http://rowancassidy.com/b2/members/gallery/city3.jpg

ambas
06-18-2004, 03:25 AM
what that heck!!?!? thats awsome
how do you people do that??!????

what software did u use?

grandma
06-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Very the stick's field !I very like!The color is very beautiful!The sense of vision is perfect

direndra
06-18-2004, 07:40 AM
really nice work !!!"
i like the enviernment feel
jod job :applause: :thumbsup:

r3studios
06-18-2004, 09:04 AM
amazing work! realy nice atmosphere in there. its perfect.:applause:

Ra1Der
06-18-2004, 09:07 AM
looks like painter to me, I really must congratulate you on such a fine piece! Most excellent!

JARhead
06-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Lol that makes me want to call my friends up and play mech warrior agian ! Good work !

da_rock21
06-18-2004, 02:29 PM
i love chaos and destruction. not so much as love on it as thrive on it

theCloudmover
06-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Holy crap!! That's freakin' MAGNIFICENT!

I cam almost smell the charred flesh.
:bowdown:

Spritemare
06-18-2004, 02:59 PM
this is a great piece, but IMO, it is way too dark. Possibly, illuminating the points of interest could be an improvement?

cr0ss
06-18-2004, 06:40 PM
fantastic :thumbsup:
great details.
can see every stone on the ground :p
amazing work, pal. hope to see more of your works.

conceptartist
06-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Holy @&^*! This is awesome. You should post a WIP or tutorial for this. :drool:

MicroVisuals
06-19-2004, 12:52 AM
The atmosphere you have rendered is amazing, there is an eerie calmness about it. Great work!

ambas
06-19-2004, 03:08 AM
this should go on the front page

Kirt
06-19-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by tacit
this should go on the front page Yeah ... I'd love too, but it's way too dark. Looks like a lot of love went into the pic, but the points of interests are the explosions (which is about all I can make out of the pic clearly).

Needs some focused lighting and a bit more polish. This is one that hit my "I almost plugged it on the front page" list.

Everlost
06-19-2004, 04:17 AM
looks exactly how it would given the sky conditions I would say, not too dark at all, looks pretty near perfect
great job

cat33
06-19-2004, 07:54 AM
:applause: Great Job. I love the look. A lot of work was put into this painting, that's for sure!!!! Awesome! Great detail.

Keep it up!

_cat

ic2xs
06-20-2004, 10:01 PM
It would do the picture better, if you gave it more ambient moon light, or maybe some search lights on the mech to illuminate it.

rec
06-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for the positive comments and feedback.
Seems we all like a good dead city.

Apparently this one looks pretty dark.
I wanted it to be that way but.......
I painted it with a dusky light that is pretty even... I can still see everything on my display.
Im using default calibration on an Apple HD cinema display.
My photoshop settings are the standard"Macintosh RGB".
"Mac RGB" tends to have lower contrast and be brighter than "Windows RGB".
Which accounts for what Im hearing. To dark
I'll try posting a version with "Windows RGB".
I "saved for web".

Its interesting to hear how people are seeing these images.
I suppose for the sake of clarity, on the web, regardless of an individuals monitor settings, Higher key work is more "viewable".

Cheers R

R

balistic
06-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Its interesting to hear how people are seeing these images.
I suppose for the sake of clarity, on the web, regardless of an individuals monitor settings, Higher key work is more "viewable".
R
Yeah, it's frustrating. Any work you do in the bottom quarter of the luminance gamut may or may not be reproduced by someone viewing the thing on the web.

At least the background here at CGTalk is a nice dark achromatic grey . . . anybody else remember when it was red? eeeeecccchhh.

Nice piece by the way. Creates the impression of detail while staying indistinct enough that I don't get hung up on it.

chainjane
06-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Amazing !
it's very nice ^o^

illustr8r
06-28-2004, 01:09 AM
:eek:
I disagree with the comments that this is too dark. Yes, it is dark, but I think that is just the nature of the piece. I don't think that every piece of art has to have high contrast and intense luminance.

It looks great on my monitor. I can see all the subtle details and I think that's what makes this piece incredible. The explosions jump out first and then it leads your eye back into the piece to pick up on the full story behind it. It makes me want to stare at it for a while instead of wham-bam....ok I'm bored, whats next? Personally, I really enjoy a piece that doesn't shove everything in your face and you have to read into it a bit. Its like a good book. I vote for front page!

stunner
06-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Awesome work, the explosion are amazing ...

