PDA

View Full Version : Animation Degree Questions

SirReality
06-18-2004, 03:34 PM
I am currently considering starting a degree program with Westwood College Online.

Has anyone else dealt with Westwood for an animation degree? Other colleges?

Was it worth it? Is a degree from this institution [or the one you attended] worth anything when it comes to finding jobs?

Are there other [preferably online] programs that you would recommend?

Thanks, I look forward to reading your comments!

SirReality

kevinw
06-19-2004, 03:03 AM
I don't know anything about the westwood animation program but I can't imagine it's a real indepth school. You may want to check out www.animationmentor.com if your desire an online school for character animation. Otherwise you may want to consider actually attending a school as opposed to online classes. I understand if your current schedule only allows for web classes but their are some benifits to actually attending classes.
Really what it comes down to though is your dedication. A degree looks nice on a resume but your demo reel is what gets you hired. (provided your not completely lacking in social and grooming habits)
If I were you I'd spend a great deal of time researching multiple schools before you commit. If your gonna pay for an education you really want to get the most for your money.
Good luck

SirReality
06-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Kevin! I especially like your point about the demo reel being one of the more important aspects [as far as grooming... I *think* I do okay...]. I've been to the AnimationMentor website but it looked like it hadn't really launched yet. As for dedication, my wife tells me I'm going to be very dedicated.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.