PDA

View Full Version : What do I do next?

Sully
06-16-2004, 08:14 PM
This still isnt finished yet messing with a few materials & lighting to get that sweet photorealistic look! Any suggestions on how to improve it?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Sully114/M3-Tweaksville.jpg

PC-Junkie
06-17-2004, 04:21 AM
nice car man. the head lights kinda look like theres nothing behind them, you might wanna do somthing about that.

grid_crawler
06-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Change the positions and rotation of the camera so that it looks like you have taking a picture of your car with a real camera.
The rims look plastic.The glass looks to thin.
Also looks like you need more anti-aliasing.

Oh and read the forum rules if you have not done so already.

Sully
06-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks for your comments Grid crawler I agree about the materials gonna work on them this weekend at some point, the glass material im using in this scene is just the mental ray glass material not sure why it would look thin ive given the actual mesh the right thickness I will go back and check it to make sure.
Im trying to figure out a way to get the rim material to look right ive looked at the real thing and the rims have a silver glitter finish which gives an anistrophic kind of specular ive got a few ideas how to pull it off but I wil have to see what works in this scene, im trying out a new lighting technique on this model which limits the way I use 3dmaxs materials..

Anton980
06-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Hi, very nice car. You need to put a divider on the side windows (where the door edge is), fix the IOR on the glass because it refracts way too much, at least the windshield, and maybe make sharper edges on the front air dam (the middle opening). And of course, dont forget the M3 logo on the side of the car!

And as for the presentation, I'd fix the ground shadows, the car looks like it's floating. But the model is very very nice!

Sully
06-24-2004, 01:31 AM
Heres a small update for tonight, just changed the lighting and materials slightlyhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Sully114/Turn-table-rotation0039.jpg

Anton980
06-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi Sully. Looks much better still! Are you using only HDRI for lighting? I'd put at least one light in the scene, that would improve the shadows greatly. Also, looking through the air dams, I see there is no undercarriage? And the rear view mirror.

Sully
06-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Yer im using hdr lighting, i will try adding a few lights tonight to see what sort of results I can get. The one thing ive noticed with HDR lighting that the shadow are never accurate to the image which is one of the draw backs of using this method. I still have quite a few tweaks to make with the modelling as you mentioned theres loads of things left to do I will try to make some good progress tonight and get all the obvious stuff finished...

Cheers for your comments Anton980!!

Anton980
06-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi again, Sully! With my renderings I've gotten very nice results with HDRI lighting for those soft shadows and only one direct light for the sharper shadows. If you tint the light slightly orange, it'll look very nice.

theledge
07-05-2004, 09:11 AM
the car just seems to be slightly floating above the ground, possibly the shadows are a bit to soft or they diffuse to quickly, so they arnt focused right under the wheels.

there might be a bit to much global ambient light, under the front wheel its the same tone all the way through, should progresively get darker towards the inside.

do you have refractions on the front wind screen isnt destorting the inside of the car interor very much or maybe its just the angle.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.