PDA

View Full Version : Architecture - Kitchen Interior

alexyork
06-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi all. Been a while since I've posted some work, as I've been working at an animation studio these last 4 weeks. Now I'm back home with some time to spare, I thought I'd better get back into the swing of things and kick out a render.

This isn't my usual work, but I've never done interiors before so I thought I'd have a bash! :)

http://www.alexyork.co.uk/images/Kitchen-01.jpg

The lack of glossy reflections is a shame, but I don't know how to use them properly yet.

Setup is GI and 3 light-emitting planes. Not a great deal of post work, just a little sharpening and toning. MAX & Brazil.

As usual c&c is very welcome.

Enjoy! :)

PS. I ought to mention that this kitchen was designed by Alea and I was working from a photo for reference. (i changed quite a lot, but the design remained pretty similar).

BillSpradlin
06-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Great work. One thing that bothers me is the overly blown out white areas around the edges where the light is coming in on the left, and ont he right side of the composition. Fix those and this will be a solid piece. That much light coming in and with those highly glossy/reflective surfaces, there would be a lot more bounced light in the room, illuminating it more in the areas where it is currently dark. I'd just tone down those blown out areas and keep the dark places in the picture.

lac
06-15-2004, 01:28 AM
wow, great!!!!

I love this image!!! congratulations!!!!

Arcturus
06-15-2004, 01:47 AM
It depends what you're looking for, but i really like the lighting and texturing of this piece. It gives the whole image a sort of hand-sketched look. If you want to go for realism you'll need to change some of the surface properties but keep this one! :)

alexyork
06-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys. Very interesting comments. I had a feeling the light areas were blown out a little, but I like the end effect. You are dead right about the bounced light, though - it would reach further. I only had time to calculate 1 bounce... slow CPU :shrug:

I can see how you think it looks hand-sketched - it's a style that has cropped up in a lot of my work recently... not sure why or how yet!

Cheers!

:)

alexyork
06-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Hiyas all.

Any more c&c for me on this one? I'm thinking about doing another archi interior scene soon and would love some advice about areas I could improve on.

Ta!

StephanD
06-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Great work mothermachine

My only gripe is that it look a bit too clean,you could almost play a hockey game on that surface ;)

Have you tried rendering from a slightly rotated angle so we could see every object's dimensions,I think it would add to he picture.

Keep it up

alexyork
06-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks Stephan,

I definitely considered dirtying this up - im not a fan of the uber-clean CG look these days. But I decided it should stay clean, like a Kitchen showroom - the photo I was working from was very clean and shiny. Again, not a fan myself but that's the way it is in the photo.

I kinda like the angle of the camera - I played around with shutter sizes and stuff like that to get it as interesting as possible, but I will consider using a more interesting angle next time around.

Cheers, very useful comments.

:)

Finster
06-21-2004, 10:10 PM
I love the stylized look to it. The blown out areas don't bother me one bit. It's a trick you might do if you were actually sketching the room. Its great to see other styles other than photorealism applied to architectural renderings (my specific interest). Keep it up.

alexyork
06-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks a lot Finster, I really appreciate it.

Initially, I was going for a photorealistic approach, but during post I decided a more sketchy look was working well and kept with that instead. It's something that has cropped up in several of my recent projects actually :)

Thanks again.

PS. Welcome to CGTalk!

iainbanks
06-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey mother machine nice work there. Pretty good for your first interior. Having seen most of your previous images there is a definate unique style appearing.

|Excellet work|

alexyork
06-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks m8.

Just saw ur final renders of the city on your site. Wow is all I can say man. That bird's-eye-view map is really cool and it looks like a hell lotta fun to play too.

PS. U started working on ur final year project yet?

iainbanks
06-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks..

Emm no I havent. Are we allowed to start the work over the summer? Or is it work that is on the lowdown if you know what i mean..

I still have to think of some interesting idea that wont be as complicated as my CAT ica but better in quality. I think that any work done over the summer shoudlnt be shown immediatly to our personal tutors in september, but show progress images gradually so they think we started it in september.

Have you started yours?

alexyork
06-23-2004, 12:46 AM
do u remember that talk Doc gave us in one of the last 3dmfg pracs a few months ago? he said that the ones who do well in their FYP are the ones who prepare everything over the summer. i dont think it's a case of are we allowed to work over the summer, more that we really have to in order to do well.

im starting working on it now, yeh. just getting some ideas together and putting together stories. i'll start designing the characters, sets and light scripts and then storyboard it all.

by the end of the summer I want to have finished character designs, lighting scripts, story and storyboard. perhaps even modeling too. maybe even texturing a rigging if it's all going smoothly. that way, if I get told my idea isn't practical, then I still have a full academic year to start over and get it all done on time, and if it's approved, then I can keep showing them my old work from the summer whilst working on the actual animation. I think Doc pretty much recommended that to us that time.

nothing else to do this summer, since I finished my work at Vanguard lol.

you working over the summer? either a standard job or something CG-related?

iainbanks
06-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Dont remember that lecture. Guess i better start mine over the summer as well.

I'm going back to 3dpix for a week, next week but i dont know if they'll keep me on for the rest of the summer... if not i''ll be looking for a job elsewhere.

alexyork
06-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Awesome man congrats. Good experience. I'd love if someone offered me a job this summer, but it's not going to happen. and sure as HELL im not being a runner for no pay again.... :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.