a thread here to enter. You have to enter the competition on the CGNetworks site and follow the procedure there, which creates a thread here for you.

Still one thing can`t get in my head.
If I`ll model character (even good one) how will it make any use to sponsors on black/white background, and thought I model environment, nobody is going to "look" at it, right ?
That doesn`t sound good, I think...

I am sorry, I have absoutely no idea what you mean.

I feel a little silly bringing this up but I was wondering what is the appropriate response when there is a possiblilty of copied work. Obviously with a themed challenge with this number of entries some duplication of ideas is inevitable and that's fine (makes for a tougher challenge imo). However when two pieces of work in progress are submitted (by two different artists and one after the other) and are nearly identical what is the protocol.

Please contact me privately at leigh@cgnetworks.com

R.Vor
03-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
I am sorry, I have absoutely no idea what you mean.

Probobly I`ve to be sorry for not knowing ENG very well.
I just wanted to say that everybody should make environment or at least it will be counted as a + , when judges will put points.

leigh
03-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Aahh thanks for clarifying :) No need to apologise for your English!

So to answer your question... No, we can't make environments a plus in terms of judging. This would be unfair - not everyone has a machine that can render a complex environment along with a complex character. The focus of this particular challenge is character creation.
While an environment often certainly adds to the creation, we cannot penalise those who did not have the time/resources to create one.

People are absolutely free to decide whether or not to create an environment for their character but it will in no way influence the judges decisions.

vsions
03-18-2004, 05:59 PM
If I enter the 3d competition with a character based on a story, can my friend join the 2d competition with a completely different concept from my own, but based on the same story line?

R.Vor
03-18-2004, 05:59 PM
That`s great, because I don`t have a supa-dupa workstation :) .
You`re great !
:beer:

Duracel
03-18-2004, 06:04 PM
"Each challenger is required to submit images for the following milestones:

[...] Line Art - JPG (online) [...]

Any challenger that does not submit the above images by 18 June 2004, will not be considered for final judging."

Well, my question is ... im not used to make finished line-arts for personal work but base my work on a rough sketch and paint direct above this or even start with a colorblocking.
So i hope its fine if i just show enough steps of the way i do it?

LineDetail
03-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Is there a difference between submitting a image entry with the formfield as opposed to just replying to your thread and linking to an image on your own hosting service?

Thanks ahead for your response,
Mark Cansino | Line

feeesh
03-18-2004, 06:47 PM
This question was partially answered a few posts ago but I still have a question. I was wondering, since we submit our images vie the login for the challenge, should we post the regular way as replies to our thread we started for the challenge and if so, should we only post the Milestone. Like the final sketch idea. Iíve been posting my brainstorming ideas as I work out a theme or character I want to go with. But I havenít necessarily settled on a specific idea yet. Is this going to cause confusion if I post all these as I go before I settle on one idea to go forward with?

Also, I started my thread correctly, through the challenge site, but then I posted my first few images as a reply, the same way I would any other post on CGTALK. Is this ok to post like this now or should I delete those and repost them through logging in through the challenge site?

Thx, hope I wasnít redundant, I tried to read all the posts, rules and FAQís before I posted.

TheFirstAngel
03-18-2004, 11:51 PM
I think, till you settle on an idea, it will be no problem to link up a few sketches as answers. Its just important you don't forget to fulfill ALL milestones.
SO if you go for one, make sute you submit the milestones trough the form.:beer:

Iysun
03-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Sorry if this has been asked but i coudnt find any info on this.

Am i able to use a 2d concept that ive made prior to this contest? or does the concept sketch have to be new as well?

vrf
03-19-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi Leigh,

For the final JPG image, will the submission engine let us exceed 150kb? I got a little confused during the Alienware challenge and compressed my final JPG down to that size. Not that it was a wonderful image or anything, but the compression sure made it look worse.

Thank you.

Vance

Lunatique
03-19-2004, 03:48 AM
What if I want to submit more than one entry in the 2D category? They are very very different from each other, and I would like to submit both (if I can finish more than one on time).

RedZep
03-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Lets say I make my concept sketch, then begin to model it, but decide not to do do the same model. Like completly change the whole thing. Can I go back and change the sketch or do I have to regestir agine and start over?

Thanks,
Joshua

Kenter
03-19-2004, 04:28 AM

So to answer your question... No, we can't make environments a plus in terms of judging. This would be unfair - not everyone has a machine that can render a complex environment along with a complex character. The focus of this particular challenge is character creation.
While an environment often certainly adds to the creation, we cannot penalise those who did not have the time/resources to create one.

People are absolutely free to decide whether or not to create an environment for their character but it will in no way influence the judges decisions.

I still think ladies and gentlemen that when guy A has a excellent character next to guy B's excellent character and guy A has a very nice scene that enhances his feel and characters reasons for his/her/it's looks that anyone will want the scene with great character.The BOXX and other judges will want the overall better picture in the end.And if an environment is included it will be a plus,has to be,even though the main criteria is a character.The environment can be an extension of what and who the character is.plus it will make for a much nicer poster/ad for the prize giving companies.Well either way good luck all.:beer:

MCronin
03-19-2004, 05:19 AM
Is the grand prize a dual Opteron or not? I ask because it says dual Opteron in the heading, but in the specs it says Dual capable, which suggests it's a smp board with a single processor.

Not that it makes a difference really... Love to win it.

wasriyah
03-19-2004, 09:19 AM
hi i have a question the rulez says i have to submit a sketch howe the design will be. but i have a problem i dont use sketch cause i dont have a scanner or a tablet. i make my stuff straight out of my head.....
now does that mean i cant join?
that would be bad :cry:

Quizboy
03-19-2004, 10:25 AM
I am very interested in the answer to Lunatique's question about entering more than one finished design.

My second question is a more in-depth explanation of not using "pre-made" models. I have read the FAQ and the question and answer thread here, but I am still unclear about how far is considered a "pre-made" model?

For specific example: Many people use a standard head mesh or body mesh which they then tweak to create a new head or body. They maintain existing UV layouts and only have to tweak the texture slightly in Photoshop to come out with a new character. Is "pre-made" model of your own including these type of standard meshes and/or body parts or whatever it may be that you then tweak and re-texture into the newly desired form?

I ask because it would seem strange to have to start modeling an entirely new head from nothing, when you've got a perfectly good head mesh topology which can be reshaped to the form you need for the new character - just the way you would do it for any other project.

Are the rules that strict to suggest that you absolutely must start with nothing for every single piece of the artwork?

Freewave
03-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Leigh, I posted a question earlier and I haven't recieved an answer. The question was...

I was wondering if it is possible to use a tree or plant as the subject matter that has mechanical modifications? The contest description says it doesn't have to be human and trees are not static objects and they are made up of organic tissue.

Thank you for your time.

wasriyah
03-19-2004, 11:51 AM
hi i have a question. i dont have a scanner or a tablet so i cant make a sketch does that mean i cant join

cafe
03-19-2004, 11:57 AM
I would be interested in an answer to the previous post.Does one have to model from complete scratch?

Ed Caracappa
03-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Mcronin,
The BOXX workstation will come with two Opteron 248 processors.
Ed

peksi
03-19-2004, 04:22 PM
I accidentally left "USA" selected as my country... Whom should I contact?

ps. I'm from Finland in case someone who can change it happens to read this post :)

leigh
03-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Questions... questions... questions...

Well, my question is ... im not used to make finished line-arts for personal work but base my work on a rough sketch and paint direct above this or even start with a colorblocking.
So i hope its fine if i just show enough steps of the way i do it?

Please produce exactly what milestones are requested. For the lineart you could simply submit the image that you have before you start colour blocking.

Is there a difference between submitting a image entry with the formfield as opposed to just replying to your thread and linking to an image on your own hosting service?

Yes. Submitting the entries through the system allows the system to formally record which milestones you have actually submitted to our database. This makes it simpler at the end when we run a script to determine who has actually submitted sufficient milestones to qualify for judging.

I was wondering, since we submit our images via the login for the challenge, should we post the regular way as replies to our thread we started for the challenge and if so, should we only post the Milestone. Like the final sketch idea. Iíve been posting my brainstorming ideas as I work out a theme or character I want to go with. But I havenít necessarily settled on a specific idea yet. Is this going to cause confusion if I post all these as I go before I settle on one idea to go forward with?

There is no problem with submitting multiple ideas for each milestone. The important thing is that you fullfill the milestone requirements.
As for general replies, if you need to reply to your thread but not necessarily with a new image, then go ahead and simply reply within the forum as per usual.
All milestones must be submitted via the CGNetworks site though - this is important (see above).

Also, I started my thread correctly, through the challenge site, but then I posted my first few images as a reply, the same way I would any other post on CGTALK. Is this ok to post like this now or should I delete those and repost them through logging in through the challenge site?

If they are proper milestone images then please submit them through the CGNetworks site.

Am i able to use a 2d concept that ive made prior to this contest? or does the concept sketch have to be new as well?

Please don't use anything created prior to the start of the challenge, whether they are sketches, models, scenes, etc. Of course ideas you thought up ages ago are fine but all actual creations must be new, please.

For the final JPG image, will the submission engine let us exceed 150kb? I got a little confused during the Alienware challenge and compressed my final JPG down to that size. Not that it was a wonderful image or anything, but the compression sure made it look worse.

Hmm I don't actually know. We'll let everyone know sooner to the time.

What if I want to submit more than one entry in the 2D category? They are very very different from each other, and I would like to submit both (if I can finish more than one on time).

Please only submit a maximum of one entry per catagory.

Lets say I make my concept sketch, then begin to model it, but decide not to do do the same model. Like completly change the whole thing. Can I go back and change the sketch or do I have to regestir agine and start over?

Just keep posting them. If you have loads of different ideas along the way, then so be it.

hi i have a question the rulez says i have to submit a sketch howe the design will be. but i have a problem i dont use sketch cause i dont have a scanner or a tablet. i make my stuff straight out of my head.....
now does that mean i cant join?

A concept sketch is a compulsory milestone. This is something that we unfortunately cannot overlook. Borrow a scanner from a friend or something!

My second question is a more in-depth explanation of not using "pre-made" models. I have read the FAQ and the question and answer thread here, but I am still unclear about how far is considered a "pre-made" model?

Even a single polygon made before the challenge begun would be classified as a pre-made model.
As I have mentioned before, the way we have always run these challenges is that EVERYTHING is created entirely from scratch. Pre-made models go against the entire work-in-progress spirit of the challenge. So please start everything totally from scratch.

