PDA

View Full Version : Centurion

primativ
06-17-2004, 05:55 AM
Here is a drawing I started last night, I am unsure about my use of color. It started out as a pencil drawing, I then scanned it and painted it in photoshop.

All you painterly people let me know the deal.

Centurion (http://trolenberg.com/centurion2.jpg)

www.trolenberg.com/centurion2.jpg

primativ
06-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Man... ten days and no posts, does this piece just suck or is it in the wrong gallery? Well if it does just suck, at least explain it's suckiness, I need the info!

Rhid1en
06-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Character looks like he's floating... but I think right now, what it lacks most is a feeling of drama. Try playing around with your palet more and see if you can try adjusting your color usage to make it more dramatic. Also, try picking a real dominate light source and go for higher contrast to make the action of the character more emphasized. I think right now the background art isn't helping the image any either, the line work and coloring doesn't match the style of the character. Keep working on it, it's a good start.

primativ
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah I think the character is floating a bit, also the guy's shadow doesn't really help demonstrate a light source. I was trying for a backlit image but I can see it is not coming across as such. I am not sure how to handle the color rendering of the character to make it fit the linework, any suggested style references?

Rhid1en
06-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Okay, first, the line work; on the character you have nice varying thickness, combined with some crosshatching but none of either in the background. You said you first sketched the character then scanned it in to paint it, did you with the background too, or just paint it directly in photoshop? It's doesn't have to have the same level of detail, but at least incorporate the same feeling to the linework into it.

Now, for the light source and color scheme. If you want to go with a sunset lighting, use those dramatic colors in the sky to reflect into the tones of your character, especially in the highlights on the metal armor. Use then, real warm tones for the highlights and make them pretty dramatic to emphasize the emotion to the pict and then use dramatic cool tones into the shadows. Take advantage of those photoshop layers and have fun, experimenting!

primativ
06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm going to add more linework to the mountains and start the colors from scratch. I should have a post up tonight. The background was a big problem for me but I just couldn't put my finger on why, thanks.

primativ
06-30-2004, 04:18 AM
www.trolenberg.com/centurion3.jpg (http://www.trolenberg.com/centurion3.jpg)

I went in and added some rendering to the trees and mountains.

Usagi
06-30-2004, 02:42 PM
When you recolor the image I'd make the sky a bit less intensive and the character brighter. Because in your previous colored versions the sky drew too much attention off the dark character that was lost within the equally dark foreground.

Rhid1en
06-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Looking a lot better.. he looks unbalanced though..maybe add some ground detail to show that it is not balanced, so his position makes more sense. I'd also adjust the shadow under that left foot, it's adding to the floating, unbalanced problem.

primativ
06-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Yeah I think that if I render the ground a little better he won't look unblanced maybe a little mound under the left foot.

Deathcricket
06-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I don't know how dedicated you are to the pose, but I think that is the weakest part of the drawing. He looks like he got shot in the stomach and is flying backwards while starting to chop his knee off with his sword.

Try bending the left knee under him about 45 degrees. This will give him a better sense of balance and help with the sword digging into his leg. Have him standing more on the tip of his toes with the heel off the ground. It will also keep the agressive pose you are trying to achieve I think.

The postion of the shield bugs a little also. As I recall there are 2 straps that go down the center that his arm will slip through. so moving the shield so it sits in the center of his forearm will make it look better as well.

The postion of his sword arm looks a bit awkward. Try relaxing it just a bit and not going out at such and extreme angle. He would be extremely tired holding a sword like that before he even started a fight!

i know you asked specifically for crits on the colors, so if I'm out of line with pose options, very sorry :)

-Deathcricket-

Levitateme
07-03-2004, 11:02 AM
well, its just a guy in roman type wear. i would try and add something not done before, something to make him more original.

primativ
07-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi, I just got back from a weeks vacation so I should get back to work on this image. TRhanks to everyone for their input

Deathcricket - I think I will redraw the pose and just consider this one a design sketch.

Levitateme- good point the image lacks originality I was basicly mimicking Persius from Clash of the Titans.

Demolish
07-15-2004, 01:06 AM
I think that first picture (painted one) has a cool style.

