PDA

View Full Version : VFS animation reel

Charles Guan
06-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I've graduated recently from VFS, and would like to post my animation demo reel up for critique and viewing. Thanks!

This is a new version of the demo since my post last week, due to your comments I have submitted a brighter and clearer version. Check it out, and tell me what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Note: In order to get it to play properly, right click and "Save target as"
MAC users: In Safari, you just hold down the control key while clicking on the link and a menu opens. Click on "Save Linked File As"

Divx 5.1.1 demo (35 megs) (http://www.vfs.com/%7Echarlesg/cguan_reel.avi)

http://www.vfs.com/%7Echarlesg/crosEST00014.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/%7Echarlesg/KIDSrooom00224.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/%7Echarlesg/C-1small.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/%7Echarlesg/C-2small.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/%7Echarlesg/LOCATIONSsmall.jpg

Dr. Ira Kane
06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
would be nice to post one or two images from the reel.

db23
06-16-2004, 09:36 PM
:buttrock:

Amazing my friend.

michelleblue
06-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Awwww...
You finally post it up here!

Front Page Pleaseeee!! :bowdown:

mediumRare
06-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Tip Top Charles.
I like it a lot. Finally something that stands out from the rest in uniqueness and creativity.

Dr. Ira Kane
06-16-2004, 11:09 PM
looks i'm too late, 404 page not found, but the images looks fine :)

jimbryson
06-17-2004, 12:47 AM
:buttrock: Siiiiiiiock!!!!!!! NIce work charles...I love the crossing guard and the cop,those guys are outta control!!,,,good stuff ....:beer:

gary hsu
06-17-2004, 12:47 AM
ahhh, the lost treasure has finally made it here, heheh.........it's about time

front page please:wip:

Glam_World
06-17-2004, 02:55 AM
Wow thats soo awesome Charles! The music really fits the mood, whats the name of it?

ThE-BirD
06-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Damn Charles, this is some fine work:thumbsup: Awesome to see how those stellar drawing skillz have translated into 3d...Very cool style choice as well, kind of a cool throwback to the old Betty Boop cartoon look...
Keep it up!!

ThE-BirD
06-17-2004, 05:05 PM
damn...double post...

wbate
06-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Charles - it still looks great! I love the section where the crossing guard is trying to get across the road, wonderful timing and beautiful poses!

Great run cycle on the guard in the credits too.

I am sure the audiences at the Hiroshima 2004
International Animation Film Festival will love it! Congrats on your acceptance!

Dr. Ira Kane
06-17-2004, 11:57 PM
well, opera gives me 404 all the time, but IE downloaded it. The reel is very nice, i like it :)

mgard
06-18-2004, 12:05 AM
i've seen this animation long back ago...
Charles, you must be 3d40 or 39?
anyways nice work
good to see your work on cgtalk again...

SlugBoy
06-18-2004, 01:29 AM
That. was. cool....
The character designs are freakin' awesome. Great anim; The walk cycle on the kid is hilarious.
Best student reel I've ever seen by far. Can't wait to see what's next.

-Rich

:buttrock:

TheEdge
06-18-2004, 05:04 AM
WOW....this is awesome. Dude, give us an update when you land your job!

koity
06-18-2004, 07:10 AM
:beer: Great stuff! good work.

Heber
06-18-2004, 07:40 AM
whoa awesome stuff, i can see that you are a great 2d/3d animator , your designs are awesome as well , seems like 3d39 was the big one huh? hehe ill go and sign out the class tape now....cheers

RockmanZero
06-18-2004, 09:55 AM
WOW! Nice work Charles!

I like the style you put in your reel.

Good Luck in your future. I hope you get hired soon. :buttrock: :thumbsup: :beer:

steverage
06-18-2004, 10:29 AM
very nice stuff!! well done :buttrock:

jimbryson
06-18-2004, 03:34 PM
:buttrock: ps. frontpage

webhead
06-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Can't find the link. I have a Apple G5. Tried everything to get it to work and just get message "PAGE NOT FOUND"
Any suggestions?:shrug:

digital-bobert
06-19-2004, 05:18 AM
Yeoooow boyee! Chucky G was a big influence to me when I was in school. Glad to see you finally made it on to CGtalk.

downloading it now...

digital-bobert
06-19-2004, 05:28 AM
Ok... this is the second time I've downloaded it but can't seem to play it on my desktop or my desktop at work?!?

Anyone know whY?

