PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Competition #8

Lekku
06-14-2004, 03:14 PM
AndyH laid out the rules so well last time, I just ganked parts of his thread from last comp. So props to him.

RULES/GUIDELINES:
Topic: Supervillains from movies or comic books. It can be an original character, but you have to provide concept art or reference images. Try to go for someone who LOOKS really menacing. If someone can look at this character for the first time, and see right away that it's evil and menacing, then you're on the right track.

The models made must be 3000 TRIANGLES or less - including their props and accessories.

Maximum texture size is 1024x1024. You can use 3 maps - Diffuse, Alpha Transparency, and Specular/Normal Map. I don't really see a reason to have a specular AND normal map, but you can use either. There's a new thread on normal maps, and nVidia has a tool for photoshop to convert from height maps, if you prefer.

SUBMISSIONS:
Same as before, a thread must be started in the appropriate forum so feedback and progress reports can be posted. As in the previous contest, multiple entries will not be allowed, so post your choice in this thread.

Your WIP thread should be named as follows:

Game Art Comp 8: (Characters name) - (Movie/Comic Title)

Example:

Game Art Comp 8: Boba Fett - Star Wars

If it is an origianl character, you should use:

Game Art Comp 8: (Character Name) - Original Work

Make sure you post in your WIP thread, so you can get feedback as you progress. Half the fun of the contest is seeing the progression!

1) Reference image/s of your selected character. As clear as you can get them, showing as much of the character as possible - especially if it is a little known character. This makes life easier for the judges.

2) 1 perspective view, 1 orthographic front view, and 1 orthographic side view screencaps of the model. They should be viewport captures of the solid wireframe view mode (or equivalent), with no texturing visible. Compile the 3 views into one image.
Make sure you use default viewport lighting and hide any items that may obscure these screencaps (bones, lights, cameras etc..)

3) Selection of perspective images showing off your character at different angles, or in different poses (if rigged). Images should be compiled into one picture, and it must be no bigger than 1024x768.

4) Show us the texture for the character.
One image showing the texture used. If you want, you can overlay the UVs on top to show them unwrapped.

5) A single posed image - Pose your model and render it with a background. Render it as you see fit, and use whatever methods you feel will portray it well. There are no limitations other than the model must be posed. If your model is not rigged, then it should be deformed into a pose. Make the image no bigger than 800x600.

DEADLINE
The contest begins as right now, and ends July 4th. That's 3 solid weeks to do your collective thing.
On July 4th, I will create a thread titled "Game Art Competition #8 Submissions" Your final images (all in the same post) should be posted in there for the judging. No one can make comments in that forum, leave that for the individual participant's threads.

JUDGING
I need Judges to volunteer - As always, the system is...

3 points for 1st place
2 points for 2nd place
1 point for 3rd place

Judges are asked to make their decision based on mesh construction, flexibility, poly density/topology, UVW mapping, and texture painting, with a strong emphasis on the credibility and likeness of the character.

Current judges are:

Lekku
CgMonkey
Dargon
Neil
Ivars
Bentllama
AndyH
Kman

PRIZE
The winner of this competition will get to choose the subject and terms of the next competition.

Thanks to Kman and AndyH for letting me run this one.

JaMo
06-14-2004, 03:31 PM
sounds good. i hope i can finish my other thing im doing now to work on this one.

AndyH
06-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Nice to see it finally starting again.
I might give this one a miss - ive got me new job to keep me busy, and my current project (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147294) to satisfy my itch for polygon based treachery.
I think that its a pretty broad spectrum - someone making The Penguin (from batman returns) may not really be judged fairly in comparison to an original design. I think you need to come up with a clear yes / no list of what can and cannot be chosen. Like, only being able to choose between comic villains, or villains from MOVIE adaptations (spawn, batman, hellboy etc).

Best of luck to all anyways!

ps - dont forget to pester bentllama for constant plugging!

Lekku
06-14-2004, 04:59 PM
I was hoping for more scary stuff, like the demon guy, from LEGEND, or a Todd MacFarlane baddie. While I totally respect the Penquin (Burgess Merideth over Danny DeVito, anyday...) I don't really think he is very menacing in his appearance. Sure, he's devious, but not really scary LOOKING.