Sure lots of people use generic models that they then tweak, but it's not everyday that the models are being made in order to win a Boxx workstation. Using pre-made models gives certain challengers an unfair advantage.

Yes, a tree or plant still qualifies as an organic lifeform.

I would be interested in an answer to the previous post.Does one have to model from complete scratch?

Yes.

Quizboy
03-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks Leigh for clarifying that. Cheers!

CLONEOPS
03-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Has the Main winner not yet received a prize?-from the last contest.-and the other winners?
Personaly i think the prizes should be physically held in escrow at a cgnet office even before the contest officially starts.......
or is there a waiting period due to something unwritten.

respectfully yours ,
C.P.

Psotek
03-20-2004, 05:00 AM
I want to start on my final 2D illustration soon, but im wondering if the same size applies for the 2D Images? 300 dpi at that resolution is HUGE and it really becomes a drag when drawing with a tablet because it takes a few minutes for your brush stroke to appear. Is there any way around this?

-Bartosz

mandril
03-20-2004, 05:22 AM
i don't know if this has been answered in previous challenges because i registered to the site today. I have read all the rules and tips and faqs and it doesn't mention it anywhere.

Are we elegible to participate and receive prizes from any country in the world?

thanks, and great contest!!

PD: excuse my english

leigh
03-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Has the Main winner not yet received a prize?-from the last contest.-and the other winners?
Personaly i think the prizes should be physically held in escrow at a cgnet office even before the contest officially starts.......
or is there a waiting period due to something unwritten.

I am not entirely sure that I understand what it is that you are saying/suggesting... Are you saying that the people who won prizes should have to wait for them? As far as I know, we have been contacting everyone and getting their shipping details (I know that the grand prize winner was contacted by Alienware as soon as the results were announced).

I want to start on my final 2D illustration soon, but im wondering if the same size applies for the 2D Images? 300 dpi at that resolution is HUGE and it really becomes a drag when drawing with a tablet because it takes a few minutes for your brush stroke to appear. Is there any way around this?

Err are you entering the 2D or the 3D contest? If you are having those problems, I'm afraid you are going to need some more RAM...

Are we elegible to participate and receive prizes from any country in the world?

Yes, of course!

Cullen
03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
I hate to add to the already big list... but...
I understand you can enter both 2d and 3d (as long as they are very different)

What if I submit concept sketches for 3d, and different concepts for 2d, then later decide to swap my ideas.
For example my 3d concepts will now transfer over to the 2d.

I would assume this would be ok as long as I repost milestone images again for new category. And maybe document why in the thread.

What would be the call on this? Acceptable?

RidingAlien
03-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I have forgotten to write my surname in the Machineflesh entry, so if you please could you fix this problem. Because i heard that i will be disqualificated for that.

Thank you for your efforts, my full name is (Dmitriy Novikov)

CLONEOPS
03-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Leigh:In this age of Fedex 24 hr overnight delivery i was sure that for those winners it would be a case of BAM! here's your mug.
Stupid of me! not to think of all the hassles of shipping all over the globe, including paperwork for across borders and customs etc.
Escrow means"..hold on to.." , but you befuddle me by
assuming i was adopting the meaning of the term to be used in a context of a delay.The thought never crossed my mind.
I meant that is sometimes used as an instrument of convenience in situations where 2,3, or more parties are involved.You [cgnet] may have a system like that already in place for all i know, i was really just curious, and yes nosy too!

ok? anyway i will mind myob ....a cgeeing i go off into the wild blue yonder......

...on second thought......
yes could you please hold Pufferfishes back ,Oh say
about 3 months...stall it somewhere in deepest Kapzaqkistan, in a remote highland village that only has goats for a means of communication..........ha ha ha ha.
:twisted:

Pufferfish
03-20-2004, 04:31 PM
...on second thought......
yes could you please hold Pufferfishes back ,Oh say
about 3 months...stall it somewhere in deepest Kapzaqkistan, in a remote highland village that only has goats for a means of communication..........ha ha ha ha.
:twisted: [/B]

How did you know I live there?... and by the way, goats here are higly intelligent... machineflesh ones :P

Psotek
03-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Err are you entering the 2D or the 3D contest? If you are having those problems, I'm afraid you are going to need some more RAM...

Yes Leigh, I was talking about the 2D challenge. If the the final image is supposed to be 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI, then it really is quite big. I have 512 dual ddr ram and a 2.4ghz athlon, so I dont know if thats the problem.

-Bartosz

tenjobara
03-20-2004, 08:12 PM
I am interested in entering the 2D competition. I've read the rules and FAQs, but it does not answer my questions.

Since I sketch and paint in acrylics on canvas and paper, can I take photos of my work in progress?

Does the final image have to be created using computer software? If so, what type of software is accepted to be used for this? Or can I create my final images by painting in acrylics, then take a high resolution digital photograph or scan my artwork in?

Thank you for all your help.

Cakovan
03-21-2004, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leigh
You will be required to produce a wireframe of the model when you have completed the challenge.

I was thinking about entering a 3d challenge but I am little unclear on this.
Are you talking about submitting a picture of the wireframe or the acctual 3d model?
If it is a picture. No problem.
If it is a 3d model... Does everyone needs to submit their models to qualify or only the winners do?

Cullen
03-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by tenjobara
Since I sketch and paint in acrylics on canvas and paper, can I take photos of my work in progress?

Does the final image have to be created using computer software? If so, what type of software is accepted to be used for this? Or can I create my final images by painting in acrylics, then take a high resolution digital photograph or scan my artwork in?

Thank you for all your help.

Note that I am just a user... so my word is obviously not the final word. A mod will have to clear this up. I think painting on canvas is fine for concept art and the like.

However this is CGTALK and CGNETWORKS
CGI is computer graphic imagery. I would assume that the bulk of the piece should be created in Computer graphics.
There are paintbrush tools in 2d applications. Might be time to learn a new medium.

I have a different question though.
I saw that one person entered 3 times in the 2d section. Can we do this? Can we make as many posts as we want? or did this slip though somehow and is being looked into.

Because if we can... I would love to enter several different 2D submittions (if time allows).

JCG
03-21-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi! :)
I wonder if we have to create a single scene so that, when that scene is rendered, the output is pretty much the same as the submission... or if we can create -say- a scene for the sky and render that; then a different scene for the distant mountains, render and composite that on top of the sky image; then a new scene with just the cave where the characters are, render and composite the previous ones on the cave opening and, finally, creating a scene with just the two characters, render them and composite them on the cave(?)

Gibby
03-21-2004, 07:10 AM
why my thread marked as letter with black dot on it? does it mean something?

sorry for my english..

JamesMK
03-21-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Bartosz
If the the final image is supposed to be 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI, then it really is quite big.
Just to clarify this, since there was some confusion about it the last time around as well:

The size is 2657x3636 pixels Period. Or 3636x2675.

The DPI has nothing to do with it at this point, it's just a question about what resolution is coded in the final TIF. But the required physical size is still in PIXELS, and would be the same even if you would do something at 1200 DPI.

I am positively sure that hardware like yours can handle that without any problems at all. (unless you throw too many layers at it of course).

hdri
03-21-2004, 09:17 AM
May I post as many milestones as I wish, or once you post a sketch it means you have to go in this direction until the end of the challenge?

dyc
03-21-2004, 09:22 AM
i didn't found a answer for my question, or i didn't saw it ;)

Is it possible to make pic with more than one "scene"? i got an idea, but i couldn't fix it in one scene. It would be more like a "comicpage". is it possible?

thx for answering

Pufferfish
03-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Tenjobara: Like Cullen said, this is a CG challenge.

Cakovan: You need to post all the milestones mentioned, which includes wireframe IMAGE of your model, not the actual model file.

JCG: yes, you can render your scene in layers and then do composition.

Gibby: That black dot indicates that you have posted in that thread.

hdri: You can post as many ideas you have. Sending a concept does not force you to do it.

dyc: as long as your final is one image, but remember that your character should be the main star.

JDex
03-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Hey folks... here's a little problem that has caused me a bit of grief...

I submit an image that is 147.6kb and it errors... says that my image must be under 150kb and then doesn't store all the info I typed...

Heya Admins... can you take a look at this, or give us the actual kb target... also can you make the page not reset (read expire) after an error... when you type a lot of info, then have to retype it repeatedly it draws time away from the art :D

Other than that all is A-O-K :thumbsup:

Seven
03-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi

There is one line in the instructions:

'The actual mechanical additions need to have an interaction and physical implementation into the body of the lifeform itself'

...that has got me thinking my idea might not be 100% suited to the competition. My 'cells' are fused to mechanical parts and the forming and pushing can not happen without the machine plates, however I would very much appreicate a mod just to clarify it for me please. Well when you see my idea I hope you will see why I posted this enquiry. If you dont then I dont have anything to worry about :) Better to ask than not in my opinion.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130362

Thanks a lot

Keep up the good work everyone.

Sevv

kylawl
03-21-2004, 04:48 PM
I am not sure if this has been touched on before, but whats the policy on company logos in your art? I know the work will be used for promotional purposes so I want to make sure I am not infringing on anything by using logos such as Nike or Addidas or Oakley.

Pufferfish
03-21-2004, 06:58 PM
seven: I think your idea is ok as far as it has organic lifeform combined with something mechanical.

"The mechanical parts have to be incorporated into the actual body Ė the machine needs to have become one with the flesh via some sort of procedure. "

Gaud: I'm not totally sure what is the policy on using company logos, but I think it is better not to use any company logos.

-PFish

BRUTICUS
03-21-2004, 07:08 PM
There is so many entries its insane!!!!

And they should be piling in, im not surprised but its very hard to see all the work. It would be nice if there was a script that lead to all the images entered through the challenge submission process. Maybe just an idea for the deep dark future.

Zack
03-21-2004, 08:12 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/view_entries.php

Seven
03-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Excellent, thanks alot Pufferfish

:thumbsup:

Yann1ck
03-21-2004, 08:39 PM
I have the wrong country in my application, could this be corrected?:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
I am from Australia!

Thanks

BRUTICUS
03-21-2004, 08:53 PM
thanks for the link, zero2zillian

dreeft
03-22-2004, 12:21 AM
hey,

I just have a couple of quick questions..