Just would suggest you to work more with his pose related with the shield and sword, the rest is a cool style!

primativ
07-19-2004, 03:47 AM
Here is a new sketch www.trolenberg.com/centurion4.jpg (http://www.trolenberg.com/centurion4.jpg) . I am starting from scratch with this one. I want to nail the pose before I go on to the painting. Let me hear all your gripes, really I want to improve my skills so don't be nice.

Deathcricket
07-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Wow looking really good! Vast improvment over the last one, congrats man! The face, clothes, shield, right leg, sword, and helm are really good. I like the stance a lot more, has some weight to it.

I would work on the left leg, the postion doesn't seem natural for some reason, maybe too straight? The hand also seems to be sticking out of the shield a bit much, but not a pro on that. Might want to do a little research, but I think it covers the hand a bit more. And lastly, I would make his bicep just a bit more round. The way you have it is fine, but I feel it would be more developed swinging a sword all day.

Again, great improvment.....

-Deathcricket-

B-rad
07-21-2004, 06:12 AM
I showed up too late saw the first pic and saw only the problem with the shield and the stance was off a bit but the second was a big improvement but probably just cause of the detail on the shield the bird was in wrong position but second is great improvement good job

primativ
07-21-2004, 01:41 PM
I have updated the centurion sketch. I tried to fix the left leg position and I adjusted the right arm too. www.trolenberg.com/centurion4.jpg (http://www.trolenberg.com/centurion4.jpg)

Deathcricket
07-22-2004, 05:51 AM
Woohoo! Nothing to crit at this point now without being really really picky. That I can see anyways, well done!

-Deathcricket-

primativ
07-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Go on Deathcricket, you can be picky. I am trying to become an illustrator so I need harsh criticism.

I have now added a background to the image.

www.trolenberg.com/centurion5.jpg (http://www.trolenberg.com/centurion5.jpg)

[Ace]
07-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Hey primativ,

Good idea to redraw your character, you have a good sence of anatomy, the character feels solid, but the thing that stil bothers me is his pose. I encounter the same problems when I draw. It looks like he is standing in a bowl-shape in stead of solid grond. An easy and clear way to test this is assume the same pose yourself and you will quickly find out that it's hard too keep that pose, or that it doesn't feel 100% natural (although you're getting close). Taking some pictures from someone who is posing (if you have a digital cam), or better have someone posing for you for 5 mins to feel the weight and balance of the body, isn't a sin ;) Keep it up. vbmenu_register("postmenu_1460535", true);

edit : Looks much more convincing now that you added the background ;)

primativ
07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Here is the color version. I was going for a more comic book look to the image this time around. Any help on my use of color would be appreciated.

I hope to get a digital camera soon. I think you're right about the pose being somewhat unbalanced, I had to adjust the landscape to work with the pose, kind of an bass ackwards way to do it I know.

www.trolenberg.com/centurioncolor.jpg (http://www.trolenberg.com/centurioncolor.jpg)

primativ
08-18-2004, 03:43 PM
hmm...new critiques would be nice

elqui
08-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi primativ, here are my thoughts on it (I couldn't do anywhere near as good as this but since you want focused constructive critique, here what I thought):-
(this refers to the last two pics posted, 5.jpg and color.jpg)

1) Overall 1st impression was very good, you've got good clean lines, good use of dark and lighter lines

2) The colours in the coloured version are excellent for the piece, only crit is maybe the skin looks a little 'dead', maybe a little less grey or more luminesence

3) the face/smile is very distracting, this is the weakest are of the drawing IMHO, it just doesn't look like the kind of face I expect to see from someone dressed and standing like that, I feel it is out of place and thus, it distracts me from enjoying the rest of the image.

4) the sword seems to be a little too much in profile, a little too much of the egyptian wall-painting feel to it (again imho), I would have him holding the tip of the sword in behind the sheild or pointing out away from the sheild, turned more toward the viewer, at the moment he doesn't seem too sure where he's pointing the sharp end and agin this creates a quandry in my mind when looking at the piece, since I am presuming from my 1st impression that he is an experienced, strong warrior (I hope you understand what i mean here) (maybe research the stances used by classical warriors when using sword and shield - apologies if you've already done this)

5) the shield, thunic and helmet all work wonderfully for me, I think they're spot on

6) the muscle defintions also look bang on the money, can't fault those

Overall it speaks to me of a 'nearly' professional level image, it's the final 2% that needs tweaking to make it 'book quality'

summary, he needs to more certain in his 'character' when looking at the details of the picture for a while you begin to question whether he's going to hold his ground when the time comes, and I'm guessing that this isn't the feeling you hope to put across.