AndyH
06-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Maybe specify that in the rules then!
"entry must be baaaaad as f**k" heheh

I agree - i thought danny devito was pretty scary in batman returns with all that black stuff running down his mouth and all his robotic penguin pals, but the original penguin was waaaay creepier - because of his extreme campness and dainty cigarrette holder!

Lekku
06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Of course, I always amalgamated him with his characters from Rocky and the Twilight Zone...

"You're a BUM! A lousy BUM!!! Mgwah gwah gwah!

LordDubu
06-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Hmmmm maybe my choice was too quickly chosen then eh?

Dude it's hot in my freakin' office... someone needs to turn on the air.

AndyH
06-14-2004, 05:35 PM
sheeeeiiiit!

Thats made my day!

I never realised that the old penguin was actually mick from rocky!! Curse that clubber lang for killing him off!!

I cant believe i didnt realise earlier!

Nice choice by the way, dubu - She's hella evil!
Hot?? in chicago?? Watching ER gave me the impression that its always snowing over there.... hmmmm......

LordDubu
06-14-2004, 05:44 PM
10 months out of the year it's hella cold. The other 2, it rains burning sulfer down from heaven, driving out hordes of 777 sized nile-virus bearing mosquitos.

Turns out some idiot turned the AC from cool to heat... it's not nearly as warm here now.

Lekku
06-14-2004, 06:31 PM
What did I miss? Who did you pick, Dubu?

LordDubu
06-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Lek, I claimed Gogo Yubari by starting a thread in the forum.

Lekku
06-14-2004, 07:10 PM
You already concepted her? Wow, that was fast!

LordDubu
06-14-2004, 07:27 PM
nah, Sayuri is an old concept of mine... I was just saying that I'm going to shoot for a Gogo that looks like Sayuri stylisticly speaking.

Lekku
06-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Ah, very good. Okay, people, let's start making claims!

SOuNDSNC
06-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Are there any specific lighting techniques or rules when showing the model?

Renderman_XSI
06-15-2004, 03:59 AM
Lekku,

ok i'll post it here. Can i create character from video games also? there is one villian in ZOE2 that would be a great subject for this contest. There isnt any 3D reference of him online, but many 2D reference.

Also does it have to be a humanoid character.. what about a robot bad guy from ZOE2?

So what do you say?

EDIT:btw a mod needs to stickly this post and bump it to the top of the forum.

bentllama
06-15-2004, 05:54 AM
I will plug this on the front page later tonight when I get home... [I am still at work spooging away on the Masterchief]

Good luck with the challenge!

Neil
06-15-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by bentllama
[I am still at work spooging away on the Masterchief]

haha. you do realize how bad that sounds for people on here who don't know what you mean ;)

AndyH
06-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Dammit, mister llama - must you always torment us with tales from your dream job?

I wanna work on halo 2 :cry:

Will there be a PC release?

Cullen
06-15-2004, 07:07 AM
I'm sure it would be fine... because creativity is good... but can we show our INTERPRITATION of that character... or a "my version" of that character and totally change styles?
Why am I asking this? I'm sure it will be a yes. Good to double check though.

Bigglzee
06-15-2004, 08:57 AM
:eek: HALO 2 OMG YOU LUCKY BASTARD!

Andy H, be my guest, *hands Andy H a baseball bat and a job sucker-upperer...er...er*:wip:

:cry: Must you torment us exactly!

Ivars
06-15-2004, 01:27 PM
The end result must have the material set up so that no lights affect the model at all. The only color and illumination on your model should come from the texture map.

Then whats the purpose of using normal-, bump- or spec map?

KMan
06-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Now that's an idea I can work with.
:thumbsup:

Dargon
06-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey everybody! Kman's BACK!! We thought the worst, feared you dead, or at least pining for the fyords...

CGmonkey
06-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Great.. Too bad I can't enter :/ I never have time :cry:

Neil
06-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Good job going AWOL on us ;)

Lekku
06-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Renderman_XSI
Lekku,

ok i'll post it here. Can i create character from video games also? there is one villian in ZOE2 that would be a great subject for this contest. There isnt any 3D reference of him online, but many 2D reference.

Also does it have to be a humanoid character.. what about a robot bad guy from ZOE2?

So what do you say?

I dunno.... it kinda spoils it if it's been modeled before... If you are changing the style, somehow, well..... post your 2d reference, so we can see it.