Can an entrant use the names MachineFlesh, CGNetworks or CGTalk - or their associated logos - in the layout of the piece? and if so, is it possible to acquire high res copies of the logos? (the logo would obviously not be an integral part of the art.)

Great competition. Keep up the good work.

BooRadLey
03-22-2004, 01:51 AM
I am wondering about my concept, would it be ok, to concentrate more on the mechanical parts than the character? In my image my character would be in it, but the mechanical aspect would be the central focus, the character would be the scene/ BG. here is a link to my thread, I hope a mod can take a look at my idea and tell me if this is ok or not.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131988

Brad

arLutiK
03-22-2004, 05:45 AM
::odubtaig asked- I have a question about plugin restrictions that have applied to previous challenges eg. the one on having to model hair rather than using a hair plugin etc.

Pyke answered- I would assume its a case of use any and all tools that you have at your disposal to create your image.::

Now I'd like to please know what Leigh's answer is.

I just read all the messages in this post and that's all I found.

Thx for your time :bounce:

neoCore
03-22-2004, 10:22 AM
hi, i also want to join the Machineflesh contest :) I am wondering why I cannot start a new topic with my entry ?

greetings from Reno :D

Pufferfish
03-22-2004, 11:30 AM
neoCore: If you want to enter the challenge, please visit the following link.
ENTER HERE (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/enter.php)

-PFish

CLONEOPS
03-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Pufferfish:
man, i do believe you is bringing joy to many peeps here
by helping out.
mmmmmm goats and graaaaavy.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Silje
03-22-2004, 01:29 PM
One tiny tiny question: It isn't age limit to this?? It has happened before, I've been too young to participate, thats not funny at all! :shrug:

VelvetDragon
03-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Hello ! :)

I'd like to apply for the 3D part of this GREAT challenge :)

I have one question. I would like to know if it is ok to use a real photo for my sketch to wich I add mechanical parts, with photoshop for example ?
I'm just not good at all at drawing organic life forms... :(
Let me know, if it is ok to do so :p

Thx !

openzight
03-22-2004, 04:08 PM
hi, i have a question.

the modifications of the character must be mechanical or metal, or robotic?
my concept is enhanced with another kind of modifications, so i'd like to know this before going any further.
thank u.
:buttrock:

slinge
03-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Mirage_fr said

I have the wrong country in my application, could this be corrected?

I have the same problem. My register details are Ok but when signing up for the 3D comp my details say that I am from Algeria although I was fairly sure that I had selected Australia. I haven't been able to find any options for editing my details.

Any help would be appreciated...

Simon

leigh
03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Answers to questions . . .

What if I submit concept sketches for 3d, and different concepts for 2d, then later decide to swap my ideas.
For example my 3d concepts will now transfer over to the 2d.

I guess that's fine. As long as the final entries in each are totally different. And yes, repost milestones (and switch the concepts around in each catagory).

I have forgotten to write my surname in the Machineflesh entry, so if you please could you fix this problem. Because i heard that i will be disqualificated for that.

For technical requests/issues, please contact robert@ballisticmedia.net

No, unfortunately for you this is a digital contest. All entries are to be created digitally, with the exception of concept sketches, which can be drawn on paper and then scanned in.

If so, what type of software is accepted to be used for this?

Any software. We don't have restrictions on it, as long as the images are indeed digital.

I saw that one person entered 3 times in the 2d section. Can we do this? Can we make as many posts as we want? or did this slip though somehow and is being looked into.

Oops sounds like one slipped through the cracks... Artists may only enter one entry per catagory.

I wonder if we have to create a single scene so that, when that scene is rendered, the output is pretty much the same as the submission... or if we can create -say- a scene for the sky and render that; then a different scene for the distant mountains, render and composite that on top of the sky image; then a new scene with just the cave where the characters are, render and composite the previous ones on the cave opening and, finally, creating a scene with just the two characters, render them and composite them on the cave(?)

Yes, this is acceptable, especially since for people with slower computers this saves on resources. This is a perfectly acceptable method of creating the scene.

why my thread marked as letter with black dot on it? does it mean something?

Nope, nothing special. I think it's there to show you that you've posted in that thread yourself (I could be wrong though). There is a key to the symbols at the bottom of the page when viewing forums.

May I post as many milestones as I wish, or once you post a sketch it means you have to go in this direction until the end of the challenge?

You have to submit the required milestones for any concept that you wish to take from start to finish. That is to say, that no matter what your final image is (and it's ok to switch between a few different ideas throughout the challenge), you have to ensure that you meet the required milestones for that particular concept, from concept sketch right through to final image.

Is it possible to make pic with more than one "scene"? i got an idea, but i couldn't fix it in one scene. It would be more like a "comicpage". is it possible?

Yes, that's fine. As long as you can compile them all into one presentable image at the end (even if that image is then broken up into sections).

I submit an image that is 147.6kb and it errors... says that my image must be under 150kb and then doesn't store all the info I typed...

Heya Admins... can you take a look at this, or give us the actual kb target... also can you make the page not reset (read expire) after an error... when you type a lot of info, then have to retype it repeatedly it draws time away from the art

Please contact robert@ballisticmedia.net for technical problems.

...that has got me thinking my idea might not be 100% suited to the competition. My 'cells' are fused to mechanical parts and the forming and pushing can not happen without the machine plates, however I would very much appreicate a mod just to clarify it for me please. Well when you see my idea I hope you will see why I posted this enquiry. If you dont then I dont have anything to worry about

Hmm yes I took a brief look at your thread and I would say that it is fine by the guidelines.

I am not sure if this has been touched on before, but whats the policy on company logos in your art? I know the work will be used for promotional purposes so I want to make sure I am not infringing on anything by using logos such as Nike or Addidas or Oakley.

That's a good question. This hadn't occured to me before, but perhaps it would be best to leave logos out of it, just to be on the safe side.

I have the wrong country in my application, could this be corrected?

Can an entrant use the names MachineFlesh, CGNetworks or CGTalk - or their associated logos - in the layout of the piece? and if so, is it possible to acquire high res copies of the logos? (the logo would obviously not be an integral part of the art.)

Hmmm I think it would be best to avoid logos as far as possible... especially since they could potentially pigeonhole the entries.

I am wondering about my concept, would it be ok, to concentrate more on the mechanical parts than the character? In my image my character would be in it, but the mechanical aspect would be the central focus, the character would be the scene/ BG. here is a link to my thread, I hope a mod can take a look at my idea and tell me if this is ok or not.

Please try and maintain a good balance between machine and flesh, as this is the theme of the challenge. The idea is of organic beings having mechanical additions, not the other way around. And neither aspect should overwhelm the other.

I have a question about plugin restrictions that have applied to previous challenges eg. the one on having to model hair rather than using a hair plugin etc.
Pyke answered- I would assume its a case of use any and all tools that you have at your disposal to create your image.::

There are no plugin restrictions in this challenge.

I am wondering why I cannot start a new topic with my entry ?

You have to enter through the CGNetworks site.

It isn't age limit to this?? It has happened before, I've been too young to participate, thats not funny at all!

No, there is no age limit.

I have one question. I would like to know if it is ok to use a real photo for my sketch to wich I add mechanical parts, with photoshop for example ?

As long as it is for a 3D entry, I don't have a problem with this.

the modifications of the character must be mechanical or metal, or robotic?
my concept is enhanced with another kind of modifications, so i'd like to know this before going any further.

As long as they are mechanical in terms of their use, they can be made out of any non-flesh matter. This is mentioned in the guidelines/tips.

I have the same problem. My register details are Ok but when signing up for the 3D comp my details say that I am from Algeria although I was fairly sure that I had selected Australia. I haven't been able to find any options for editing my details.

Yann1ck
03-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi everyone!
I would like to start to ask if we could get a general discussion forum to discuss ideas, feelings and everything about the contest that is not a question for the Machineflesh Challenge Questions/Issues forum or comments for the competitor's forums?
Thank in advance.

In the mean time I like to to say that I am really impress by the quality of some work, even if the contest just started. Where do you find the time to be so advance? I am already struggling to get mine going on. I am hoping to be finish by June... I am also very please to see lot of very known artists. :bowdown:

Good luck to all
Mirage

arLutiK
03-22-2004, 10:18 PM
THX Leigh for your quick answer

VelvetDragon
03-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Thx a lot Leigh ! :)

You're the best ! :p

ParadiseFlyBird
03-23-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi one Question.. do you have to focus the image over the whole
character....eg.. or can the finished image be of just the hand with enhancements .... or whatever? ..cheers

WillJohn
03-23-2004, 05:12 AM
OK heres a good question..

Can we use a DIGITAL sketch ie photoshop? Or do we have to hand draw/scan?

-Will

Nemik
03-23-2004, 06:19 AM
Hello I am new to the challenges, I have read all the post so far as to try and not reask a question cause I know how frustrating it can be... Here is my question...

the first part was previously answered of combining three images in like a comic strip kind of deal.

I have entered the 3D challenge and I want to do 3 images connected togeather but I want it to be like an advertisment showing how you can use the technology or product so I was wondering after redering the image if I could put a little non 3D text with it like in photoshop

here is an example of what I mean
Ignor all my scribble there won't be that mutch wrighting.
http://www.marketproductions.com/finealways/example_1.jpg (http://)

Thanx

openzight
03-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Nemik

I have entered the 3D challenge and I want to do 3 images connected togeather but I want it to be like an advertisment showing how you can use the technology or product so I was wondering after redering the image if I could put a little non 3D text with it like in photoshop

Thanx [/B]

first, thanks for your quick response,
i have the same question, the modifications of my character could be hard to understand in a single image.

thanx

Shadow Seraph
03-23-2004, 06:31 PM
When doing a specific character, if you have detail on both the front and the back... can we submit a split frame, meaning a picture that fits the resolution you have allotted us, but will have the character on left frame showing the back and right frame showing the front. I know that my character will have a lot of detail in the front and back that will really show whats going on, if we can't do a split then i need to just focus on one view and there will be a lot of "changes" you could say...

leigh
03-23-2004, 07:55 PM
The usual answering session . . .

Hi everyone!
I would like to start to ask if we could get a general discussion forum to discuss ideas, feelings and everything about the contest that is not a question for the Machineflesh Challenge Questions/Issues forum or comments for the competitor's forums?
Thank in advance.

