PDA

View Full Version : Shrek 2 is the #1 toon of "All Time"

RobertoOrtiz
06-14-2004, 04:34 AM
Quote from Toonzone:
"If estimates hold, this Monday according to Box Office Mojo, Shrek 2 will be the #1 animated film, digital or 2d, of all time. Sinking poor Nemo off the top ten list. Shrek 2 may just work it's magic all the way up to the number 5 or 6 spot, passing up great movies like The Passion, Jurrasic Park, and the LOTRs, by the end of it's run. You may be surprised at how well it is doing compared to our beloved Nemo here in the US. Maybe it's the demographics of who is seeing the movie. It will be interesting to see how Shrek 2 plays around the world, as Finding Nemo brought in over 1/2 billion in sales outside the US. Can Shrek 2 hold the top spot long? Let's not forget about The Incredibles. "

>>Link<< (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm)
-r

Shufflebutt
06-14-2004, 04:42 AM
Woooo! Congratulations DreamWorks/PDI!

-------------------

"That ain't nothin' but the Shufflebutt!"

agreenster
06-14-2004, 04:45 AM
Good for them!

I dont see why it has to be a contest between studios...just as long as studios keep making great films, who cares?

Nemo was an awesome movie, and so is Shrek 2!

Awesome times man, awesome times.

jeremybirn
06-14-2004, 05:00 AM
Congratulations to everyone at Dreamworks! Have they announced any kind of a bonus yet? ;)

-jeremy

Cararan
06-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by jeremybirn
Congratulations to everyone at Dreamworks! Have they announced any kind of a bonus yet? ;)

-jeremy

Hahahahaha. yeah right. Congratulations to Shrek 2.:applause:

SheepFactory
06-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by agreenster
Good for them!

I dont see why it has to be a contest between studios...just as long as studios keep making great films, who cares?

Well said!

:beer:

vsop
06-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by jeremybirn

-jeremy

Once it hit 75million the bonus automatically kicks in. Matter of fact they have already maxed out the bonus pool once it made over 300 million. Seems like alot of new Porches will be on flower street.

Silvermyst
06-14-2004, 11:14 AM
according to www.movies.com, Shrek 2's already made $354m in the US, which automatically places it in 9th place. One more weekend should easily bring in another 20m, putting it above Passion and Jurassic and close to ROTK.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Shrek 2 will nestle itself in nicely above SW Ep 1 taking 4th place :)

Gogo shrek 2! It comes out here on thursday, nothing's gonna stop me from seeing it.:beer:

Andreyev
06-14-2004, 11:43 AM
I will see it, certanly... But only after a few weeks.

i hope that Shrek 2 still will be present at our cinemas in Ukraine at the end of this month....:rolleyes:

Vushvush
06-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Wow... so I guess having that making off on VH1 4 times a day for a month leading up to the release was a good idea after all! :)

Xullion
06-14-2004, 01:48 PM
I can't wait to see Shrek 2!

PokeChop
06-14-2004, 06:26 PM
1 Titanic $600,788,188

2 Star Wars $460,998,007

3 E.T. $435,110,554

4 Star Wars: Episode I $431,088,301

5 Spider-Man $403,706,375

6 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $377,027,325

7 The Passion of the Christ $369,962,230

8 Jurassic Park $357,067,947

9 Shrek 2 $354,016,000

10 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers $341,786,758

PokeChop
06-14-2004, 06:28 PM
I guess it is easy bein' green...

CelticArtist
06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Pokechop, i assume those are the domestic figures, because ROTK made over a billion just by itself, but that includes international sales as well.

RockinAkin
06-14-2004, 07:10 PM
CelticArtist: Yes, those are the domestic US figures.

I dont know why they put so much emphasis on the US box office only.
IMO- the worldwide box office is much more acurate in determining the financial success of a film.

This is the real box office list I look at: http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com

Shrek 2 is currently in 92'nd place, but it's just started its overseas run... lets see how well it does.
Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up right around where nemo currently is (9'th).

