PDA

View Full Version : Commercial rigs for maya?

cwikdahl
06-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Hello all!

I'm looking at different auto rigging solutions for maya, and I'm surprized I can't find more commercial products. In fact the only one I can think of is The Setup Machine. I know there are quite a few for 3ds max for instance. What have I missed? Can you recommend me anything?

Among the "free" ones, Final Rig looks interesting, and I will give that a closer look now.

kiaran
06-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Can you recommend me anything?

Hire a rigger. ;)

Maya's strength lies in it's ability to create beautifully customized rigs. Auto-riggers, while cool, will never replace a custom made rig.

MikeRhone
06-15-2004, 05:13 AM
Kiaran put it best.

The more auto-riggers I look over, the more I am assured that the best rigs needs to be built by riggers. Automated scripts are good to help a rigger build the basics quickly, but shouldnt be relied upon.

Besides, rigs are the easy part. Skinning/weighting is where the skill comes in.

m

M.E.L.
06-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Depends guys...

general auto riggers themselves I find to be too mainstream...being in production it is nice to fabricate your own with all the bells and whistles available at your finger tips! Working on a creature toolset right now which includes all that...animators are greedy so I want to toss them the low-res rig setup ASAP so they can get going on it and I can do all my weight painting...this is best achieved through a semi-automated process...create all your joints, setup the pose, then bam...script after script you slap it together and off it goes to the animator.

Quick and painless way...so automation does have it's uses...especially when you're smoked with about 6 characters :eek:

As for final rig...I have tested that a bit and I didn't find it all too bad...still too mainstream for me but great for someone looking to just show off their animation skills!

-shawn

nottoshabi
06-17-2004, 10:13 PM
I agree with Kiaran. Working in a production and with greedy animators I to have to pull rigs out off my ass on the fly. I only use the joint placement from the auto rigs and then from there I go with my own tools.

As for some one that wants to learn how to animate. Man please, search the web for package man, or Ik Joe and go to town. Dont even mess with anything else...:beer:

GrafOrlok
06-18-2004, 08:30 AM
I agree with the above, best rigs in maya are custom built. That IS the strength in Maya. And you can get pretty fast at it, given some practice.

There are a few Autorigs I've been using from time to time on projects when time is essential. Try Advanced Skeleton or Final Rig. They're both good. I've been using Final Rig in production, and find it very useful. But there are a bunch of limitations and bugs, and the guys who did it don't have time to update it so it is as is. However I think the time I put into getting the rig work properly for my project is almost as long as it would have taken me doing my own rig.

I've been using Character Studio in MAX on my earlier job, and there are no such thing for Maya. The simple reason for this is that Maya isn't architechtured in the same way, so it is virtually impossible to achieve the same result as CS in Maya. But Maya is more versatile and has the reliablility and the flexibility that neither MAX or CS has.
/Staffan

djx
06-21-2004, 12:54 PM
My vote goes to "Advanced Skeleton" (for human or similar biped animation). Once you are familiar with an auto-rig, it can be a real time saver.

However, its not a replacement for knowing how to do the rigging set up from scratch. In fact most of the auto-rigs I tried still require a good understanding of the underlying structure, so you know what they can and cant do.

By the way, does anybody know what happened to manu's "animan"? He just suddenly disappeared, a while ago.

liquidhalf
06-21-2004, 08:29 PM
By the way, does anybody know what happened to manu's "animan"? He just suddenly disappeared, a while ago.

My guess is he got a job and now has no time for us.

abgrafx3d
06-21-2004, 08:35 PM
liquidhalf:

Not sure - but you can still get his rig from highend3d.com

http://www.highend3d.com/files/dl.3d?group=melscripts&file_loc=aniMan_1-v1.4-.4.zip&file_id=2421

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.