Please feel free to discuss images and the challenge within artists threads! That's the point of having all the work linked to the forum threads :)

Hi one Question.. do you have to focus the image over the whole
character....eg.. or can the finished image be of just the hand with enhancements .... or whatever? ..cheers

While you are free to post images of closeups, please make sure that you do complete an entire character model.

an we use a DIGITAL sketch ie photoshop? Or do we have to hand draw/scan?

Concept sketches can be digital or handdrawn. Actual 2D artwork entered into the 2D catagory of the challenge must be digital.

Yep, you can do that.

When doing a specific character, if you have detail on both the front and the back... can we submit a split frame, meaning a picture that fits the resolution you have allotted us, but will have the character on left frame showing the back and right frame showing the front. I know that my character will have a lot of detail in the front and back that will really show whats going on, if we can't do a split then i need to just focus on one view and there will be a lot of "changes" you could say...

You can present your final model however you see fit. The only requirement is that you do indeed submit a final image ;)

Shadow Seraph
03-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Thank you very much, I was worried that all the detail of doing on one side was going to be a waste ... makes me feel a lot bettery, ;) and there will definitely be a final hehe still have to scan in my drafts

HillbillyKing
03-23-2004, 11:24 PM
If you wanted to enter two works in the 3D catagory, is that legal?

Pufferfish
03-24-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by HillbillyKing

Nope, only 1 work.

-PFish

Shaf33k
03-24-2004, 07:08 AM
just one little question I've been trolling to find an answer too. For the 3d challenge does the final image have to be comletely rendered in 3d or can it be maniplulated in post afterward? eg. adding more hair, or adding grass and whatever else that may eat up cpu cycles.
Thanks for you time.
Shafeek.

Pufferfish
03-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Shafeek Amiruddin: It does not have to be "completely" rendered, you can tweak details, colors etc.. in post effects and compositing phase. Though everyone should remember that this is 3D challenge.

Milestones for 3D Stills:

Concept Sketch - JPG (online)
Modeling - JPG (online)
Texturing - JPG (online)
Lighting - JPG (online)
Rendering - JPG (online)
Post Effects and Compositing, JPG (online)
Final Image - JPG (online) AND TIF (FTP)

-PFish

bombproof
03-24-2004, 08:43 AM
in fairness to all us first time cg challengers...

what happens to competitors whose posted entries have been proven to be pre-made?

enzo

Pufferfish
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bombproof
in fairness to all us first time cg challengers...

what happens to competitors whose posted entries have been proven to be pre-made?

enzo

Pre-made models are not allowed, everyone who has read the instructions knows it!

Using pre-made models = DISQUALIFY

-PFish

Cakovan
03-24-2004, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pufferfish
[B]Pre-made models are not allowed, everyone who has read the instructions knows it!

Using pre-made models = DISQUALIFY

How do you determine if the model or parts of it were pre-made?
As far as I see a lot of people (not all) post a sketch and then the next image is a 3d head or a body already finished.

Pufferfish
03-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Cakovan
How do you determine if the model or parts of it were pre-made? As far as I see a lot of people (not all) post a sketch and then the next image is a 3d head or a body already finished.

Who ever decides to take that evil step, is STUPID.

Everyone should remember there is a jury that will read/watch all the possible winner threads from the scratch. Fools will be caught.

-PFish

leigh
03-24-2004, 04:33 PM
*Gandalf voice* Questions... questions that need answering!

Nope, as my fellow moderator Pufferfish has mentioned, this is not allowed.

For the 3d challenge does the final image have to be comletely rendered in 3d or can it be maniplulated in post afterward? eg. adding more hair, or adding grass and whatever else that may eat up cpu cycles.

Go wild in post.

Their images are removed, their threads are closed and they do face possible banning from CGTalk.

How do you determine if the model or parts of it were pre-made?
As far as I see a lot of people (not all) post a sketch and then the next image is a 3d head or a body already finished.

We do keep an eye on things. Obviously this can be a tricky thing to pick up sometimes, but I do hope that most people approach this challenge with a good sense of sportsmanship and won't try and trick everyone. If we feel that there is any reason to suspect a challenger, they are requested to post additional WIP images.

airworks
03-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Hmmm, well, what if......What if the background Is part of the character? does that count as part of the character itself? Or, anything outside of the character actual body area not really included in the judging?Say for ex. a huge machine powered by 3 bodies but all one, connected by wires and tubes and such, without the machine they die, and the machine without them also dies. So all in all, 1 character to survive:/. And that being the 3 bodies and machine

Is that considered the character?

ParadiseFlyBird
03-25-2004, 01:58 AM
Hi just a quick Q.. um how do i put a link to my work (eg challenge) in my profile....

cheers

Eremos
03-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I've tried several times to post the concept for my entry but I've got several error messages.

what should I do?

I.

Newke
03-25-2004, 06:54 AM
My image size is actually 3796x6220.
I read somewhere that it must be 3636x2675 or 2675x3636.
If this is exact, i must change my image size and composition to fit the correct size, no?

SilentShadow
03-25-2004, 01:32 PM
what type of software is accepted to be used for this?
Any software. We don't have restrictions on it, as long as the images are indeed digital.

Ok, im a little disagree with some people that are using Zbrush2, this versions is not relase to public, (is unfair) and they have adventage over the other guys that have ZB1.

They have 2 weeks more than any other guy that want use Zbrush 2 ..the other people must wait at 31 march to buy that software to participate on this challenge.

Zbrush2 have more and new tools that make this unfair for me!

One solution could be that their dead line be 2 weeks before (4 june)

Cheers

Pufferfish
03-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by SilentShadow
Ok, im a little disagree with some people that are using Zbrush2, this versions is not relase to public, (is unfair) and they have adventage over the other guys that have ZB1.

They have 2 weeks more than any other guy that want use Zbrush 2 ..the other people must wait at 31 march to buy that software to participate on this challenge.

Cheers

Some may think it is unfair that someone has money to buy ZBrush2 when its released and some don't have. Is that fair? Think about it. It's almost like saying you have to have all softwares to be able to compete.

No reason to do any restrictions or deadline changes.

-PFish

Pyke
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
There are also people using propriety software and scripts out there that have either been developed by themselves or their companys. Is it unfair of them to use those tools?

Just remember-A bad carpenter always blames his tools...

Besides, people with MAX have an advantage over everubody, as MAX is a superior piece of software. :)

-c-

ps-For anybody planning on ripping premades...just do a few searches in CGTalk, and you will see that you will NOT get away with it.

SheepFactory
03-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by SilentShadow

cry me a river! :cry:

i dont even have zbrush one , i think all of you zbrush users should be disqualified than!

Pyke
03-25-2004, 03:40 PM
I think that everybody with a faster computer than me should be disqualified....

heipei
03-25-2004, 04:55 PM
I think pyke and sheep pointed it out very well. If zbrush2 should be forbidden than everything which is in some way a competition would be non-sense ;). Unless we got the same machines, programs and brains (and im talking about exactly the same) in which case the competition itself would be nonsense.

Life's unfair, just accept it. Be proud of your own work. If you want to, bash the zbrush2 user that they can only achieve something with zbrush2 which other people can with povray :P

something like that ;)

ravioli_rancher
03-25-2004, 06:08 PM
SilentShadow,

You should be more worried about the Clay and Houdini users.

With Clay, nobody will be able to buy it for another 5 -10 years, if ever (as, eventually, I suppose the lone programmer will opt for the millions and sell his technology to a movie studio like ImageWorks or Pixar).

With Houdini, you need $16,000 to play plus another $20,000 for a good system with big monitors.

With ZBrush, you could sell some blood, purchase it within a month, and still have plenty of time to submit an entry. But, I think its safe to assume that Beta ZBrush 2.0 users are advanced artists with advanced knowledge of many other apps (especially Maya, and Max), and their entires would be tough to match even if they weren't using Z2.

Artistic ability is the only thing to be intimidated by, not who owns the early release candiates of software.

But, since the subject has been broached, I agree with Pyke. The winner will be a Max / Rhino user. Or perhaps a Clay / Houdini user.

No. Wait one stinking second. I've changed my mind.

ZBrush will be a major factor. And the top three contestants will utilize it in one way or another (in conjunction with Max, Maya, Clay and Houdini.)

But, since working in it is so much easier than most 3d software, any headstart a few uber users have won't mean too terribly much as the contest is so freakin' long. Three months! I bet many of these ZBrush early risers will second guess their entries and start over, just to challenge themselves.

And perhaps the contest title itself should be changed to:

The Zbrush Endless Flood of Fleshy Machines.

This contest alone will probably be the main marketing arm for Pixologic up through Siggraph.

Hooray for ZBrush!

So, channel your anger towards software that's even more difficult to obtain :) .

Damn Max, Maya, Clay, and Houdini users! Go play in a different mud puddle! Splash!

SilentShadow
03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Im not talking about use ZBrush or not.. im talking about that software is not relase to public right now!...

There are also people using propriety software

It is a public software, isnt a personal software developed by some guy. and of course is not about computer speed...many of you are missing your self on this convesation.

So channel your anger towards software that's even more difficult to obtain

Sorry babe but im not anger .. :thumbsup:

Anyway.. dont care about it. I prefer a official response from the judges of this challenge.

Cheers

Batmanuel
03-25-2004, 07:09 PM
I've been trying to post my concept images through the upload page and can get nothing back but errors. My image is under 150K and it's a jpg. I've tried it with two different images and neither will post. Are there issues with people on Macs trying to post?

JDex
03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Try reading the other issues/questions already resolved please.

As to software... be it public or private.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If so, what type of software is accepted to be used for this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to image size... I sent off an email re: this issue per this post...

quote:

Heya Admins... can you take a look at this, or give us the actual kb target... also can you make the page not reset (read expire) after an error... when you type a lot of info, then have to retype it repeatedly it draws time away from the art

I reccomend you do the same... perhaps it will be addressed more promptly...

:thumbsup:

dantea
03-26-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by ravioli_rancher
With Houdini, you need $16,000 to play plus another $20,000 for a good system with big monitors.

That actually brings up an interesting question. Can one use the Houdini Apprentice which is free?

ravioli_rancher
03-26-2004, 05:21 AM
Dantea,

The moderators say any software is fine.

The only problem with Houdini Apprentice is I don't believe it renders out to the necessary 2600/3700 whatever dimensions required for the final render.

And it always leaves behind a nasty watermark.

Lousy punks!

Mibus
03-26-2004, 06:09 AM

It's most likely that your final JPG will be limited to 150kb like the other milestones. However, your final JPG won't have to be print-resolution, it can be the same sort of resolution as your other online submissions.