Both were wonderful films - congrats to everyone who worked on them both. :thumbsup:

kiaran
06-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Congrats to all the hard working folks at Dreamworks.

We are in the golden age of digital animation. 2d animation experienced similiarly frenzied ticket sales during the Snow White, Cinderella and Bambi era. Now digital is getting it's hayday and there is no foreseeable end in sight!

Shufflebutt
06-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Man, DBZ, you sure are a negative cuss. You think DreamWorks shouldn't call Shrek 2 a success yet because it hasn't been distributed worldwide and has only made $365+ million domestically? You have some insane standards to live up to.

Nuts, I tell ya. Nuts. Or a bitter old fart.....or a nutty bitter old fart......Or jealous....or a jealous, nutty, bitter old fart.....

Ready? Relax sphincter.........now!

--------------------

"That ain't nothin' but the Shufflebutt!"

FloydBishop
06-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Congrats to everyone who was on the film.

It must be gratifying to Jeff Katzenberg on a personal level to pass the record of "The Lion King".

I hope the quality of these films combined with their box office takes encourages the production values of all CG projects to go up as a result.

The bar is getting higher all the time.

birditious
06-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Following our report yesterday on Shrek 2's hitting the "number one animated feature of all time" spot, we have the official press release from DreamWorks Pictures. On top of this achievement, Shrek 2 has seen one record set after another since it was released:

- Record-Setting 4-Day Memorial Day Weekend Gross: $95,578,365
- Largest 5-Day Wednesday Opening Ever (5/19 - 5/23): $128,983,060
- Largest Opening Weekend for an Animated Film: $108,000,000, beating Finding Nemo by over $30,000,000
- Largest Saturday Single Day Box Office Gross Ever (5/22): $44,797,042
- Largest Sunday Box Office Gross Ever (5/23): $34,900,541
- Fastest Film to $300 million: 18 Days
- Top Grossing Animated Film Ever: $346 million, reached in just 25 days!

Read what DreamWorks has to say about their smash hit film here: [More...]

DREAMWORKS’ SHREK 2 BECOMES THE
TOP-GROSSING ANIMATED FILM IN HISTORY

The first Shrek has been pushed down a notch in the top-grossing animated film rankings, going from third to fourth, but you won’t hear the big green ogre complaining. That’s because the film doing the pushing is its sequel, DreamWorks Pictures’ computer-animated comedy Shrek 2, which has become the top-grossing animated film in history (domestically) with a cumulative domestic box office gross of $346 million. The film crossed the previous record of $339.7 million on Saturday, June 12, only its 25th day in release. The announcement was made today by DreamWorks Pictures Head of Distribution Jim Tharp.

The achievement added a new record to the already multiple record-breaking run of Shrek 2, which has shattered virtually every record for an animated film - and several for any film in history - since its May 19th opening. In addition to now being the top-grossing animated film of all time, Shrek 2 now holds the records for the biggest mid-week opening day for an animated film, the largest opening weekend for an animated film, the largest five-day opening for any film, the biggest single-day Saturday gross for any film, and the biggest single-day Sunday gross for any film.

In making the announcement, Jim Tharp said, “To say that we are amazed and thrilled would be a huge understatement. We have celebrated every record, but this latest hurdle - to become the top-grossing animated film in history - is something we hardly even imagined. Everyone at DreamWorks and PDI shares in this accomplishment. We are all very, very proud of Shrek 2’s extraordinary success.”

The natural order of fairy tales is interrupted in the sequel to the Academy Award®-winning blockbuster Shrek. Shrek 2 sends Shrek, Donkey and Princess Fiona on a whirlwind of new adventures with more fairy-tale favorites to lampoon along the way. Shrek and Princess Fiona return from their honeymoon to find an invitation to visit Fiona’s parents, the King and Queen of the Kingdom of Far, Far Away. With Donkey along for the ride, the newlyweds set off. Little did Shrek and Fiona know that their marriage had foiled all of her father’s plans for her future…and his own. Now the King must enlist the help of a powerful Fairy Godmother, the handsome Prince Charming and that famed ogre killer Puss In Boots to put right his version of “happily ever after.”

