PDA

View Full Version : link object to vertex??

BCSimpson
07-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Anyone know of, or have a script that will allow me to bind an object to a single vertex? I've tried these 2:

BindPoints: http://www.footools.com/plugins.html

and

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/artz/3dsmax/mxs/linko2v.php

...however I can't seem to get either of them to work. Maybe you are familiar with these scripts and could help me understand them better.

Thanks for any and all help!

Chris
07-24-2002, 12:35 AM
I havent tried either of those scripts, but what about just using an attachment constraint? you could attach & align it to a face & move the attachment point right up to where the vertex is...

BCSimpson
07-24-2002, 01:47 PM
sounds good...how might I go about doing that in Max 3.5?

DanielWichterich
07-24-2002, 02:20 PM
@ bcsimpson: don't know about max 3 but in max 4 you find it in Animation->Constraints->Attachment Constraint.
In the motion panel under assign controller you can rightclick the Attachment Controller for properties.
@Chris: Thanks! I have been searching for that possibility for a long time! But this way MAX attaches a hole object to a face. Is there a possibilty to attach just some of the vertexes to the face?
I hope you understand!

BCSimpson
07-24-2002, 02:23 PM
oh the glorious day when our studio upgrades!

Chris
07-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Sorry, is there an attachment controller in Max 3.5? I seem to remember them moving a few controllers over to being constraints, perhaps that was one of them? :shrug:

@Stange
Yep, just select the vertices you want to attach, then without exiting the subobject mode, apply a 'linked xform'. Create a dummy where the vertices are & use that as the linked xforms target. Then assign an attachment constraint to the dummy, that will attach to the object you want, & the vertices will follow the dummy via the linked xform... :)

ilasolomon
07-25-2002, 12:04 AM
just as CHRSI said, again!... :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:
hey, everytime i'm going to tell the solution i see u did it before!!!
:beer: cheers...

Chris
07-25-2002, 12:34 AM
:beer: I'm on a rolllll today! :D

DanielWichterich
07-25-2002, 08:59 AM
It works! You guys are great! Don't know how long I have been searching for that! My avatar (that lizard) has got a loincloth and I was always trying to nail it to his belt. And nooow I finally can!
Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.