PDA

View Full Version : Character :: reaper

Slav
06-20-2004, 09:51 AM
what should i impruve on ... i have only been using maya for 8 months and i know its not perfect but i would like to know where i should put detail if i want to animate this little guy.

and nother question about mental ray. when i render using mental ray i seem to get circular white bloches instead of light ... that due to photon accuricy?

if the image doesnt show here is a link ... copy/paste in browser.

--EDIT--

lestdog
06-20-2004, 07:24 PM
first off, thats a neat little character, I really like the drawing and the execution, great job! Oh BTW you will need to post a wireframe soon, because its just the rules and they may delete this forum. So get it up quick. That being said I think we will need to see that wireframe in order to see if its ready for you to start rigging for animation. However B4 that even, you should start texturing it or at the very minimum get you UVs laid out at this point. But anyway, good job and keep posting your progress I like the character a lot. He can make for a creepy little movie!

Slav
06-21-2004, 12:35 AM
the uvs are already there. i cant texture for my life though. i dont know where to start.

i mean i would love to do multi layered textures but thoes are too annoying to keep track of.

any who here is the wire and wrap.

here is a mirror. i have really got to find a new art dump.

--EDIT--

Slav
06-23-2004, 01:56 AM
here is a UV distribution render

now the big question ... anyone want to give me some advice on how to texture this guy... i was thinking something like cloth and bone on the face.

--EDIT--

Slav
07-07-2004, 03:53 AM
i edited some of the posts and i decided to post a texture update.

let me know what you guys think. what can be made better ...

here is the link to the image.
--edit--

barcode
07-07-2004, 04:23 AM
I can't see any detail in that rendering except for on the face (the rest is a silhouette). Please post another version with lighting on the front of the body. Also a wire would be useful.

Slav
07-09-2004, 09:02 AM
here is another render i did a bit more work on the textures

i hope this one is a bit more clear sorry about the other image. it was a bid render.

--edit--

lestdog
07-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Looking good slav, it's hard to tell whats going on totally with this front view. I mean what I see looks cool. He's looking pretty scary. He does have that streotypical asian look in a way. Are going for that? Does he have a scarf or something around his neck? Also what happend to all the other images you had in your orginal post? You should get those back up here because they were quite good. I'm sad that you have not been getting a lot of replys. People have gotton very lazy in the WIP section.:sad: ANyway I think your character is great. He will totally make for an interesting animation.

Slav
07-09-2004, 01:02 PM
http://members.rogers.com/slav1/reapertestrender.jpg

here is a few renders of the character the cape it self is yet to be finished but for the most part its done. just a few uvs that need to be sorted out

lestdog :: i am not a native asian so i would not know what you mean by "streotypical asian look" i was not really aiming for anything other then an origianal character that i could animate for a short reel so i could get into collage. as for why i have to edit my other posts well the reason is simple as the question asked the web host whom is also my isp, are really uptight about the ammount of space and banwith i use by reserving the 10 mb space i got i hope to minimise the ammount of traffic that's redirected to my webpage.

which i dont mind if people go a look at

http://members.rogers.com/slav1

but it all has its price. i just hope they dont make me pay of excess use ... which i know they dont because its a free service with the internet service they provide. its ok i was never in the spot light nor do i plan to be the few poeple that do comment i get to know better and have a conversation that is worth more socially. at least to me anyways.

barcode
07-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Now I can see what's going on. Looks pretty good for a stylized character. Since it's a reaper, is the character going to have a scythe or something to reap with? Also, what about glowing eyes?

Slav
07-09-2004, 08:10 PM
the scythe i can do but glowing eyes is just way ahead of my skills right now
i am not sure how to do the eyes exactly how i want them ... sprite smoke light fog... either way its going to be a bit heavy for the type of simple animation i want to do with him .... maybe later on i am going to give him some more details but right now since iam only learing maya i can only take this guy so far, but i am sure i will be able to do something of the sort in the future.

lestdog
07-09-2004, 08:46 PM
hey slav, I sent you a PM. Make sure you check it out.

Slav
07-10-2004, 05:45 AM
hey slav, I sent you a PM. Make sure you check it out.
ok thanks ill check it out ...

weasel.acuh5o
07-10-2004, 12:22 PM
looks great, I specially like the hood... very nice style. I like the idea with the scythe, I think it would work very nice. I'm not sure with the glowing eyes, I would rather leave them like this. I think this face in a dark hood is much more fitting for a reaper.

Slav
07-10-2004, 03:58 PM
maybe i am going to make him hold a bunch of stuff and have him try to put it all on a table of some sort just an idea for the animation.

Slav
08-27-2004, 01:48 AM
took me a while to get comfortable using the component editor and artisan interfaces

here is what i got so far. its all skinned with smoothbind but there is no ik yet. some contraints and no setdriven key.

i hope to get thoes working soon. i am still trying to get the gist of blend shape and a few other concepts. so with that siad here is a little update of this little guy.

Slav
09-08-2004, 02:34 PM
anyone know where i can get some infomation on compressing divx, 3ivx or .mov vids?

i have no idea how to convert or render iff images stright to animation files.

SlashTen
09-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Adobe Premiere will make an animation out of stills. I'm not sure it can use iff, though. It works with .tif and .jpg, and several others. Premiere will make .mov; I'm not familiear with 3ivx, but creating files in the divx format requires purchasing something (you may be able to get a watermarked codec for free).

/slash

Slav
09-08-2004, 09:04 PM
any tutorials on how to do this?

in premier jpg -> mov?

SlashTen
09-09-2004, 06:33 PM
This is for Adobe Premiere 6.

Your source .jpg's should be named 'name###.jpg,' where 'name' is whatever name you want and '###' is the frame number. Whatever 3D package you are using should do this automatically.

When you start a new project, you get the "Load Project Settings" window. Click the custom button. Set editing mode to Video for Windows or Quicktime, depending on whether you want a .avi or a .mov, then hit next. For your compressor, Cinepak is the most standard. I think pretty much anyone with windows has the software necessary to play a Cinepak file. You have to install the DivX codec (free download, I think), but it makes an extremely small file. If you use Quicktime, the Sorenson compressor has great quality and is still very compact. DivX is what most people on this forum use, and it is probably your best bet because it is o small. Set the frame size to the same size as your rendered output frame. Set the Pixel Aspect Ratio to Square Pixels (1.0) and the frame rate to 30, then click Ok.

Next, click File>Import>File, select the first jpg of your sequence, check 'Numbered Stills,' and click Ok. Your file name should appear in the project window with a little thumbnail. Drag the name down into one of the video channels and press ctrl-m on your keyboard. Give your video a file name then click settings. All the settings should be the same as you set them in the "Load Project Settings" window, but check over them again just in case. Make sure the file type and compressor are the ones you chose. Click Ok then click Save. Premiere will then output your video to the file. It could take a long time, depending on the length of your animation and the speed of your computer.

/slash

Slav
09-22-2004, 05:11 PM
i am wondering if there is a way to just render directly into an avi/mov format

something like a playblast but with high quality settings.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.