PDA

View Full Version : Animation - Walk cycle exercise

liquidik
06-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Trying to improve my animation skills now that I have some spare time.
Nothing too fancy here, just a simple walk cycle with some personalty, and a lot more passes to do.
I'd love to have some opinions before going on.

Liquid

http://www.liquidnet.it/walk_02.avi

Right click and save target as. Divx 5.1

bawhabmw
06-20-2004, 11:03 PM
looks good to me man! maybe just add some life to his fingers...

other than that it looks good!

//benno

liquidik
06-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks very much! :)

And yes, fingers need work, at the moment they are not animated at all (just a static pose).

I'll post another revision soon :D

skull_leader
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
I am not an expert but I'll you some honest opinion...

- The hip movement is too feminine.
- Like bawhabmw saids, loosen up the fingers.
- The upper arm swing doesn't look like it has the momentum to cause a bend that "big" in the lower arm.
- If you are animating in 25 frames per second, make sure you frame one is the same as frame 25 and only render from frame one to frame 24 to get a cycle.
- The head movement, leg, shoulder and hip are "individually" good from my point of view but they all look like they are from different types of walk (shoulder look like from a proud walk, leg from a heavy (slightly) walk, head from a normal walk, hip from a woman walk).

Not bad overall since walk cycle is one of the hardest thing to animate. I still haven't been able to animate a good walk cycle that I am satisfied with yet.

liquidik
06-21-2004, 02:19 PM
hey skull_leader., very good eye. I mean that's what I need to improve, my eyes...

Still fighting with the tools though and yes, walk cycles are not so easy (this was my third attempt).
Anyway, I wrote down all your suggestions and I'm try to follow them to improve the animation.
Thanks a lot guys!

Liquid

ps: the cycle is right (last frame is not used), but there's something wrong with the media player. I think I'm going to use quicktime next time.

CuTnPaste
06-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Liquidik: is it possible that your animation is not perfect animation, but this is really a good start, for sure.

good wip

liquidik
06-25-2004, 04:59 PM
New pass!
I've tried to improve head and body flow. Hips are a little less feminine now. Testing wrist movement (just one animated). I know it looks too clean and lacks of personality, but I need to understand this basic principles.
As usual the cycle in Media Player is not fluid, QT is better, but I had to install it first.

C&C welcome :lol:

Liquid

http://www.liquidnet.it/walk_03.avi

Right click and save target as... divx 5.1.1

EthanReitz
06-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi liquidik - left wrist still seems to have a bit of a life of it's own like he's keeping time with it. Seems to be a slight bump in the hip but maybe that's media player. Just to be sure why don't you let it cycle twice - that way the flow it uninteruppted and the divx file won't really be that much bigger.

nice walk cycle :)

murnau
06-26-2004, 02:24 PM
really good work, and the model is too likeable! :scream:
maybe, you have to reduce the movement of the shoulders

liquidik
06-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Hey Murnau,

thanks a lot. But the model is not mine though.
You can freely download it from www.rigging101.com (http://www.rigging101.com).

It's a really good model with a super rig...pretty good for practicing animation :)

CU
Liquid

murnau
06-26-2004, 06:27 PM
oh, i'd like to try me too. tanks for information

liquidik
06-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Another pass here...the I think I'm going to switch so something else and come back to this cycle later, with fresh eyes :)

Right click and save target as...divx 5.1.1

http://www.liquidnet.it/walk_05.avi

murnau
06-28-2004, 12:30 AM
damn, it's really difficult! liquidik, do you proceed to animate one only leg at time, or both? thanks

liquidik
06-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Well generally i work in layer... first the center of gravity, then the body flows and then legs. Finally arms and hands, but it's just a method.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.