PDA

View Full Version : max bipeds : are they really used in the industry?

capone_adam
06-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Considering what to use for a future 'final year project' at Uni. I have experience at animating bipeds in max but not sure if its worth doing since I am not sure if these bipeds are really used in the industry? (as opposed to custom rigs)

Also I have tried rigging in XSI and got on ok with it...has anyone tried it in both XSI and MAX. Is there alot of difference?, does one stand out?

Thanks

eliwolff
06-18-2004, 05:39 PM
We use bipeds at work for most of our animations, and I think many other game companies do too.. don't know about film work though.. as for XSI, I haven't used it..

kevinw
06-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Really it comes down to your talent and dedication more than which program you use. Some programs do things better than others but if you take the time to learn the craft then the software just becomes a tool. Personally I spent years working with Character Studio but when I was offered my first real industry job, I had to switch to Maya. It took me a couple days to get use to the shortcuts and the UI but now it feels like I've been using Maya my whole life. Every company is different. Some use Max, some use Maya, Lightwave, XSI blah blah blah...
If you want to work on films, then I'd recommend Maya. That seems to be the most widely used. If you're interested in working for a particular company, find out what they use and learn that. True alot of companies do have custom tools for rigging and such but they are usually developed within one of the main packages. Most important is just that you study your ass off and really learn the art of animation. Pick a program you feel comfortable with and go with it. Good luck with whatever you do.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.