PDA

View Full Version : interior:Katana

damoke
06-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Hello this is my last image ,maya 6 y mental ray comments apreciated,image completition 2 days
http://damoke.50megs.com/images/jap_room.jpg

Bygzam
06-18-2004, 05:59 PM
nice work!

i really the lighting and rendering. it feels kind like "Matrix"!

only one common on tatami.
as a traditional japanese tatami.
it should be look this
http://www.buddycom.com/anime/strata/tatami.jpg

Waugh
06-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi.
All right, a few things i'd like to say.
As a whole, there's something, but you'll have to change a few things.
First of all, the camera angle. Take it off the central axis of the place, and maybe lower it a lil' bit, so the room will lokk more impressive (the observer beeing closer to the ground, yes Master)
Also be careful to have homogeneous bitmaps : the paintings have different pixel ratio, different tones, and different styles : the one on the far left looks like an enlargement of a Hugo Pratt strip, the next like a french renaissance panorama, and the one on the right has a chinese touch (but maybe i'm wrong). To sum up, the two on the back are allright, but yes i know ow difficult it is to find good sources... Personnally i'd have left the sides panel blank. Keep it simple !
So far for the walls. The ground texture looks strange, doesn't feel like a tatami. Maybe a little less shininess and a triffle more bump would do... try also to add a color layer in you material, assigned on a different mapping channel, to simulate some -slightly- worn out zones. Dunno how to do this in Maya, but hey, what can't Maya do, as my Maya users friends say. ;)

What else .... oh yeah, most important : the light. Light light light.
The main object in the picture (not in the scene, in the picture!) is the katana. You must light your scene in order to drive the eye to it. If you have translated youre camera to the left and lowered it, the katana should be approximatively on the center of the upper right quarter of your picture. Know the Z rule ? Having your picture split in four quarters, draws a Z shape connecting the centers of those rectangles, and you obtain the 'path' the eye will follow. Try to keep this in mind while composing your picture.

And just to add realism, try to find documentation on japanese medieval architecture : how where thing build up in the old days ? Your room seems to hover in a white void, like the scene when Morpheus introduce Neo to the Matrix, see ? Watch the excellent Akira Kurosawa's movie : Ran, a good way to gain knowledge while enjoying a good movie. :)
Watch for the light, too, 'caus Kurosawa was a Master, boy, yes he was.
Allright, time for me to go home, spent to muc time on the computer today.
Hop i helped, you have the bases of a good picture, just polish it, think about the light, and have a good time.

Waugh.

Michas
06-18-2004, 06:27 PM
I like it :) I think katana should be closer to the camera so audience can see katana's details. It's my opinion hehe :)

:beer:
c u :)

m0nicle
06-18-2004, 08:00 PM
I would suggest looking at some real japanese room structures and textures. tatami floors are sectioned. the katana looks good however it would rarely be placed on a stand that was sitting on the floor. The japanese sword is precious to the owner and is usually placed on a raised section of the room. the paintings on the wall are not standard. and actually a few of them are actually doors which you have made to look like a wall hanging. If you are just practicing then its really not that bad. if youre going for photo realistic heres a few pics from my trip to japan that might help you with some design aspects.
http://repo.jackmoves.com/albums/albun00/SANY0008.sized.jpg
http://repo.jackmoves.com/albums/albun00/SANY0005.sized.jpg
http://repo.jackmoves.com/albums/albun00/SANY0087.jpg

TIMTHESORCERER
06-18-2004, 09:46 PM
raise the katana, the panneling is a bit odd. wood on roof needs to use more detailed texmaps

damoke
06-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Hello all! sorry for not posting before ive been out of time,thanks for the comments specially waugh for taking the time to comment the image,well the first thing id like to say is i made this in 2 days at work (jeje) with 3 bad reference pictures,so i sort of made up some things a little;
bygzam:thanks for comments and for that pic its the best ive got now but i dont think ill change the tatami yet maybe some minor changes..
waugh:hey man thanks for that post its the biggest reply ive ever had xD,i understand what u mean with the bitmaps i will have to take a better look over the net to find something or ill probably leave them blank as u said,i will try out some camera views aswel cos ive never changed it from there,havent heard of that z rule :blush: is that from cinematography?jeje ,and i named the image katana cos it just sounded good ,thats just a cylinder with deformed edges anyways just so u realize how fast i was doing this look at the back panels behind the katana and u will see they havent even got the same spacing between them :D jeej thanks for the post,u have helped :thumbsup:
mikas:thanks for comment but as i said theres no details,just a deformed cylinder :)
monicle:wow thanks for the pics!id love to do a japan trip xxD,and a was just practicing lightning but ill probably retouch it a little ..

Damoke.

Waugh
06-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Ok, so we're just sitting here, waiting for the next picture to come.

:)

Waugh.

damoke
06-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi i was about to post another image but realized this is the finished gallery so....is there a way to throw this thread to the wip section?
if there is let me know if not that will be the finished image :sad:

Waugh
06-28-2004, 08:36 AM
I dunno, kinda 'new' here too...

I guess that just starting another thread in the WIP section should be the right thing to do, and just let this one asleep 'till work's finished.

:wise: Waugh.

damoke
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
mm yes ill probably do that,anyway thanks for the replies!see ya
:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.