PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush streamlined for games?

^Abe^
06-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Hi was wondering how usable Zbrush models are in games. On the Pixologic website it says that a low resolution mesh can be exported along with a displacement map containing your more detailed modeling. Does this mean that you can detail the model as much as you like and not have to worry about it slowing things down heaps?

Thanks
Abe.

http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Prod.gif

mmkelly011881
06-21-2004, 02:29 AM
Thats exactly what it means Abe,
One thing you have to consider though is that normal mapping isn't in too many games just yet. You have to wait for a game engine that can support it. Doom 3 and the next Unreal game are both scheduled to allow that type of detail via lighting

Coolhand
06-21-2004, 02:44 AM
apparently 'far cry' supports it already.:)

Tantramancer
06-21-2004, 03:06 AM
I heard a rumor that HalfLife 2 was going to be using that kind of normal mapping too but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Anybody know?

Anyway, I've been using ZBrush about 3 months now I'd guess. I'm really impressed with it. It does a great job for both low and high poly stuff. As great as the modeling tools are the speed probably impresses me the most. It takes like a tenth of the amount of time to model something in ZBrush than it used to take me in Max.

^Abe^
06-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Great! Thanks for your reply.

Kael
09-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Thats exactly what it means Abe,
One thing you have to consider though is that normal mapping isn't in too many games just yet. You have to wait for a game engine that can support it. Doom 3 and the next Unreal game are both scheduled to allow that type of detail via lighting
Do you know anything concerning Unreal 2004 engine. Plus an off-topic question: Does the zbrush texturing method work better for games? (meaning that uv unwrapping that extends every single face on grid with exactly similar sizes... uneditable in photoshop but supposed to be better for render)???

StephanD
09-28-2004, 12:37 PM
It's optimal for "3d" paint and Displacements...If you want to paint in PS,you'll have to apply another UV channel and have your color map inside this one,that way you can take advantage of the displacements perfect uv sets and use the traditionnal way with the other one.

I find it much more intuitive to paint in 3d.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.