Toxic_Mind
06-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Holy sh*t!! Really extraordinary piece of work, excellent environment! :buttrock:

T_M

MrGhoste
06-29-2004, 12:56 AM
wow, I've had to change my monitor brightness, but now it looks really good, maybe you should make it brighter or paint some highlights, nice work :)

igorstshirts
06-29-2004, 02:01 AM
It looks shitty on my 1024 Sun monitor... It looks amazing on my Sony 1600... Nice work. Just do a Levels job on it in Photoshop.

HuiTian
06-29-2004, 04:44 AM
amazing work! especially the atmosphere is perfect! :applause:

phoenix
06-29-2004, 05:17 AM
very nice distribution of light... excellent work...

turx
06-29-2004, 04:32 PM
fun? you are kidding! this is amazing!!

slime
06-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Excelent work. I dont think it's that dark. It's just how it should look at dawn.
Congratulations. I think it deserves front page too :)

Shade01
06-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Just curious: I've also seen that pic (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24981) at conceptart.org and it looks different, like the absence of the mech and the cropping of the picture and other little things. Is this the same artist and which picture came first?

EricUNSL
06-30-2004, 07:05 PM
If the foreground was illuminated by a unseen explosion in the foreground it would solve alot of problems and draw more attention to the mech. Then it would really be a killer piece. Hope Rec decides to go back into it. After all this work, a few minutes of dropping in a orange glow and foreground highlights couldn't hurt. Right now there's no main focus.

Riddick
07-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Strong atmosphere!
Great lights and effects!
Good job man!

illustr8r
07-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Shade- I followed the link you posted for the conceptart.org the thread. If you read through it you can see that it is the same artist, Rowan Cassidy, and the mech was added in after the original background creation.

So, I posted earlier saying that I thought this piece was not too dark and great the way it is and that I vote for front page. I thought this was so great that I set it as my desktop image. I still stand by my earlier comments, but since I've been looking at it a lot on my desktop, I starting thinking about the "too dark" and "no point of interest" comments and thought about a possible solution.

I thought that perhaps if there was an explosion behind the mech it would add more contrast and create a more defined focal point. A good dark silhouette on a light background can sometimes really punch up a piece. I went ahead and rocked a quick 10-15 min paint-over to illustrate what I was thinking....I, uh....maybe got a little carried away..heh. It turned out more rendered than I thoguht it would in a quick paint-over. But, anyway.... Rec, I hope you don't mind, I don't want to mangle your beautiful piece. I think that it stands solid on its own, this is just a possible way to make it so you don't get so many "too dark" comments. I'm sure that you could paint it better than me, but maybe I can inspire you to take your masterpiece a little further.

Cheers

Just to make this clear:
The piece below was originally created by REC and posted on page 1 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=150011&page=1&pp=15) of this thread, all I did was a quick paint-over on his great piece to suggest the possibility of putting an explosion behind the mech. I don't want to take credit for his amazing work.....look at his masterpiece here: original post by Rec (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=150011&page=1&pp=15)
http://www.photodump.com/direct/illustr8r/city3-alter1..jpg
p.s. Rec, If you don't like having my paint-over in your thread, let me know and I'll take it off. Just wanted to present a possible option to inspire you. :D

wal_russ
07-03-2004, 12:09 AM
wow awsome work, what else can i say.

Blackhorse
07-03-2004, 02:42 PM
This is awesome! :thumbsup:

the envirment is familar with Matrix! very good visual effect!

my suggestion is about the lighting, ya know , the fire should lit large part of the image.

cheers!

Rikaro
07-04-2004, 02:21 PM
wow nice piece of work i should say
good stuff!

JakalDesign
07-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Realy awsome. Hard to believe that its 2D. Better done that most 3d artists could do. Thumbs up... great stuff

GARA
07-04-2004, 05:20 PM
amazing piece :scream:

taemee
07-04-2004, 07:06 PM
damn........ over all feel.. amazing. its telling the whole story..

best treatment of colours and specially the smoky feeling.. ahhan ahhn... :)
smashed it..

leepink
07-05-2004, 09:54 AM
very nice job.

gthompson
07-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Agian....Wow!:eek:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.