PDA

View Full Version : still: Morning Star

Supernova
06-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Hello all
Haven't post here for a while (I'm in the army now, so not much 3D time for me).
This is a renew of an old work I did, hope you like it
Please reply

http://members.lycos.co.uk/energystrike/Works/Morning%20Star2.jpg

And another versio, with some rougher bumps:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/energystrike/Works/Morning%20Star.jpg

Supernova
06-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Am... well I was hoping for at least one reply... Even if it really sucks you could tell somthing...
:cry:

Plaute
06-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Good composition, but i think the metal shadder nds mor work, is not bad at all, is just it fells a little plastic.:hmm:

Babumbol
06-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Dunno what to write about it. Looks good. Maybe a bit too clean and i think the metal is somewhat... greyish... er... i mean too much diffusion on it.

But what me makes really curious, is the image in the background. :D

Btw, you should try to tell a story with every image you make. That's what will give life to your work. :)

shade
06-18-2004, 03:36 PM
No it's nice, but I would change the background. It makes it look like a pencil or something else small. Unless you meant it to be like miniature morningstar? :)

teko2000
06-18-2004, 04:45 PM
i like the background

Waugh
06-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey.
Modeling seems alright, but the model would look sooooo much better if mapped ! (not just 'textured')
Some UVs on the spikes, balls and chains, a simple rusty metal bitmap, and there you go ! It'll lose this "brand new/never crushed anything's skull" look.
And yeah, i like the art in the background (realy!) but not as a background ;)
The background should connotate (is that english? damn i doubt it!)... anyway, the background should inspire our imagination to make us feel what's around. Like, say, a stone ground with a piece of fur on it, or some blood, a crushed helmet with a skullbone still inside...
Think of the place, is it dry or wet ? lit or dark ? does someone (or something) lives here ?
Ah yes, i almost forgot : the handle does seem very handy... The metallic part near the handle is just a counterweight, so arguments spoke with the morningstar are better understood, but i'd make it shorter and thicker, and i'd put some leather stuff, spiraled around the handle... Would allow you to add some interesting details, like lil' nails, or metal rings, or 'carvings' (don't know the word for 'carved in leather'...)
Mh... well, that's it, just grab a good environment, a very contrasted and yellow/redish tinted panoramic with a few spots of whit/blue to simulate a dark place lit with fire having windows to the outside...
Yeah right, keep up the good work !
(may we see the wire ?)

Waugh.

maitor
06-18-2004, 08:10 PM
looks nice, IMO the hand grip need to be longer. it's too small to fit for on hand. and if you make it in different material other than metal (exp: thick-black leather with some tweaking at the bottom if you will go with the leather though ) it might add a different flavour.
:thumbsup:

DrachenVFX
06-18-2004, 08:15 PM
I like the background as well. Definitely keep it, just put something else in the scene to give a sense of scale. Maybe a paintbrush and an inkwell used to create the painting. Make them smaller to show how big the morning star is.

TIMTHESORCERER
06-18-2004, 10:49 PM
that is a mace, not a mornigstar! maces have chains, morningstars are efectively clubs with a bunch of spikes on the end. u are in isreal, no suprise in u being in the army

Technicrat
06-18-2004, 11:16 PM
This (http://www.mwart.com/xq/ASP/pid.778/cat.29/qx/product.htm) site even calls it a flail, but... whatever.

I have to second what Waugh said. I would also like to see some differences in the metal for the ball, the chain and what's on the handle. Right now they look identical.

Supernova
06-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and ideas.
I will fix the handle with some leater or somthing like that and make an enviourmenrt to fit better.
Hopfully will be done before the end of the week.

Thanks guys, you really gave me some motivation!:)

TraceR
06-19-2004, 12:48 AM
For some reason, a lot of people have been making these, maybe its the new modeling phase, finally something taking over mushrooms. lol. Nice pic though. :thumbsup:

TIMTHESORCERER
06-19-2004, 01:12 AM
a flail, yes that depends on how you define it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.