PDA

View Full Version : still: Space Battleship

Coolhand
06-21-2004, 12:21 AM
I made this for the Ferion design a ship contest over at scifi-meshes.com.

this picture won first place in the contest:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/coolhand/ferionbattleship/13.jpg

sempiternal
06-21-2004, 02:03 AM
nice image, i don't know anything about ship design so i don't really have any crits for that. and well actually i can't think of any crits in general, i guess that means its pretty cool.:)

Lord_Snip
06-21-2004, 03:31 AM
I really lke the amount of details of your models, good work !

igorstshirts
06-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Yeah dude, that's pretty nice. Any animations or higher res stills? Looks good.

Grezdog
06-21-2004, 06:26 AM
i really like the grade of detail. texturing is ok, nothing very complicated :)
maybe you should add some more lights to the ship as some kind of windows. i think here won´t be a ship without any possibilities to look out into the space.
i think some little lights would be enough to give more realism to it.
you either could try to do that with texturing or with real lights

but generally a good work

Coolhand
06-22-2004, 05:25 PM
thanks for your comments guys, there is a lot more detail than shows up in that pic, heres the pic i nearly used in the contest.

no anims at present, its a bit of a strain on my comp, gonna wait until my next upgrade.
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/coolhand/ferion/ferion_Battleshipdsktp.jpg

Dennik
06-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Thats a lovely design Coolhand, realy pro work! Maybe it needs more red stripes somewhere along the hull to give a little variation on the coloring. Other than that, i realy like it!

Coolhand
06-22-2004, 05:56 PM
thankyou dennik, i'm quite proud of the model, it certainly puts my other stuff to shame in terms of detail.

i deliberately kept the colours subtle, the red is just to indicate warning areas for formation craft and work crews. although i might have added more decorations if i had more time before the contest deadline.

heres one last pic of it, a schematic type diagram to explain all the components.
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/coolhand/ferionbattleship/Schematic01%5b1%5d.jpg

igorstshirts
06-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Damn cuz.... That's sick!

smoke
06-22-2004, 06:01 PM
:buttrock: the design, modeling, and textures are all excellent

Frwanque
06-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Nice space ship dude
you have a great concept everything looks thiked before modeled
I like it will you do many different ?

visjes
06-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Very purdy. Only crit I can offer is that in the first image, I'm not sure that the sun (based on the lighting of the planet) is at an angle that would light the space ship like that. Otherwise :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Coolhand
06-22-2004, 06:14 PM
thanks all. i'm kinda surprised i have so many replies, what with the quality of the work on this site, but i'm glad you all seem to like it.

eventually i'm gonna modify the design, or maybe just the textures and use it for my own universe project, you can see it here (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/coolhand/), most of the work there is from a year ago or more, i have learned a lot since then.

visjes, the ship and planet were a composite, but the lighting is coming from the same angle, i copied the key light and camera from the ship scene and used those to render the planet to ensure accuracy.

i just wish i had made a large pic of the first image, but the contest rules specified 1024x768, which made it pointless to add as much detail as i did, but hey, i enjoyed it.

jfelrod1960
06-25-2004, 04:20 AM
Very nice work on your battleship. :thumbsup: What kind of animation are you planning?

Frank Dodd
06-25-2004, 12:19 PM
A very nice piece of work that fits well into the professional CGTalk environment. The ship is highly detailed and very well textured, its got a great worn but well maintained functional look to it that suits it well. The style, although very unique, would be well fitted into the BattleStar Galactica fleet.

Looking forward to your animation.

TheNeverman
06-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Nice detail...
Design looks slightly borrowed from Starship Troopers...

n8

didier13
06-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Very pro starship that got it's place in cgtalk. i like the details of the starship and in particular the design. For which project do you do that?

Good work :applause:

MadMeph
06-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Hehehe, Well done coolie ;-)

Coolhand
06-26-2004, 01:31 PM
wow, i was really surprised to see this had gotten more messages, thanks a lot everyone.

jfelrod1960, umm, a big anim with lots of explosions, but like i said before, i dont have the power atm to do it, the machine tends to run out of memory after a short while.

Frank Dodd, yeah its a shame they didn't expand the universe anymore to include smaller cap ships, if this was part of the new bsg universe i guess it would be a frigate or something like that.

TheNeverman, yeah i've read that comment quite a few times, but different people get reminded of different designs, i hope its not too derivative of any design in particular.

didier13, it was the ferion (http://www.ferion.com/) design a starship contest over at www.scifi-meshes.com (http://www.scifi-meshes.com).

meph, cheers mate:)

sormann3d
06-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Wow, Very detailed work!
looks good

Sue3d
06-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Very, very nice! I love all those details and the colors. :)

rmsmedia
06-26-2004, 09:12 PM
I can't crit the quality of your techniques...the only thing I can crit would be the compostion of your rendered images, they're just a little bland, the ship being squat in the middle of your image...definitely check out Ryan Churches work, I'm sure you're familiar with it, but his compostion for ships is amazing!( www.ryanchurch.com (http://www.ryanchurch.com) )

Jeager
06-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Nice work :thumbsup:

polymonkey
06-26-2004, 11:52 PM
wow! this is awesome!!:buttrock:

shyy
06-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Mazaing detailed and texture

darktenp
06-27-2004, 12:24 PM
very nice modeling.

samize
06-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Very nice.

The design is a bit too common but well modeled and all, anyway.
I like the atmosphere in the space renders too (high contrast e white light).

TheNeverman
06-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Too common???
Where else have you seen this style of work?

n8

NMarzian
06-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Coolhand,

fantastic work. I love that spaceship-design. Will you animate your battleship, too? I want to see some laser-action! :bounce:

Bye,
Noryx

Akira2506
06-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Great work Steve!

I hadn't seen the schematic-pic before; That's a great image. I think you need to render the "rockhopper" on the landing pad or something. If you need some rendering power, you know where to find me.

-Akira

samize
06-27-2004, 05:10 PM
TheNeverman, it's basic shape is a 'T'. It's made up of square metalic plates.
I believe that every spaceship movie or game or whatever has at least one ship of this kind.

Anyway, that doesn't mean it's bad, actualy the modeling is quite good and the basic desing doesn't ruin anything at all.
I just think it's common. o_O

darktenp
06-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Which software u used?3ds max?

Coolhand
07-04-2004, 10:02 PM
again, thanks for all the replies everyone, its appreciated.

rmsmedia, thanks for the link, inspiring stuff. the images i've shown are more to do with just showing off the whole ship, rather than do anything interesting with composition. its something that i will work on in future images though.

Samael3D, its a generic looking ship, as it was for a contest i wanted something that fans of any series would see something they like in it so yes in that way it is common.

darktenp, it was all done in max.

Tims0l
07-05-2004, 01:39 AM
wauwie nice job!

kinda reminds me of the new battestar... but this one looks better!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.