View Full Version : Pixar Settles Lawsuit Against Exluna

Leonard
07-22-2002, 02:46 PM
It's all at 3D Festival...

http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=24

Leo

meloncully
07-22-2002, 02:56 PM
heh, i was just coming back from there to post the story and i see you beat me to it!! lol

gKay
07-22-2002, 03:06 PM
In a separate announcement, NVIDIA has announced the acquisition of Exluna. The acquisition is part of NVIDIA's strategy to bring cinematic quality to real-time graphics and adds core engineering competency and intellectual property to its recently announced Cg (C for Graphics) strategy.

found this very interesting. It could support a recent finger by john carmack/id software who said that "pseudo-realtime-rendering of raytracing-quality images isn't that far away...".

Why else should NVidia bother about intellectual property of a high-end rendering engine?

My Fault
07-22-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by gKay

found this very interesting. It could support a recent finger by john carmack/id software who said that "pseudo-realtime-rendering of raytracing-quality images isn't that far away...".

Why else should NVidia bother about intellectual property of a high-end rendering engine?

Actually it's already here. Expect some real big things round the end of this year involving real time raytracing and GI solutions. Anyone at last years SIGGRAPH would've caught a whiff and some of the work going on in the bowels of Intel will blow the lid off.

Grey
07-22-2002, 06:29 PM
<----hopes this helps stimulate excitement enough to bring the CG industry out of it's slump :D

here's hoping...

mustique
07-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Playing with lights in the viewports and seeing that everything updates photorealisticly in realtime! Hope we see those days soon.

3dlabs' new cards claim to accelerate raytrace rendering, nvidia allegedly bought out Exluna, some weird things at the ART side... Smells like something serious is going on in this direction. :bounce:

As for the law suit, I always wondered which people are capable enough to judge reliably on such complex technical issues. :wip:

(Studying a half century to become a judge, and another half century to become a software engineer would result in a short career)

Array
07-23-2002, 06:07 PM
i just hope nvidia continues bmrt and entropy........

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.