Shrek 2 brings back the voices of Mike Myers as Shrek, Eddie Murphy as Donkey and Cameron Diaz as Princess Fiona. Joining the all-star voice cast are: Academy Award® winner Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins) and Oscar® nominee John Cleese (A Fish Called Wanda) as Fiona’s royal parents, Queen Lillian and King Harold; Antonio Banderas (Spy Kids) as Puss In Boots; Rupert Everett (My Best Friend’s Wedding) as Prince Charming; and Jennifer Saunders (Absolutely Fabulous) as the Fairy Godmother.

The computer-animated comedy was directed by Andrew Adamson, Kelly Asbury and Conrad Vernon, with Aron Warner, David Lipman and John H. Williams producing, and Jeffrey Katzenberg executive producing. Adamson and Joe Stillman and J. David Stem & David N. Weiss wrote the screenplay from a story by Adamson, based upon the book by William Steig.

DreamWorks SKG was formed in October 1994 by its three principal partners – Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen – to produce live-action motion pictures, animated feature films, network and cable television programming, home video entertainment, books, toys, and consumer products.

Source: DreamWorks Press Release.

Garma
06-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by PokeChop
10 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers $341,786,758

you know I once saw the making of, which comes with the dvd and while they were interviewing someone, I saw in the background an employee putting a pencil in his pocket. So that's actually $341,786,759

MJV
06-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop

It must be gratifying to Jeff Katzenberg on a personal level to pass the record of "The Lion King".

I hope the quality of these films combined with their box office takes encourages the production values of all CG projects to go up as a result.

I just want the studios to focus on making more entertaining films like Shrek and Shrek II. As long as the films are entertaining the rest will follow.

Pinoy McGee
06-14-2004, 10:19 PM
If it's true that there will be Shrek 3, Dreamworks should just ditch Shrek and focus on Donkey and Puss-In-Boots adventuring. Sure, throw in Gingerbread Man and Pinocchio.

http://img22.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/Puss.jpg

Solario
06-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Pinoy McGee
If it's true that there will be Shrek 3, Dreamworks should just ditch Shrek and focus on Donkey and Puss-In-Boots adventuring. Sure, throw in Gingerbread Man and Pinocchio.

http://img22.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/Puss.jpg

Don't know if this is for real but it was posted up on Animated-News.

Finally, a red-carpet walking Antonio Banderas tells the SMH that "his character in Shrek 2 had proved so popular that DreamWorks might even make a film based solely around Puss in Boots. 'I am going to be a cat until the day I die', he joked. 'Jeffrey Katzenberg said to me today Puss is going to have probably his own movie so we are researching for that'."

http://www.animated-news.com

agreenster
06-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by PokeChop
I guess it is easy bein' green...

More like the green is bringin' in the green....

But it aint always easy being a Green...

(oh-hort! hort! hort!) :rolleyes:

RockinAkin
06-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Shufflebutt
Man, DBZ, you sure are a negative cuss. You think DreamWorks shouldn't call Shrek 2 a success yet because it hasn't been distributed worldwide and has only made $365+ million domestically? You have some insane standards to live up to.

Nuts, I tell ya. Nuts. Or a bitter old fart.....or a nutty bitter old fart......Or jealous....or a jealous, nutty, bitter old fart.
Whoa there buddy - take it easy, maybe you should actually read my post before trying to jump at me - or anyone else on this forum - like that again... Understood?

Shrek 2 is a huge success and I loved ever minute of it.

All I meant was that I look to the Worldwide Box Office results more than I do domestic sales... it's simply more difinative.

jishjosh
06-15-2004, 12:05 AM
"Titanic" is also the greatest film ever.
EVER.
They've got box office receipts to prove it.

Slurry
06-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by jishjosh
EVER.

lol
I think that puts everything nicely into perspective.