Only the final TIFF should need to be print-resolution.

(Note that this -may- change in the future, but it's what I see as being most likely).

150kb: I've upped the limit a little on the server to make a little wiggle-room for images where the exact filesize was previously picked up as being over 150kb (depending on how it was counted).

Quizboy
03-26-2004, 10:22 AM
just checking to be sure each of these items this is ok:

For the 2D Challenge making mock-ups of certain elements of my concept sketch in 3D and using this as a reference for proper perspective by painting over the render in 2D.

Drawing various elements/layers in 2D and then putting them into Combustion 3D space and lighting and creating effects there.

Mocking up elements of the concept sketch in 3D then layering shadow renders/other lighting effects into my 2D image in Photoshop.

------------------- to sum up:

Is it ok to use 3D as a tool to aid our 2D image just like it's ok to use 2D as a tool in 3D? (e.g. - orthographic reference plane images, light reflection cards, hdri lighting, texturing, etc.)

jddog
03-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Hi all

Note: You are required to submit work in progress images, obtain feedback and give feedback to other challengers in the WIP challenge. This is a requirement of the challenge and failure to do so may result in penalties during final judging. Community interaction is a must!

:cry:

I will do my best, but... always is a little pain to write correctly in english and understand all english 'finesses' that are expressed here (like common idiom or some slang/string language).

I do always all my best to interact with the communty from the beginning that I entered in CG (I don't talk bout expressly about this contest right now)...

But for me (quiet sure not the only) is not so easy to read all thread with a dictionary and try to be so 'active' in a so big contest...

Not here to search some excuse, just to say...

hey gs ! I will try to do all the best to be active and respect this wonderful (and IMPORTANT) rule... Just is not always easy to express realy what I mean or post a important comment... just because I got some heavy difficultis to expline/wrote it in english...

this 'problem' in english comunication can be in any way a problem of banned/disqualification because we wasn't so active ?

I mean I will do it because I believe in CGtalk...
I belive in the gs who work here and all who take time to help, give feedback.
You help me, I help you: this is not a rule this is respect...
I will do my best, just I don't what this will be an handicapp.

thx for all
jdd

(good luck to all :beer: )

KaCe
03-26-2004, 04:57 PM
If I were to create a human with metallic skin (ala silversurfer and looked liked a human robot) and technically had no flesh incorporated would it still be acceptable to enter this concept for the challenge?

leigh
03-26-2004, 05:59 PM
I've tried several times to post the concept for my entry but I've got several error messages.

As I have mentioned numerous times now, please contact robert@ballisticmedia.net for technical problems..

My image size is actually 3796x6220.
I read somewhere that it must be 3636x2675 or 2675x3636.
If this is exact, i must change my image size and composition to fit the correct size, no?

Yes.

No.

The tools do not make the artist. I don't care what people are using, and neither should you.

Unfair would be telling everyone to produce legitimate software licenses for the software they are using before allowing them to enter.

You complaint holds as much water as arguing that some people have an advantage because they can afford more expensive and fancy software.

This is an official response :)

I've been trying to post my concept images through the upload page and can get nothing back but errors. My image is under 150K and it's a jpg. I've tried it with two different images and neither will post. Are there issues with people on Macs trying to post?

Please contact Robert (email mentioned somewhere above), although I see he has responded already in this thread.

That actually brings up an interesting question. Can one use the Houdini Apprentice which is free?

Use whatever you want, as long as you don't mind watermarked renders that are limited to a certain size.

For the 2D Challenge making mock-ups of certain elements of my concept sketch in 3D and using this as a reference for proper perspective by painting over the render in 2D.

That's fine, as long as you are painting over your own work.

Drawing various elements/layers in 2D and then putting them into Combustion 3D space and lighting and creating effects there.

Yep.

Mocking up elements of the concept sketch in 3D then layering shadow renders/other lighting effects into my 2D image in Photoshop.

Yep.

Is it ok to use 3D as a tool to aid our 2D image just like it's ok to use 2D as a tool in 3D? (e.g. - orthographic reference plane images, light reflection cards, hdri lighting, texturing, etc.)

I guess so. As long as your final 2D image is essentially finished off in 2D, using various techniques to get it there. Some of the 3D entries in the last challenge used matte painting techniques and that was acceptable, and I guess this is the flipside of the coin. But please do try and use traditional techniques as much as possible, or else you might as well actually create a 3D entry.

Batmanuel
03-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info Leigh. I've since resolved my posting issues and now I'm up and running. :beer:

Quizboy
03-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Once again many thanks for your clarifications, Leigh. Cheers to you for staying on top of this! :beer:

luigi
03-27-2004, 12:00 PM
this si my question

I have an concept and i want to spent a little time making drawings to havea good idea.

i havea friend that is quite good painting and do it a lot of better that me .
Is allowed that he helps me drawing the concept design.
Is posible to use his drawings.
or every thing have to be done by me :)

or is posible to use another person concept design or you have to make the concept for the scracth.

this person will not be in 2d competion only give me a idea to start my 3d modelling :)

is this posible ?

Newke
03-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Thank you very much for your response, leigh. :)

dantea
03-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ravioli_rancher
Dantea,

The moderators say any software is fine.

The only problem with Houdini Apprentice is I don't believe it renders out to the necessary 2600/3700 whatever dimensions required for the final render.

And it always leaves behind a nasty watermark.

Lousy punks!

The watermark I don't mind but its the resolution that obviously rules out almost all demo versions of commercial 3D software.

FACaliza
03-27-2004, 04:20 PM
I use to see my name on the 2d challenge I just post reply on works of some artist for some reason I could no longer see my name on the Thread but I could still view my entries...I am new on the challenge actually my first time ever on a challenge or competition...

Borro
03-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Sorry to boder you, but I have a little problem. Somehow my forum name is written "Boris Riszov" and not "Boris Rizov" which IS a problem so, dear moderator, fix it or something please.

CLONEOPS
03-28-2004, 05:02 AM
yes its funny.^

arLutiK
03-29-2004, 02:40 AM
can we use HDRI photos for reflection mapping?

JDex
03-29-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by arlutik

UNOFFICIALLY

I can't imagine why not???

Dr.Paint
03-29-2004, 05:58 PM
the rules say:
3.Pre-fabricated models are not allowed to be used. These include parametric models generated from Poser or Daz3D.

I just saw someone using the plugin Greeble on a part of his model. Now my question is are we allowed to use such plugins as Greeble. Im sure many people(including me) thought about the use of Greeble as it is a free plugin.

greetings
A.D.

JDex
03-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Greeble

Answers to questions . . .

quote:

There are no plugin restrictions in this challenge.

InTheCity
03-29-2004, 11:36 PM
i couldn't find my question anywhere, so my apology if it's been brought up before.

I want to partially sketch and color in photoshop.

Are there any issues with that?

TheFirstAngel
03-30-2004, 01:53 AM

2 thoughts.

1: You could do it. Many ppl do. its great to have gardendwarfts and trees reflecting in a car that stands in some studioscene. Just for example.

2: why Raytrace. You have 3 month of time. If you want to have environment refletions, and don't want to build up everything in your final shot in 3d, paint a map, and map it on a hemisphere.

still, you could.:rolleyes:

Pufferfish
03-30-2004, 04:55 AM
Luigi: You should to do it by yourself, if you model your 3D model based on your friends sketching the idea is basicly his then. This challenge is not collaborative so it's all DO-IT-YOURSELF :) Remember the skecthes are not the main thing here. It is your final. Even though every milestones have to be there.

arlutik: yep

Dr.Paint: Like Leigh already said "There are no plugin restrictions in this challenge" ..please read this thread before sending questions, many answers are there already.

InTheCity: Yes, you can sketch and color in photoshop.

-PFish

Dr.Paint
03-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Sorry guys:cry:,although i did :eek: the entire thread i was unsure :hmm: as its my first challange.I just tought that Greeble would generate parametric models which are forbidden in the rules.
Thanks for your quick answers.

greetings
A.D.

Pufferfish
03-31-2004, 06:28 AM
I just went through all the entries and posted a little note to everyone who had not sent concept sketches.

PLEASE, POST YOUR CONCEPTS BEFORE SENDING ANY MODELLING IMAGES

-PFish

Tommy Lee
03-31-2004, 03:44 PM
I have just on question:

Can I make my Image bigger than 3636x2657 pixels, because I found out that I want to add a much bigger background and don't want to scale my already existing characters down.

Thanks in advance

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

PS: Btw I entered the 2d challenge.

Quizboy
03-31-2004, 04:04 PM
I think you must assume that making your image bigger is not a good idea, Tommy Lee. Just stay in the regulations man and keep your entry qualified dude.

SilentShadow
03-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Can we use concept or skechts from other artist with his/her permision to model it on 3d?

If my character have a hand hiden and is not seen by the camera angle for the final render, must i model it?

If posible to use a real model for the pose only and then design the character and model it on 3D?

Thanks

SilentShadow
04-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Leigh can you answer me please?

Thanks

Big Man
04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Hello,

How many people have entered this competition so far?

Looks like thousands.. :eek:

leigh
04-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delayed response to the last bunch of questions but I have been out of town and very very far away from email and internet access for the last four days.

I have an concept and i want to spent a little time making drawings to havea good idea.

i havea friend that is quite good painting and do it a lot of better that me .
Is allowed that he helps me drawing the concept design.
Is posible to use his drawings.
or every thing have to be done by me :)

or is posible to use another person concept design or you have to make the concept for the scracth.

this person will not be in 2d competion only give me a idea to start my 3d modelling :)

is this posible ?

Please read the FAQ thread. This would be regarded as a team which is not allowed in this challenge. Please do all the work yourself.

Sorry to boder you, but I have a little problem. Somehow my forum name is written "Boris Riszov" and not "Boris Rizov" which IS a problem so, dear moderator, fix it or something please.

This is a technical question. Please read my previous posts regarding who to contact for technical questions/issues.

Yes of course.

I just saw someone using the plugin Greeble on a part of his model. Now my question is are we allowed to use such plugins as Greeble. Im sure many people(including me) thought about the use of Greeble as it is a free plugin.

Yes, Greeble is acceptable.

i couldn't find my question anywhere, so my apology if it's been brought up before.

I want to partially sketch and color in photoshop.

Are there any issues with that?