Lekku
06-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
Great.. Too bad I can't enter :/ I never have time :cry: I guess you'll be judging, then? I need people to voulunteer for that, so anyone who says they "don't have time," are setting themselves up for jury duty....

AndyH
06-15-2004, 07:59 PM
I dbout i'll enter, but ill judge.

LeeSalo
06-15-2004, 08:44 PM
i would like to enter, but is there any way to change the poly count to 3800 or 4000 that would be much beter. let me know.

LordDubu
06-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Is it time for the ubiquitous poly-count complaints already?

LeeSalo
06-15-2004, 10:29 PM
dude, im not complaining, just asking

Lukavi
06-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I would have liked to see a higher count myself but alrighty. It is what it is.

LordDubu
06-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Just giving you a hard time Lee :) <-- see a smiley and everything.

Neil
06-15-2004, 11:55 PM
haha, well now that LORD has said it, I don't need to ;)

Why not win it, then you can make it whatever you want next time.

Lekku
06-15-2004, 11:57 PM
I'd like to keep it fairly low, for the challenge of it, but you can use normal maps, for detail....

LordDubu
06-16-2004, 06:46 AM
Is it normally this slow for people to join the competition? There's only like 3 entries right now.

KMan
06-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Dargon
Hey everybody! Kman's BACK!! We thought the worst, feared you dead, or at least pining for the fyords...

Nah. I wasn't dead. Just got buried in a combination of schoolwork, reinstalling win2k and xp countless #'s of times, and a toothache.
That's one reason why I wasn't down for coming up with a new idea, and thus passed it on.
I'm glad too. I probably wouldn't have thought up the supervillain idea.

I was thinking more like create a hero/villain/fighter character that is based off of yourself.

Anyway, I'm down for being a judge. Might as well make some contribution to the challenge... other than my own entry, of course.

Ivars
06-16-2004, 09:01 AM
hmmm. I dont think Ill be able to do an entry for this one. Got my share of stuff to do right now. So count me in as a judge!

Im looking forward to a contest that involves character design.... maybe next time :)

Good luck to every one who enters!

wanzai
06-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by KMan
I was thinking more like create a hero/villain/fighter character that is based off of yourself.

I must say this idea sounds more interesting to me. Maybe next time :cool:

bentllama
06-16-2004, 10:42 AM
PLUGGED!

oh, and I would love to do AKUMA...but I do not think I would have the time...too much to finish for Halo 2!

I guess I will judge...

CGmonkey
06-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Lekku
I guess you'll be judging, then? I need people to voulunteer for that, so anyone who says they "don't have time," are setting themselves up for jury duty....

Count me in :thumbsup:

Dargon
06-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Im looking forward to a contest that involves character design.... maybe next time :)

Ditto, but I'll judge :)

Lekku
06-16-2004, 03:00 PM
FRONT PAGE!

Awesome! We just got off the ground, and we're getting front page props, right when we need it! Tell everybody to enter - it would be cool to turn this into an official contest!

skello
06-16-2004, 03:10 PM
whats the point of a specular or normal map if the final model has to be displayed with no lighting?...
I'm clueless when it comes to game art but i thought normal and specular maps make use of light????

tpe
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
"It can be an original character" does this not mean you can make up any character you want, if so that would count as character design? I have started on a concept but now it looks as if it HAS to be from a comic book etc...

tpe

Ivars
06-16-2004, 03:39 PM
skello: Im with you on this one.
Lekku, please explain how you want it :)

Lekku
06-16-2004, 03:57 PM
tpe ~ "It can be an original character" does this not mean you can make up any character you want, if so that would count as character design? I have started on a concept but now it looks as if it HAS to be from a comic book etc...

You can make an original bad-guy. Just post any concept art and reference you use, so we can see your process.

Lekku
06-16-2004, 04:00 PM
skello ~ whats the point of a specular or normal map if the final model has to be displayed with no lighting?...
Sorry, skello, I haven't been sleeping, much, thus rendering me retarded. Yes, you can use lights, but keep it simple. Sorry about the confusion, I cannibilized some of the previous contest rules, to get it running quickly.

Anurizm
06-16-2004, 06:08 PM
:applause: this sounds like an excellent challenge, I believe I will do Ming from the movie Flash Gordon or The guy with the skull Helmet in Willow. good luck everyone :beer:

necron99
06-16-2004, 06:14 PM
isnt 3000 polys low for todays game engines?