RockinAkin
06-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Yea - just wtf is it about that film that mades it almost impossible for other films to get near box office wise? Never underestimate the power of 14 year old girl demographic I guess.

Johnlittle
06-15-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop

Great points.:beer: And in the end is what's most important.Love d the movie,fun and entertaining.:)

tevih
06-15-2004, 03:54 AM
EVER.

Yea... cuz mass appeal is what makes a film great.

Sarcastic? You decide.

Just saw Shrek 2!! AMAZING CG!! Totally blown away!! Nice story... too much drama...I laughed, yes, but I don't like sappy drama when I want to watch a comedy.

onlooker
06-15-2004, 04:11 AM
It doesn't surprise me a bit that Shrek 2 is doing so well. Moviegoers learned it was geared towards adults, as well as children with the first Shrek. This in turn is more incentive for a parent to spend a night out with the kids to see a film that they can both truely enjoy. I'm glad to see it doing so well.
Shrek is one of the few animated 3D films not done by Pixar that is actually a decent movie going experience for people that are not regularly attracted to 3D, and animation. Actually, I think Shrek has an edge in that respect over Pixar films.

I for one have yet to see the sequel. I probably should.

agreenster
06-15-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by onlooker
I for one have yet to see the sequel. I probably should.

Yeah.

Not only is it a good animated movie, but there are many belly-laughs worth your time.

(the Pinnochio scene had me absolutely crying--you guys know the one)

pogonip
06-15-2004, 05:02 AM
Wow what a shame...Shrek 2 was a snore fest and Nemo was actually very funny especially the first time I seen it ..:hmm:

Ac0rN
06-15-2004, 05:45 AM
And there we have it god dammit

haha, everyone thought it would take it long to beat out nemo but they could'nt even keep the record one year

just wait and see when it hits worldwide

haha :scream:

jishjosh
06-15-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by tevih
Yea... cuz mass appeal is what makes a film great.

Sarcastic? You decide.

Wow, you are perceptive.
Don't make me choke you.

Bigglzee
06-15-2004, 06:40 AM
I think the success of the first movie will draw many veiwers in, it just cannot be missed if you liked the first, which most did, Im going for the donkey, nothing more, nothing less.:buttrock:

mikecarry
06-15-2004, 08:24 AM
EVER.

The greatest film ever, is Robocop. Not to many films can pull off the "half man, half cop scenerio" but Robocop does an amazing job. "And besides, it has the greatest quotes of all time in, "I'd buy that for a dollar"

Pyke
06-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Shrek comes out on Friday, and ill be in line!!!

That said-im sorry guys, but you CANNOT deny the brilliance of TITANIC.
IMHO it is one of the best movies ever made, and will go down in history as a classic.

tauism
06-15-2004, 08:40 AM
damn! Titanic made almost 2 trillion dollars!

josambs
06-15-2004, 08:44 AM
OMG! can u see it?! it's in shrek's eyes: $$$

cu,

johannes

Bigglzee
06-15-2004, 09:01 AM
True dat ya.

Twas a good movie for sure.

Raymonkey
06-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Pyke

IMHO it is one of the best movies ever made, and will go down in history as a classic.

He he, "go down in history", that was a joke right? See, it sinks and...

never mind, I'm leaving now :D

rexfang
06-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Good for them....Congradurations!!

Shrek...you rocks:buttrock:

samartin
06-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Yes but this fact is only true to the US of A currently, very misleading me thinx so far, how will it fair internationally, will it then beat Nemo...

primativ
06-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mikecarry
The greatest film ever, is Robocop. Not to many films can pull off the "half man, half cop scenerio" but Robocop does an amazing job. "And besides, it has the greatest quotes of all time in, "I'd buy that for a dollar"

I agree Robocop is the best movie ever, It was 100x better than Phantom Menace, but IT only managed 45 million at the box office.

As for quotes I've always liked "DROPPIT"

AIPh Pretzel
06-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Shufflebutt
Man, DBZ, you sure are a negative cuss.

Sass alert. Another '04 has crossed the line.

