PDA

View Full Version : Texture displacement in Surface editor

ninjaman
06-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Hi!

Having problems with getting any results from the tab "Texture displacement" in the Surface editor.

The LW Help function says this: "Texture Displacement displaces (distorts) layers above it, similar in effect to a bump map." Fair enuff, but I can´t get it to displace anything in the Bump channel or in other channels.

I´m just testing this on a simple box with a simple black and white tiff-file as "displacer", so it´s nothing to show the forum.

Anyone got this to work?

I´m on a Mac, LW8.

Regards

Johan Grönwall

Bytehawk
06-15-2004, 04:48 PM
if you want to displace something the you need geometry. If the box is simple, try subdividing it a few times, also you need to enter an amount of displacement in that requester if memory serves well.

edit - oops - misread question, please disregard
:blush:

phreek_3d
06-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey Ninjaman,

The Texture Displacement only displaces other textures, not mesh. If you want to see what it's doing, put a Grid procedural over your tiff image. I use it to mainly further randomize the procedurals, by placing one under the other. Take it easy.

-Kris

ninjaman
06-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Thnx for the input - got it to work. :bowdown:

Thought it was some kind of bump map "booster" you could use to sculpt out more detailed bump maps. Guess I have to turn to real displacement mapping for that. Ahhhh...more work. ;-)

Johan Grönwall

Maxx
06-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Don't forget, there's the Enable Bump option on the deform tab of the object properties. Haven't had enough time in 8 to play with it to make sure that it still works, but it did in 7.5, so... :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.