I hope that these thoughts have been of some small help to you, and again, overall, lovely lovely work.

primativ
08-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks for your critique elqui!

The face I was trying to create was more of a strong grimace and a sence of stoicism.

Skin tones always seem to be a challenge for me, all I can say is I am slowly learning to use more tonal variety.
The pose came straight from my head without a photo reference so it isn't grounded on any real fighting stance. I was going for the strong warrior look though.

brassgiblets
08-19-2004, 04:31 PM
I assume you mean for him to be an ancient Roman Centurion, yet his armor and weapons don't match up with most of what's known. You need to run an image search for a roman Centurion, who's armor is different than a regular Roman Leggionaire's. There are many reenactment groups who post galleries online so you will be able to find a lot. As it stands, I would think him to be an unarmored Greek warrior maybe? But not a centurion except for your title of the thead. I only mention this because the reference can be easily gotten.

The thumb should stick out on his sheild beairng hand unless its holding onto a grip, and then, his index finger wouldn't be bent closed like that but would also be gripping.

primativ
08-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Yes the centurion title is a minomer but I wasn't sure what to call him. He is pretty much based off of the "Clash of the Titans" character Persius so that would make him a greek. Aside from the historical accuracy issues does the color work and if not what can be done?

www.trolenberg.com/centurioncolor.jpg (http://www.trolenberg.com/centurioncolor.jpg)

brassgiblets
08-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Ah ok, I thought it was a character design. Well one problem I see is if you convert your image to greyscale you will find the whole piece has very similiar values even though it encompasses miles of area. Push the dark and light values more on the figure to push him out further. You are on the right track with the thicker line weight on him and the cliff(?) he's standing on. Your line work is good . Just use different color and values to push the distance even more.

nebcat
08-21-2004, 11:36 PM
The concept is good. Not great. But good is better than bad. There is a sense of action, but no drama. I seriously donít believe that this guy could ever defend himself. Also you need to tweak that helmet a tad, looks like itís squashing the nose. His face is too well lit. Where is the light coming from? Is it dawn or dusk? Add some shadowing, it brings out more drama for the scene. Add some smoke in the background to fade the mountains and a little bit around the tree. This brings more depth. Is this the first time heís been to battle? And if not, then why isnít he worn. The shield is too perfect. Is the shield a UFO or a US Quarter? The sandals are way too stylized for that time. Have the sandal straps wrap around his leg. BTW, whatís his name? Is there a story behind this picture? If so, what is it all about?

Okay, I know this may sound like Iím butchering your efforts. And in most cases I am. However, what Iíve just asked and said is nothing compared to an Art-Director in a large firm, like Image comics or even Disney. If you like doing this in your spare time, or have no desire to follow through to a carrier, then more power to you. I have been in situations when some of my concepts were literally tossed in the garbage. Small things are HUGE in the business. But remember the small details, but donít spend too much time on it or youíll lose that initial drive to carry on further.

Gosh, I hope Iím helping. In fact, go with what YOU feel is right. Never stop with one sketch of a warrior. Sketch out his whole crew! Sketch out the enemies. Never, ever stop creating. Youíll get it soon enough.

Katsushiro
08-26-2004, 06:11 PM
The only advice I have is comming from a fighter's perspective. He doesn't look ready...He looks like he's just blocking to be blocking. Is he fighting something? What is it? Also, he should be getting ready to make some kind of counter attack. Go and watch the fight scenes in "Troy" and you'll notice how everytime Achilles blocks something he's right back in attacking again, almost at the same time he's blocking. You can make it look a little better in that respect by either turning the sword outward, instead of in towards his legs...or bring his arm up like he's getting ready to stab foreward.

Either way your audience at least needs to have a clue as to what he's fighting. Other than that I think you're doing fine.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.