PDA

View Full Version : Creating Clouds in max

Tsukiyono
06-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Have been trying to find a tutorial on creating good clouds in max, but it usually leads me to photoshop which would be fine if i was not going to animate them. If anyone would be abe to help, it would be much aprreciated.

pearl3d
06-20-2004, 01:13 PM
http://www.creativecow.net/articles/lacle_greg/clouds/index.html
http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/3DS-MAX/Effects/3

hope this helps

Tsukiyono
06-20-2004, 07:24 PM
this looks very helpful.. thanks a\gain

Tsukiyono
06-21-2004, 03:13 AM
okay... not sure if i am typing this in the right thread so, i apoligize if this is in the wrong spot

now once i get the clouds done i want to have it make an effect as if it is sunrise or sunset... having the oranges and reds in the cloud color.... my only gues would be to have different colored lights to make this... would this work or is there another way to do it that would create a better effect?

Wout
06-24-2004, 04:04 AM
You would indeed use coloured spots, however, volumetric clouds ( like the ones from the tutorial ) can't be lit , they just have that basic color.( at least in MAX 4.2, don't know about newer versions). If you actually model them (and play around with opacity-maps), you can.

pogeybait
06-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Have a look at the Dreamscape plugin. It can take care of your animated realistic clouds as well as the red/orange/blue colors of a sunset or sunrise automatically. If you have objects that need to move through the cloud however, you might be able to use Dreamscape and some kind of volumetric clouds (Afterburn) to do the trick. Good luck.

scorpion007
06-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi, this can be relatively easily accomplished with AfterBurn. Have a look at this tutorial: http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/75
And then in afterburn, you can adjust the clouds to have color gradients over time. So they could start off orange, then turn to red, etc.

whtnoise
06-30-2004, 03:44 AM
*in voice very reminiscent of god*

"AFTERBURN..."

:D

Cryptite
06-30-2004, 06:38 AM
You know, If AB Raymarched clouds didn't take eternity to render, i might just be the happiest man alive. :rolleyes:

ikster hunt
07-04-2004, 12:58 PM
you may try to use noise as a map on a plane.
choose opacity map>>noise,change the parameter as u like.
dong forget to fill the white map with gradien map>>radial
and again, white map in gradien map with gradien map 2.

try to play in the parameter, use multiple plane, adjust the lighting,
anddd...voila..there u got the cloud. it is easy and so light :buttrock:

Tsukiyono
07-05-2004, 03:33 AM
Thank you for all the help. Some of these i was not able to try for money cntraints but i was able to get a good looking cloud out of the first option. so thanks again for all the ideas.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.