Are you talking about your concept sketch? Or your final 3D render? For both, it's fine.

Can I make my Image bigger than 3636x2657 pixels, because I found out that I want to add a much bigger background and don't want to scale my already existing characters down.

Thanks in advance

Please stick to the size requirements!

Can we use concept or skechts from other artist with his/her permision to model it on 3d?

How many times is this question going to be asked? NO NO NO NO.

If my character have a hand hiden and is not seen by the camera angle for the final render, must i model it?

It's up to you. However, if you don't want to model the hand because you don't have the skill, then perhaps you better rethink the entire idea of a challenge - learning and developing your skills is what these challenges are all about.

If posible to use a real model for the pose only and then design the character and model it on 3D?

I don't understand what you mean by this...

How many people have entered this competition so far?

I guess you could check the number of threads in the two challenge forums (the totals are shown on the front page of the forums).

Quizboy
04-01-2004, 09:27 PM

I assume you're talking about taking a picture of a real person posed and using the pics as reference in your 3D modeling package. If that's what you mean, this is not only allowed but is the way you SHOULD be working in all ideal professionalism. Yes, you can do this.

THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL RESPONSE...but I'm sure I'm right.

Tommy Lee
04-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the quick answer!!!!:bowdown: :beer:

InTheCity
04-06-2004, 08:28 PM
A friend has pointed out that my entry
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131039

looks like the villain in spiderman. I had no prior knowledge to this and don't which to have to start again.

this is the spiderman villain

http://www.empiremovies.com/images/posters/spiderman-2-poster.jpg

SilentShadow
04-06-2004, 10:52 PM
I assume you're talking about taking a picture of a real person posed and using the pics as reference in your 3D modeling package. If that's what you mean, this is not only allowed but is the way you SHOULD be working in all ideal professionalism. Yes, you can do this.

THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL RESPONSE...but I'm sure I'm right.

Quizboy : Yes that is what i mean, thanks

Iīll be waiting for a official response.

Thanks.

ninosboombox
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
dont have much time i looked at the first 4 pages and did not see this question.

can you upload wip for say 5 different pieces, all with wip milestones, then choose which one that you want to go with closer to the deadline according to popularity from the threads and personal satisfaction?

yon_2x
04-08-2004, 03:55 AM
i entered the 3d challenge is it possible to shift my concept/design to the 2d challenge and then enter a new one for the 3d challenge?:buttrock:

Cartesius
04-08-2004, 09:26 AM
I did look through the whole post without seeing this, but what is the stand on using your own photographs as base for textures?

Let me clarify: In my entry I'm modeling a hand (among other things) and to texture this hand I've taken several photos of my own hand to get the texture (and to use as reference for modeling). The photos are taken specifically for this challenge. Now, I will not simply map the photos on the model but rather use them as a base for further manipulation in BodyPaint and Photoshop. The same goes for the head once I start with that -- photos I've taken myself of interesting skin textures like wrinkles, blemishes and folds are to be incorporated in the final map.

Is this OK?

/Anders

leigh
04-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Quizboy : Yes that is what i mean, thanks

Yes, Quizboy is right - there is absolutely nothing wrong with using modeling sheets.

A friend has pointed out that my entry
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...threadid=131039

looks like the villain in spiderman. I had no prior knowledge to this and don't which to have to start again.

Hmmm personally I think your concept is fine. Although your sketches don't really qualify as concept sketches - please do proper 2D sketches instead of rendered ones. Thanks.

can you upload wip for say 5 different pieces, all with wip milestones, then choose which one that you want to go with closer to the deadline according to popularity from the threads and personal satisfaction?

Yes.

i entered the 3d challenge is it possible to shift my concept/design to the 2d challenge and then enter a new one for the 3d challenge?

Yes.

I did look through the whole post without seeing this, but what is the stand on using your own photographs as base for textures?

Let me clarify: In my entry I'm modeling a hand (among other things) and to texture this hand I've taken several photos of my own hand to get the texture (and to use as reference for modeling). The photos are taken specifically for this challenge. Now, I will not simply map the photos on the model but rather use them as a base for further manipulation in BodyPaint and Photoshop. The same goes for the head once I start with that -- photos I've taken myself of interesting skin textures like wrinkles, blemishes and folds are to be incorporated in the final map.

Is this OK?

Yes.

vudu
04-10-2004, 11:29 AM
I haven't seen many plant concepts in this challenge yet so I'm wondering wheather a tree with implemented mechanical parts can be the subject of the challenge (?).

My idea is that mechnically altered trees can serve some intelligent creatures as lift cranes. Since it was written in the rules that it is required to create 'an organic lifeform' I thought that trees were ok but still could you please clear this up for me.

RekAge
04-10-2004, 01:03 PM
I was wondering about taxes and other such things being applied to the prizes. I know that in the US winning a prize requires you to pay the sames taxes as if you were buying the item outright. Since I'm in Canada, would I end up paying for taxes on anything I won? (Canada has no requirments that make you pay taxex on winnings)

Sorry if this is not very clear, I'm on a few hours sleep right now.

leigh
04-11-2004, 11:00 AM
I haven't seen many plant concepts in this challenge yet so I'm wondering wheather a tree with implemented mechanical parts can be the subject of the challenge (?).

Yes, it has actually come up before in this very thread. A tree is fine, as long as you stick to the guidelines.

I was wondering about taxes and other such things being applied to the prizes. I know that in the US winning a prize requires you to pay the sames taxes as if you were buying the item outright. Since I'm in Canada, would I end up paying for taxes on anything I won? (Canada has no requirments that make you pay taxex on winnings)

I really have no idea - this is something you will need to check with your Customs office.

Totyo
04-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Hum.. a technical question : I changed my email in my CGTalk profile, but it's still the old in the picture submit form (here : http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/ after entered my login/pass).. where can I change it ?
I cannot check the old email anymore
Thank you :)

InTheCity
04-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Leigh, I had submitted a final hand drawn concept sketch

I don't know what you mean when you say that I haven't?
I obviously can't carry on now until you answer this thread

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2119/2119_1081281799_large.jpg

deepforest
04-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Hi, it is a first time for me to enter the challenge entry, and i upload images step by step! I have one question: sometimes I want to upload a close up image for the details, and it is large than 150k(of course i use my own url adress), is this allowable?
Or can give a image link?
thanks!

Mibus
04-14-2004, 02:31 AM
sometimes I want to upload a close up image for the details, and it is large than 150k(of course i use my own url adress), is this allowable?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: If you want to post extra stuff that isn't counted officially towards the challenge, you can post a reply in your thread with an "IMG" tag. That's fine. But unless it is submitted through the cgnetworks.com challenge online submission upload system - with a 150kb limit - it cannot be counted towards your entry.

I'd probably suggest cropping your detail shot and adjusting the JPEG compression so you can get it under 150kb.

Dugg
04-14-2004, 05:02 AM
Must admit I am a bit slow coming to the contest and I havn't read every posting.
I have an old concept drawing that I once built into a model. I wasn't entirely pleased with it.
I think a rebuild of it would work well with the contest. Is this permitted?

Blizzard_HQ
04-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Re: Final TIFF Image

For the 2D final image - I assume RGB is fine and there is need to produce in CMYK???

deepforest
04-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Mibus
Short answer: No.

Long answer: If you want to post extra stuff that isn't counted officially towards the challenge, you can post a reply in your thread with an "IMG" tag. That's fine. But unless it is submitted through the cgnetworks.com challenge online submission upload system - with a 150kb limit - it cannot be counted towards your entry.

I'd probably suggest cropping your detail shot and adjusting the JPEG compression so you can get it under 150kb.

Thanks the feedbacks, Mibus!
cheers!

Pyke
04-15-2004, 06:57 AM
Blizzard_HQ

In the last comp I submited an RGB and nobody complained. :)

Dugg-Short answer...No
Long answer...Nooooooooooooooooooo.

It clearly states in the rules that you arent allowed to use ANYTHING that you have worked on previously for this comp. So if it was put down on paper BEFORE the challenges opening date-if it existed in 1's and 0's BEFORE the opening date-you arent allowed to use it...

DB5BOND
04-15-2004, 08:59 PM
What is the difference between?

You still have to submit your Post Effects and Compositing milestone.
And
You still have to submit your Final Image milestone.

Because when you add your post effects and then upload it to the web that will be the final image wont it?

Or is the final image the full rez image of 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI
But in jpeg form but it will be on your wip link?

e.g

Post effects 640x480 jpg on wip link

Final render 3636x2657 jpg on wip link

and then upload TIFF to FTP

Also I see that you upload a Tiff image to the web, im currently doing some test renders and that image will come out to over 30 meg even after the post stage, will that be ok???
Hopefully that can be in a .zip or .rar file?

:D

Pufferfish
04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by DB5BOND

Because when you add your post effects and then upload it to the web that will be the final image wont it?

You are supposed to show your progress in your post effects work.

-PFish

ninosboombox
04-15-2004, 09:54 PM
it says in the rules that you must submit all wip for the 2d contest, illustration. it says nothing about the piece having to be done digitally. therefore traditional work should be accepted bucause it was not stated in the rules. i have 4 traditional pieces which i am uploading all my wips.

traditional work is accepted isnt it?

if not, the rules do not say, so would all traditional pieces be accepted that were submitted before this concern, that seems like the only right thing to do.

i will use digital tools for my finals but just to be safe i thought iwould ask!!!

Mibus
04-15-2004, 11:42 PM
DB5BOND: You're supposed to (as Pufferfish said) show a work-in-progress for your Post-Effects & Comp milestone.

The "Final Image" milestone should be the end product at the same sort of resolution you've been posting for the other milestones. You'll *also* have to submit a super-high-res TIFF version via FTP.

Pyke
04-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Considering that CGTalk is a forum for DIGITAL VISUAL EFFECTS PROFFESIONALS, I think its assumed that the artwork for the 2D Challenge would be mainly digital. I say mainly, because of course alot of people are going to be using hand drawn line art.

There is quote from Leigh here aswell, saying somethig along the lines of 'All 2D Entries MUST BE CREATED DIGITALLY'. It may be in the 2D Forum...but trust me, its there somewhere!

leigh
04-18-2004, 01:38 AM
I don't know what you mean when you say that I haven't?
I obviously can't carry on now until you answer this thread

Sorry I didn't see that one before.

Must admit I am a bit slow coming to the contest and I havn't read every posting.
I have an old concept drawing that I once built into a model. I wasn't entirely pleased with it.
I think a rebuild of it would work well with the contest. Is this permitted?