...must be too insanely good.... my computer cant handle it?

xjgd4321
06-19-2004, 07:03 AM
Good workB
:bounce:

mohamad
06-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Can you say about VFS please?what you will say to anyone that want go to this School?

danielkenobi
06-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Great work man :buttrock:
I want to go to vfs too :cry: :drool: :eek:
I realy like the animation and everything but why you did it so dark?

mattmos
06-20-2004, 12:46 AM
This was a great piece, hope it lands you a decent job dude! The animation was limited to what was necessary for the story to work, simple but very effective, and the walk cycle of the kid was great! Environment detail was impressive but couldn't take it all in when watching for the first time, had to repeat :thumbsup:

webhead
06-20-2004, 05:05 PM
:bounce: Finally got to see it! I couldn't get it to download in Explorer, but had no problem in Safari. Nice style and I liked how there seemed to be this whole different kind of reality. My only crit is that I thought some of it was too dark and that was a minor distraction from the action. Good piece, though! :applause:

hyunj
06-20-2004, 06:21 PM
It has already been a year since I saw it for the last time, but it still looks outstanding! I remember how everybody in the presentation room back in VFS were awe-struck by the film's high energy and unique style, both visual and animation wise. And a huge congrats to you on your film's entering Hiroshima Animation Festival!

Jung.

Charles Guan
06-20-2004, 07:49 PM
hi web head,

I'm glad you got it to work on your G5. people have been e-mailing me saying that they were having problems with it too. I'm not sure what you did to get it to DL, but if you can post how you did it, i would love to know.
My GF has a G5 so i love mac's very much too.

P.S. yeah for some reason, when i exported the divix copy of the film from after effects, the darks got darker and the mid tones got more contrast.
I think what I'll need to do is to make another copy of it with some adjustments just for the web.

Thanks for your comments everyone, they gave me encouragement to pursue my endeavors in CG animation and create more shorts in the future. It is also very fun/fulfilling to finally show my piece in plublic, instead of locking it away.

Thanks! :)

webhead
06-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi back, Charles Guan! The way I was able to finally download the file on my G5 was by getting out of Explorer and using Apple's own browser, Safari. In Safari, you just hold down the control key while clicking on the link and a menu opens. Click on "Save Linked File As" and a new window opens. Hit the Save button and it begins download. Then, grab some popcorn (optional) and enjoy the show!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

digital-bobert
06-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey Charles! Finally got it to work on my comp... I didnt have dvix...

but anyhow, holy moly! Awesome work bro!! loving the designish

Charles Guan
06-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi all,

I've made some adjustments to the darkness of the piece.
The version I had composited was for TV colours, meaning the colours were adjusted and looked different from my original vision.

Therefore due to comments from some of you guys, I've made a new copy for CG talk. It is much lighter and brighter, and the colours are as close to the original as possible. Please feel free to download again.

Thanks!

YankyBJeans
06-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Great reel! The characters each have their own identity and move very fluidly, most of the cuts are pretty good, and the modelling was excellent.

Who is the artist that did the music? It's very groovy. I would like to find more by them.

Yanky

Berserker
06-24-2004, 05:42 PM
doOd datz sO wicked-kewl!!

Serriously, I'm glad you finally put it up for everyone to see. I'll see you around, take it easy.

Charles Guan
06-25-2004, 01:30 AM
thanks, I can't wait to work on a new one, something simple and nice.
I'll see yah at the bus stop.

Marsinfur
06-25-2004, 10:01 AM
GOOD WORK CHARLES ~~ IT WORTH ALL THE EFFORT YOU PUT IN KEEP IT MOVING
Keep AnImAtInG..~

Charles Guan
06-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Thanks,

there seems to be quite a few VFs grads here on this forum, must be graduation time. just in time for summer!

Charles Guan
06-29-2004, 06:46 PM
I just got a copy of my reel with the sound effects of the city and cars and characters. Votes on updating my post and putting the new version up?

wbate
06-30-2004, 08:47 PM
:scream: I'd like to see/hear it!

Heber
07-01-2004, 01:15 AM
i want to see it....

Charles Guan
07-01-2004, 06:31 AM
ok it looks like I got 2 people curious enough to watch street smart again with the sound effects. Good enough for me.

The Divix has been updated.
The sound FX was done by Terry a sound student at VFS.
Enjoy.
Tell me watch you think;
I have my own opinions, but lets see what the public likes.

Genesius
07-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Charles, I like the one without the FX.
The sounds used make it seem almost comedic...
When I watch it, I'm seeing things I've never seen before...
The sounds that are added I'm familiar with, but the visuals don't jive.
You need some 'next' FX sounds to suit the 'next' visual concepts.
Like, I have no idea how those vehicles will sound bouncing along the street.
Also, the music puts the audience inside the head of the main character,
who I like.

Andrew

ps I want to chill at 'The Buckness'

Charles Guan
07-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Yah I agree, it seems that the sound effects don't really match the obtuse reality of the animation. I htink if I had a chance to do all the sound efffects myself, I would have made alot of the sounds abit more unordinary. Cars will not sound like cars, definitley no vocals or naration.

I was curious to see what you would like about the FX edition. I think I will leave it out for now, and put just have the sound track playing. The first time i heard the FX, I was kinda hyped on it, just because it was so detailed. However now that I've watched and heard it a few more times, I definitley will have to make some changes not to have the FX showing in the Hiroshima film festival.

thanks for your opinion.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.