Lukavi
06-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by necron99

Yes. However, sometimes lower counts are chosen to make it more challenging.

necron99
06-16-2004, 06:49 PM
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/bpantano/spock.jpg

Neil
06-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Great, it gets a front page plug, and then you get worthless post from people (necron i'm looking at you)

Uh, is it implied at this point that I will judge? ;)

necron99
06-16-2004, 07:39 PM
loosen up. I just don't agree with the logic. I am working on models geared towards today's hardware - and would like to participate - thaz all..

forgive me for having an opinion.

LordDubu
06-16-2004, 07:44 PM
It's just that we go through the poly-count arguments every time there is a contest. Basically the way I see it, that's not too different than showing up for a 10K race and complaining because you'd get a better time if they let you use your motorized scooter instead of forcing you to run on foot.

Bartek|3D
06-16-2004, 08:01 PM
This is pretty cool! I'm a complete noob to modeling but it's ironic that I'm almost done my 1st low-poly character (I'm following a tutorial!)! :)

I'll probably start this challenge, but I don't know if I'll finish it due to the fact that I'm slow and I don't know how to texture yet... :surprised

But anyways, I'll use the skills that I just learned and I'll try and apply them to some sort of supervillain. My question is...it alright for me to start this and *potentially* not finish? I mean, I do need to start somewhere right? :D

Cheers,
Bartek

Dargon
06-16-2004, 08:54 PM

He's allowing Normal maps. Using that technique, you shouldn't need more than 3k for the base mesh, 4k if the character has a really complicated outline.

With Normal Maps and 3k, we're talking pretty close to the same stats that will be used on games like Unreal 3, which isn't due out for some time, and I know I am not alone in saying that even when it does come out, I'm going to need to buy a whole new computer just to play.

Really, with the stats he's given you should be able to create top end game art. With Normal maps, it's not all about the polys anymore.

tpe
06-16-2004, 09:04 PM
polycount has always depended on what the game has to do with it, RTS with 3k characters anyone?!

But thats not really the point, this is a challange, most people here have jobs and homes to go to, if we set the demands (polycount and texture usage) too high it would take a year, as it is i am sure that a lot of people are already going to be put off by the amount of work making a high poly version just to make a normal map entails, so it is probably not a good idea to raise it any more.

hanzo
06-16-2004, 09:49 PM
:beer: hehe wopy cool... looks like mech flesh will be done just in time for me to start this..

excellent :thumbsup:

KingMob
06-16-2004, 10:13 PM
This is right up my alley, sadly i stilldont have a computer at home, so I will just have to watch...unless somehow I found time between projects...but that won't happen.

I'll keep an eye on this for sure, should be cool!:beer:

Neil
06-16-2004, 11:20 PM
loosen up. I just don't agree with the logic. I am working on models geared towards today's hardware - and would like to participate - thaz all..

forgive me for having an opinion.

Well entering a competition that is new to you, and starting off with sarcasm from the start isn't smooth.

I forgive you for having an opinion, but your opinions hold greater merit when represented in an adult manner. If you working on today's hardware, then that means you've probably worked on the 'past' hardware, in whichcase, just go back and find those 'past' skills and reapply them again.

LordDubu
06-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Is there any way we can get all the non #8 posts archived? it would make it easier to concentrate on the actual participants of our little game.

Also wouldn't it be cool if going forward entering required a post to this thread with a link to your entry? That way any of us who are subscribed to the main contest thread would be notified every time a new contestant joined the fray...

just a thought.

wowbaggin
06-17-2004, 12:55 AM
I'd like to join if I may. I think I'll do Anubus, the Egyptian god of death. I figure he's probably been in a dozen movies / games but I'll try to do my own interpretation of the character.

Praetus
06-17-2004, 01:51 AM
Alright, so in the rules it mentions from movie or comic book, however someone mentioned Akuma... so does that imply that we can do game characters as well?

I'm thinking more along the lines of something from SNES games, not something that has been poly modeled from current games, if thats any help to the matter.

Renderman_XSI
06-17-2004, 03:21 AM
Akuma would be great to model, also Evil Ryu. The question is, would it be allowed?

EDIT: Akuma has been in a movie before; Street Fighter 2 the movie(animated one, not the chessy live action film). So i guess he is fair game ;) I think im gonna work on Akuma than! need to find some reference pic first.