You can keep your idea but please create a totally new concept sketch for it.

For the 2D final image - I assume RGB is fine and there is need to produce in CMYK???

Send in whatever.

it says in the rules that you must submit all wip for the 2d contest, illustration. it says nothing about the piece having to be done digitally. therefore traditional work should be accepted bucause it was not stated in the rules. i have 4 traditional pieces which i am uploading all my wips.

traditional work is accepted isnt it?

No.

This is a site for DIGITAL ART. It is a given, therefore, that this is a digital contest. None of our previous challenges has ever allowed non-digital images, and I have already stated that all images must be digital in this particular challenge (with the exception of concept sketches, which can be on paper and scanned).

SibSpi
04-18-2004, 04:24 PM
yippy I've spent time with friends and have off of japanese lessons for about a month - time to get cracking!

question - is a concept sketch abosuletely necessary?
Other people can easily say "I'm no good at drawing" and still deliver a picture that looks, well, like something .

Would I still be in the runnings if I submit everything except for a concept sketch? Or will I be disqualified again for not having all my milestones in?

If I absolutely have to have a sketch - would it be okay for me to do my entire thing, then draw what I see on my screen? :scream: :rolleyes:

I'm good enough at drawing what I see, but I just can't draw what I'm thinking about.:shrug:

omengeorge
04-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Any deadlines for each milestone? or is it okay if i upload the work a bit later.. since i'm going a working trip its not possible for me to upload now..??
love,
Omen

Mibus
04-19-2004, 12:23 AM
SibSpi: No you pretty much have to do a concept sketch. It doesn't have to be very good!

omengeorge: No that's fine, as long as all of the milestones are in before the end of the challenge you should be OK.

Shinwa
04-20-2004, 03:28 AM
Okay,

I have read everything in the FAQ and I believe this is new...I hope.

I understand the entry must be a character...However, When I was introduced to the competition I was under the impression the 2D was more an illustration....

So...
A - should I focus on Character Concept Sketches until the final, or can I go at it from more of "The illustration of my technology/character" angle...

And B - Less of a technical question,
I am trying to stay centered around the concept I chose of the multiple things I thought through originally....Is it likely I will be penalized for not submitting the copius amounts of work some others are submitting...??? Like drawing it from every angle and having ten colorings and stuff.... I guess it kind of ties in with the illustration question again.

What are your thoughts on this???

leigh
04-20-2004, 10:52 PM
A - should I focus on Character Concept Sketches until the final, or can I go at it from more of "The illustration of my technology/character" angle...

The concept sketch is just the initial idea and can be pretty rough. The actual process of your challenge entry should show your progress of the actual final illustration, as per the required milestones.

And B - Less of a technical question,
I am trying to stay centered around the concept I chose of the multiple things I thought through originally....Is it likely I will be penalized for not submitting the copius amounts of work some others are submitting...??? Like drawing it from every angle and having ten colorings and stuff.... I guess it kind of ties in with the illustration question again.

As long as you do submit the minimum required milestones you'll be eligible for final voting!

The required milestones for 2D entries are:

Concept Sketch - JPG (online)
Line Art - JPG (online)
Coloring WIP - JPG (online)
Final Coloring - JPG (online)
Final Image - JPG (online) AND TIF (FTP)

You only need to submit one image for each milestone. But of course everyone is welcome to submit as many images as they would like to share and to receive crits and suggestions on.

Shinwa
04-22-2004, 02:19 AM
I think I know the answer based on your response to A...but I guess I am basically asking if this is

A: A character Concept oriented with a final Illustration of it,

Or B, and illustration of an idea - plain and simple.

So - concept work should consist of Character layout...and final Illust. Or concept should consist of Illustrations.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

I am asking based on a question that came up in one thread. I think you are saying this should be centered around the final Illustration, not the characters IN the Illustration?

SibSpi
04-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I had a whole bunch of stuff typed up but decided to replace it with this.
Although it may have been answered before, I haven't the time (or will) to look for it so I'm reading from this and the last 2 pages. Is the 3D challenge supposed to be focused on the actual character as I understand the 2D is supposed to be? Or is it allowed to be a scene? If it's focused on the character, what kind of picture should it be? Would a character posing with a schematic be fine? Should we deliver various angles/poses of the same character? And lastly, when the instructions say that the "creation" in question has to have some visible reason or function for whatever the creator has made, does this imply that we have to (if needed) have the creation performing an action?

My current model is a working concept, meaning it'd be animateable with the right rigging - however, that is something I have yet to get right. I am able to put the various bits in certain poses if necessary, but it takes a whole lot of time and effort so I'd like to know upfront the do's and don'ts.:surprised

harnelbe
04-24-2004, 06:50 AM
....hum sorry to disturb you there...
I made a mistake...
this morning... uploading a picture for modeling... i 've not validate the modeling milestone but the rendering one...
:blush:
ARghhhhh
How can i rectify that ?
Thanks in advance.

HARNELBE.

SibSpi
04-25-2004, 06:18 PM
I've now figured the only way I can deliver a concept is if I make wire (real wire, not CG Wireframe) models and draw my concept from them. I don't at this point care if it disqualifies me or not, because I quite plainly get p'd off when I start something that I can't finish, or that isn't even worthy of any attention.
Hope to upload the sketch in about a month, as I will have it done properly by then.

*yawn* sleep is a pain in the :surprised

Borro
04-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi, can I put more than one character in my scene(it's the same just multiply him)??

P.S. My character will be a soldier and I want to put many soldiers... ;)

jddog
05-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Hello,

gota a serius problem, my last thread (from the week) they disappear at avery thread posted in the contest... ???

What's happend ????

I loose all coments to my freinds + my posts in my own thread...

jdd

---
EDITED >>> sorry I see it now...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=142548

Data lost between 6-14 may...

redwing
05-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Hello~
I lost my whole thread after this terrible attack.
but I still can seek my works at

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/view_entries.php?challenger=3547

so ,how can I do?
go on Upload WIP Images OR Enter Challenge again?
Thanks~

DB5BOND
05-14-2004, 05:54 PM
I have lost mine toooooooo arrgggg

BernardoDelgado
05-14-2004, 07:09 PM
nooooooooooooooo I've lost mine tooo dammm what can WE doooooooo???????????? its not fair :cry: can we recover our thread????:hmm: :blush: ??

Kanga
05-14-2004, 09:25 PM
My thread is still intact, except for the modeling milestones (which I still have on my pc) and the comments from one contributor.

I wouldnt go posting everything again just yet as I read all this is on a temporary server, if everybody posts everything at once we might make things worse. I would keep an eye on this thread and see how things go. I rekon the CGTalk guys have an awful lot to do at the moment but I am sure full service will be resumed in no time.

A friend of mine got attaked a couple of weeks ago and lost his mother board, he is my web geek and if he is vunerable it can happen to anybody.

Keep the faith Kanga

ali-rahimi-shahmirzadi
05-15-2004, 12:11 AM
my member id for machinefleshe 3d is (OBITUARY) but after this attack i cant login with this id and my entery is gone. i mean the entery with the images is exist, but the entery page is lost. what the hell iam going to do?
:cry:

redwing
05-15-2004, 04:56 AM
I am sorry
if I Upload WIP ,the system say

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1

Whoops! Something strange happened with the database. An email has been dispatched to the Webmaster to look into

and if I try to Enter Challenge again,the system:

Our records show that you have already entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge! You may submit your entries, however, you are already registered for this challenge and do not need to re-register.

I have no way but waiting....

jddog
05-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by =redwing=
Hello~
I lost my whole thread after this terrible attack.
[...]
so ,how can I do?
go on Upload WIP Images OR Enter Challenge again?
Thanks~

good question what we need to do ???

jdd

deiterate
05-15-2004, 04:03 PM
I entered the challenge pretty late... In the last week. Everything for my entry post is gone and I can't make an WIP udpates... I have been working non-stop all week. Now I can't even post any of my work...

Hmmm. Seems I have no posts now too... Ah well. Hope someone here can fix this problem. The original linke to my entry thread was

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=143941

Thanks!

peksi
05-16-2004, 07:29 AM
You should read that sticky announcement called: Announcement: CGTalk Restored - Data lost between 6-14 May

That explains it all.

deiterate
05-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks

Actually, I did read that. I also was trying to upload a milestone when CGTalk got crashed. I read the server message about the hackers at that point too.

The problem is that I entered the challenge during the period in which the database was compromised. That means that my CGTalk entry is gone, and all my posts. Including the my entire entry Thread...

CGNetworks still has me as participating in the challlenge, but I have no CGTalk thread associated to it, so I can't update my WIPs... This means I can't really participate... I guess I can ask the CGNetwork admins to delete my entry so I can re-enter and get a new CGTalk Wip thread.... I think that is what I will do.

flyingP
05-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Just a quick question with regards to the upload of the final image in June. I'll actually be on holiday from June 5th to the 19th (bad planning on my part I know :) ), and will not be able to upload during that time, so what I'd like to know is how high is the likelyhood that'll we'll have the upload information for the final image before June 5th? :)

falconking
05-17-2004, 01:50 AM
1. why can¬īt I post new treads ? can you tell me ???
2. Is the contest open to animators from all over the world or just the USA ? I read the entire rules and they never say anything about this... very strange.
3. when will the winner be anounced ?

thanks and good luck !!!

Kanga
05-17-2004, 07:26 PM
falconking

Go to the 'Machineflesh website' thread at the start of this forum.
If you click on the link in the post it will take you to the official entry and posting website. You have to enter your username and CGTalk password first, you will get an email back with your thread address and a link where you can post your milestones.

Good luck, hope this helps,
BTW, I have a German name, I am living in Holland, I was born in Australia, My Mum is of Scottish descent, my Dad had a bit of Russian in him, so I don't rekon nationality would be a problem.:)

Greetings Kanga

newone
05-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi,

Can I publish some of my wip image in other forum than cgtalk? in other forum with my native language.

falconking
05-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Help !!

everytime I try to upload I get this error:

Step 3 of 3 - Submitting Image

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1

Whoops! Something strange happened with the database. An email has been dispatched to the Webmaster to look into.

What can I do ?? please help !!

Falconking :cry:

Mibus
05-20-2004, 12:16 AM
falkonking:

The first thing I'd try is removing non-letter characters from your title and notes. Strip out characters like backslashes (\), and quotes (" and ').

If it still doesn't work, send me an email (robert@ballisticmedia.net) with the title, notes, and a copy of the image, and I'll see what I can do :)

EmpY
05-24-2004, 09:18 PM
How would you consider ZBrush? 2D or 3D app
when it is both??

Would one be alowed to use 2D tools in ZBrush
for 2D challenge??

really curious:shrug:

leigh
05-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I've answered a lot of these questions via email already but thought it best to actually post some answers here for anyone else who may have similar queries, just to save on time.

Please note that I am ignoring technical questions here as I have stated numerous times already that technical questions (server issues, errors, changing your entry details, problems after the hack, etc) are please to be emailed to robert@ballisticmedia.net (Mibus, who occasionally posts in here) who is the only person who can help you with this!

We will give all the details necessary for final image requirements when the time comes.

What is the difference between?

You still have to submit your Post Effects and Compositing milestone.
And
You still have to submit your Final Image milestone.

Because people may do work even further after these stages between the initial post work and the final image. The idea is that all stages are shown clearly, and that the final image is in fact the FINAL image that you have decided to submit.

More information about the final image requirements will be posted close to the challenge end.

question - is a concept sketch abosuletely necessary?

YES. A concept sketch is absolutely essential. Even if it is rough, it is a required milestone and failure to submit one will disqualify your entry from the judging phase.

Although it may have been answered before, I haven't the time (or will) to look for it so I'm reading from this and the last 2 pages. Is the 3D challenge supposed to be focused on the actual character as I understand the 2D is supposed to be? Or is it allowed to be a scene? If it's focused on the character, what kind of picture should it be? Would a character posing with a schematic be fine?

People are free to make scenes, in both the 2D and the 3D catagories. How you present your character is entirely up to you.

And lastly, when the instructions say that the "creation" in question has to have some visible reason or function for whatever the creator has made, does this imply that we have to (if needed) have the creation performing an action?

No, but basically they should at least appear to have some purpose. These rules were put in place to avoid having 1000 entries of chicks with big boobs and guns for arms.

Hi, can I put more than one character in my scene(it's the same just multiply him)??

Yes.

Just a quick question with regards to the upload of the final image in June. I'll actually be on holiday from June 5th to the 19th (bad planning on my part I know ), and will not be able to upload during that time, so what I'd like to know is how high is the likelyhood that'll we'll have the upload information for the final image before June 5th?

Hmm that is a good question. Please email me at leigh@cgnetworks.com closer to the time and I will see what I can do to help!

1. why can¬īt I post new treads ? can you tell me ???
2. Is the contest open to animators from all over the world or just the USA ? I read the entire rules and they never say anything about this... very strange.
3. when will the winner be anounced ?

You have to enter through the CGNetworks site. Please read the FAQ thread.
People can enter from anywhere in the world. We don't mention this specifically because people should know that a contest held on an international forum is obviously for people all over the world ;)
The winner will be announced after the judging. This can take a week or two.

Can I publish some of my wip image in other forum than cgtalk? in other forum with my native language.

Yes there is nothing stopping you from doing this.

How would you consider ZBrush? 2D or 3D app
when it is both??

Would one be alowed to use 2D tools in ZBrush
for 2D challenge??

Hmmm this is a tricky question. I would be more inclined to say that ZB is a 3D app. Since it certainly has more dimensions than 2D, I would have to say that you cannot use it for a 2D entry. Rather enter into the 3D catagory.

BloodTaster
05-28-2004, 03:12 PM
HELP! every time i try to submit my work i get this

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 2560 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/cgnetworks.com/httpdocs/libs/imagelib.php on line 31

i do know, whats happening?

leigh
05-30-2004, 07:33 PM
The image you're trying to submit is far too big.

Mibus
05-31-2004, 02:44 AM
FWIW I've gone over the page, added a 1.3MPixel limit (it says 1280x1024 but you can munge it around a bit as long as you only have that much image data) and upped the limit that a page can use from 8MB to 16MB.

No-one else should have this problem again :-)

LineDetail
05-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Are we allowed to draw in pencil and paper and then scan the illustration and edit the rest in photoshop? or does it all have to be digitally made?

-Line

LineDetail
06-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Also, Can the final piece be less then 2657 x 3636 pixels @300dpi?

How many size arrangements can there be?
-Line

flyingP
06-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Just a quick question with regards to the upload of the final image in June. I'll actually be on holiday from June 5th to the 19th (bad planning on my part I know ), and will not be able to upload during that time, so what I'd like to know is how high is the likelyhood that'll we'll have the upload information for the final image before June 5th?

Hmm that is a good question. Please email me at leigh@cgnetworks.com closer to the time and I will see what I can do to help!

Just got an Email back from my mail delivery service that it cannot deliver to your address Leigh is there a chance that you could perhaps get back in touch with me over PM or something ? I only have about 2 and a half days left in which I will actually be able to upload.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Read

Riddick
06-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Hello I would like, to know a thing.

My image makes 6449 width by 5098 Height pixels (300dpi).
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1365575#post1365575

Is it too big?
If she is, do I have to change the composition and the size?
Because she is finished but a friend questioned his size and there I have big doubts.

MicH
06-07-2004, 05:46 AM
Hi !

Have some problem with my thread in the machineflesh challenge, I can only guess that is because of my swedish letter "ö" in my name.. which causes some trouble with the forum.. :( , If you modeators please could change som param or change my entry name to Micha Bostrom .. "o" instead of "ö"

Else I don't know what the problem could be...anyways
.. The issues that occur are that the page won't show up first time I'll or any of my friends click on the link, It doesen't matter if we refresh the page. I'll have to make the page a favourite link in my explorer, then refresh that link two times.. then the page will show. Problem 2 is that I want to delete one double post I made, but It seems that I lack permission?! don't know why.. but I enterd my email and hoped there should be a activation code sent.. but I haven't recived one

I heard earlier through Leigh that I should contact Robert @ ballistic.. and such I have done I hope (waiting to get a mail from him).

Any help would be much appricieated =)

sincerily
/Micha

PS. My thread is: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=130453
Current on page 5 in the main challenge thread

Mibus
06-07-2004, 06:27 AM
MicH: Does it work any better now? I've removed the umlauts from the 'o', as that seems like the most likely cause for the problem. (We're looking into character set issues between CGTalk and CGNetworks, we've had "issues" with stuff before).

As for forum permissions, it's pretty much Leigh's domain...

MicH
06-07-2004, 10:40 AM
it works great !
thanks a lot Robert :beer:

/MicH

PS. Leigh send me a pm when u come to visit sverige :wavey:

DimitrisLiatsos
06-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi Mibus ...one question...i have my final image ready...can i use today June 7 th....the " Submit Final image " link on challenge site to upload my final...and ..can it be compressed with winzip or it has to be in uncompressed form , original TIFF file...?

regards
Dimitris.

:bounce:

gulliver3
06-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Leonard
Post your questions or raise any issues here. If it's noteworthy, it will be included in the official FAQ.

Please only post questions or raise issues that have not already been answered in the FAQ or previous posts as this thread will get very big shortly...

Thanks,

L. hi leonard , yesterday i posted my final image in tiff format , and i 'd like to know if cgtalk received that , so just a confirmation for know if all is ok...

thank's ... :thumbsup:

leigh
06-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Are we allowed to draw in pencil and paper and then scan the illustration and edit the rest in photoshop? or does it all have to be digitally made?

The concept can be pencil but the rest must be digital.

Also, Can the final piece be less then 2657 x 3636 pixels @300dpi?

How many size arrangements can there be?

Please stick to the size specifications.

Problem 2 is that I want to delete one double post I made, but It seems that I lack permission?! don't know why..

Users are not able to delete their own posts. If you need a post removed, use the Report to Moderator function. If the post includes an image you uploaded through the challenge system, then you need to get Mibus (Robert at Ballistic) to remove it for you.

And yup I'll let you know when I visit Sweden again ;)

Hi Mibus ...one question...i have my final image ready...can i use today June 7 th....the " Submit Final image " link on challenge site to upload my final...and ..can it be compressed with winzip or it has to be in uncompressed form , original TIFF file...?

Ermm I think it's supposed to be the pure TIFF file, not zipped.... but hopefully Mibus can confirm this...

hi leonard , yesterday i posted my final image in tiff format , and i 'd like to know if cgtalk received that , so just a confirmation for know if all is ok...

If it uploaded without problems then it *should* be there...

gulliver3
06-07-2004, 10:05 PM
thank's a lot leigh...

Mibus
06-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Final Image Uploads

http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/final_image.php

You should save your full print-res work as an "uncompressed TIFF", then compress it into a ZIP file using WinZIP or something similar.

Upload details are given at the above URL, after you've entered your CGTalk username/password.

Once you've uploaded your image, go to the "Final Upload" page again, and you can work out if it worked or not. If it worked properly, you'll get a scaled-down copy of your image on the page.

Make certain you have the correct filename... Some OSes - Windows is the biggest - hide file extensions, so when you add the ".zip", you'll actually get something like "76055_43159.zip.zip".

If you have trouble uploading images, email me at robert@ballisticmedia.net :)

Riddick
06-08-2004, 08:03 AM

Please stick to the size specifications.[/B]
Well i have always my problem:

My image makes 6449 width by 5098 Height pixels (300dpi).
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...575#post1365575

Is it too big?
If she is, do I have to change the composition and the size?
Because she is finished but a friend questioned his size and there I have big doubts.

What is exactly a guidelines?
Sorry but in my french mind it is just a proposition minimum of size to be respected.
But is it really the case?
Either is that a fixed size to be kept absolutely?

leigh
06-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Riddick, if that is the size it rendered, then so be it. The guidelines on the instructions page were a common example, as it turns out. So submit that. If you have problems, contact Robert.

Everyone please be sure to read THIS THREAD (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146902) for uploading instructions for your final images!

Riddick
06-08-2004, 02:41 PM
I had none problems for the transfer.
Thank you very much Leigh!

I am reassured!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hmm:

Cartesius
06-09-2004, 09:38 AM
I've uploaded the final image (TIFF, 300 DPI, compressed with Winzip and the zip archive name is identical to the info I was given) and everything went just fine, except for one thing. When the upload was done I expected to actually see my zipped archive in the FTP browser window but I didn't. I haven't received any confirmation that my upload came through OK. Is there some way to find out for sure?

/Anders