Tripdragon
06-17-2004, 04:23 AM
ummm,,,, like 5 pages and no images , whats up ?

hanzo
06-17-2004, 04:40 AM
Youngcat, images aren't posted here... well they could be but they aren't suppose to be, people make there own threads as a sub thread under Unofficial Game Art Challenge thread.. :D

I don't mean to sound thready but this is a forum :wip:

Bartek|3D
06-17-2004, 04:42 AM
There are separate threads here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=127

;)
Bartek

Originally posted by Youngcat
ummm,,,, like 5 pages and no images , whats up ?

hanzo
06-17-2004, 04:44 AM
hehe, good job Bartek|3D, that's the link :beer:

Lekku
06-17-2004, 02:56 PM
To settle the poly argument, 3k is a good number, not too high, that is good for combining with normal maps. While Super-high poly models are probably coming in the next-gen consoles, there's a certain skill required for lower count models. If you want LOTS of characters, like with an RTS, you have to shoot even lower (Warcraft 3 character counts are in the hundreds....)

On top of all that, by some skewing of fate, I get to run this comp, so I got to choose. If you win, you can make the next count as high as you want. There's been alot of discussion on this topic in every game art comp, but keep in mind, this count is twice as high as the last competition's!

Lekku
06-18-2004, 02:16 AM
I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Austin - the MassiveBlack.com/ConceptArt.org CON. It's gonna be awesome. Everything seems to be running pretty smooth, here, but I'll try to check in, if I can find an open WiFi. I should be back Monday or Tuesday. Keep crankin', guys and gals....

max0l
06-18-2004, 07:20 PM
soo i was wondering.
Is it okay to do anime movie characters?
Or anime series..

Its almost like comics soo.. ?

Manga would be okay too right?

Hope someone can answer my question.
Tnx

KingMob
06-18-2004, 07:43 PM
If movies are ok, then yeah of course...and manga is(are?) comics...

Tho i have nothing to do with this contest thats my thoughts at least.

Lekku
06-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Yeah, sure. No prob.

~Austin is hot. We are all cooking.

asphaltcowboy
06-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to ask this earlier Lekku - what images do we have to submit for the comp? How many of each?

coshey
06-19-2004, 03:27 AM
Hi, Im new to the unofficial game art challange and i had a question.I was going to do venom but someone snagged it before i could , can i still do venom or should i change to something else?

-thank you Chad Fraser

Steyn
06-19-2004, 06:13 AM
sorry but ya gotta change, try carnage, the leaner, meaner version of venom
edit: never mind, i see carnage was already taken how about the giant plant in "little shop of horrors", or better yet Dr. Frankenfurter from "rocky horror picture show"

SOuNDSNC
06-19-2004, 06:15 AM
I'ts not that hard to model under 3000 man.

Ribking
06-20-2004, 01:24 AM
I created a thread for my entry, but it was deleted. Did I do something wrong?

Scratch that...it's there now.

FreekyMage
06-21-2004, 03:04 PM
maybe a stupid question, but do we need to rig it and make a composition or just model and texture?

edit : i'm still going to enter, but i'm on smallband now and i don't feel like uploading pics on such a slow connection

plutten
06-21-2004, 04:37 PM
maybe a stupid question, but do we need to rig it and make a composition or just model and texture?Yeah, that ties in with my question:
Oh yeah, forgot to ask this earlier Lekku - what images do we have to submit for the comp? How many of each?

Lekku
06-22-2004, 02:28 AM
Sorry about the delay - I just got back from the Massive Black thing in Austin - So badass. Anyway, as far as rigging and textures, you don't absolutely have to rig your model, but it always looks better in dynamic pose, than in standard T pose. I suppose it goes the same for textures, but I really recommend a texture and rig. But if it gets down to the wire, submit what you have, because we definitely want to see your finished piece.

As for images, I took this from AndyH's comp 7 rules. It's edited down to what applies. You'll be limited in your pic totals per post, so you might want to just link to your texture.

1) Reference image/s of your selected character. As clear as you can get them, showing as much of the character as possible - especially if it is a little known character. This makes life easier for the judges.

2) 1 perspective view, 1 orthographic front view, and 1 orthographic side view screencaps of the model. They should be viewport captures of the solid wireframe view mode (or equivalent), with no texturing visible. Compile the 3 views into one image.
Make sure you use default viewport lighting and hide any items that may obscure these screencaps (bones, lights, cameras etc..)

3) Selection of perspective images showing off your character at different angles, or in different poses (if rigged). Images should be compiled into one picture, and it must be no bigger than 1024x768.

4) Show us the texture for the character.
One image showing the texture used. If you want, you can overlay the UVs on top to show them unwrapped.

5) A single posed image - Pose your model and render it with a background. Render it as you see fit, and use whatever methods you feel will portray it well. There are no limitations other than the model must be posed. If your model is not rigged, then it should be deformed into a pose. Make the image no bigger than 800x600.

Ivars
06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Lekku:

Show us the texture for the character.
One 256 image showing the texture used. If you want, you can overlay the UVs on top to show them unwrapped.
Wouldnt it be better to show the texture in full 1024 resolution? Since that is the allowed texture size for this comp.

Lekku
06-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, sorry, I chopped up the rules from the last comp, and forgot to change the numbers. I'll fix that.

Thanks, Ivars.

Dargon
07-04-2004, 03:44 PM
DEADLINE
The contest begins as right now, and ends July 4th. That's 3 solid weeks to do your collective thing.
On July 4th, I will create a thread titled "Game Art Competition #8 Submissions" Your final images (all in the same post) should be posted in there for the judging. No one can make comments in that forum, leave that for the individual participant's threads.

Just playing the freindly neighborhood alarm bell. ;)

crimson13
07-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Just playing the freindly neighborhood alarm bell. ;) same here :sad:
I was gonna enter, but I hope the deadline gets extended till tomorrow because of this (within 30 minutes or so I will no longer be able to post before tomorrow morning).

pluckylump
07-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Are we getting a thread to post the finished stuff in? Or am I just missing it?

DougG
07-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Supposed to, I wanted to post before i left for the party... looks like ill wait till later. happy 4th everyone

Strider3030
07-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Are we getting a thread to post the finished stuff in? Or am I just missing it?
Yeah, what's the deal? When/where do we get to post our final submissions? :shrug:

hanzo
07-05-2004, 02:19 AM
I need until 12 am, 6 hours to finish my work... I'm glad we are having this delay, because I'm almost done...

:buttrock:

ElysiumGX
07-05-2004, 03:45 AM
I need until 12 am, 6 hours to finish my work... I'm glad we are having this delay, because I'm almost done...
Me too. Althought posing is going to be a problem since I don't have the software for it.

hanzo
07-05-2004, 05:00 AM
OO wow?! what software did you use to model it?..

actualy the pose isn't to bad the way it is on your character. :shrug:

the pose of jedah sucks right now.. :curious:

Lekku
07-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Okay, it's up. Sorry about the delay. Never should have made the 4th the deadline, what with all the drinking, this weekend. (It's an American thing - some sort of holiday..... ) Anyway, Who else wanted to judge? Please contact me, if you want to. I'll cap it off at ten or so....

Anyway, back to the beer.

Dargon
07-08-2004, 12:16 PM
So, whaddya guys think, while we're in the usual lull waiting for the judges to submit, and then waiting for the decision for what comp to do next, that we have another mini-comp?

I'm thinking it could be a usual thing to do, between all the comps, is have an easy-to-do, learn a bit for next time type of comp. We could cut it short when the real one starts, and do a vote for best entry. I'd keep the all in one thread idea from the last one, but perhaps a little more like the Sketch of the Day comp. If it takes off, we could do a game art of the week, or even daily game art.

Possible ideas I thought of would be:

*Model and texture a firearm with 500 triangles, and a single 256X256.
*"Skin" the model provided with a 512X512. (UVs done already)
*Model a head with 128 triangles and 128X128 texture.
*Model and texture a gate to a tomb.

Another way to take it would be topics like the Daily Sketch ones, like:

*Gatekeeper
*The last day of Pompeii

If we kept the poly counts and texture sizes really low, lower if it's charcters, slightly higher for props and environment objects, then it would be possible to finish them in an evening or 2, which should be just about perfect... :)

So... opinions?

DougG
07-08-2004, 03:37 PM
*Model and texture a gate to a tomb.

I think this sounds like alot of fun. My vote is for the gate.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.