AIPh Pretzel
06-15-2004, 01:22 PM
The greatest film ever, is Robocop.

Quoted for complete and unadulterated truth.

todd ten
06-15-2004, 01:30 PM
really it beats nemo? and who gives a shit ****ing faggot

swampthing
06-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Haven't seen shrek 2 yet, will probably wait for the dvd, just not the kind of movie i go to in the theatres i guess.

What boggles me the most though is how titanic ever got to be the number one movie. Still can't fathom how that piece of crap is number one.

AIPh Pretzel
06-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by todd ten
really it beats nemo? and who gives a shit ****ing faggot

Words cannot describe the LAFFO I just experienced. Thank you.

Beastie
06-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Wow seems like they made quite a bit o money off this film, maybe they can pay off the Smashmouth guys now so they dont have to use that dumb all-star song AGAIN!

jishjosh
06-15-2004, 02:10 PM
"And besides, it has the greatest quotes of all time in, "I'd buy that for a dollar"

Damn straight.
F--- Dick Jones!

Paul-Angelo
06-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by pogonip
Wow what a shame...Shrek 2 was a snore fest and Nemo was actually very funny especially the first time I seen it ..:hmm:

Heh, I had the totaly opposite reaction. I literally fell asleep when I went to go see Nemo in the theatre and laughed my ass off when I saw Shrek 2.

danimat0r
06-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Spread your demographic wide enough, make em' laugh, and you've got a hit, despite a less focused narrative than the original (or Nemo) and a vaguely hypocritical ending. :)

madyak
06-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Where does the quote in your tag line come from?

"...American education imported three major ideas from Prussia. The first that the purpose of state schooling was not intellectual training but the conditioning of children "to obedience, subordination, and collective life." Thus, memorization outranked thinking. Second, whole ideas were broken into fragmented "subjects" and school days were divided into fixed periods "so that self-motivation to learn would be muted by ceaseless interruptions." Third, the state was posited as the true parent of children."

danimat0r
06-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Where does the quote in your tag line come from?

It's from an article exploring the origins of state-run education. This prolly isn't the place to discuss it, but pm me if you want a link or something.

Anyone know how I can shrink the font in my sig?

balistic
06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by AIPh Pretzel
Words cannot describe the LAFFO I just experienced. Thank you.

gb2fyad

AIPh Pretzel
06-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by balistic
gb2fyad

GB2GBS grandma :)

NanoGator
06-15-2004, 09:07 PM

Are you kidding? Imagine what we as an audience would get if those two got into an arms race. I'd *love* to see competition between the two. The more they advance the art forward, the better our jobs will be down the road.

Kudos to Dreamworks. Though I liked Nemo better than Shrek 2, I must respect the awesome work they put into it. Good good. :thumbsup:

kmest
06-15-2004, 09:14 PM
congradulations for dreamworks:bounce: :beer:

i think that finding nemo was a better movie,in anyways.from story to animating and caracters and directing and....but shrek 2 was toooo damn funny and i just couldnt stop laughing.much more funnier than nemo :bounce: :bounce:

Flog
06-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Shrek 2 is awesome, but I think ol' web head my bust it out of the top 10 box this month.

Shrek 2 had the 2nd biggest opening next to Spiderman. I think web head may kick a few others down a notch.

Mananetwork
06-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Pyke
Shrek comes out on Friday, and ill be in line!!!

That said-im sorry guys, but you CANNOT deny the brilliance of TITANIC.

oh man, I haven't even seen the movie yet.. lol.. I remember not wanting to see it when it came out:D

mikecarry
06-15-2004, 10:19 PM
PDI or Pixar would not be able to create a digital Dick Jones. In fact, I'm not even sure if those wizards at ILM would be able to pull it off. Robocop had many effects that still hold up today, 2004.
ED-209 still looks like a multi billion dollar effect, and the part when Dick Jones falls to his death is a work of art.:surprised :blush:

peachstapler
06-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Robocop had many effects that still hold up today, 2004.

"Bitches leave!"

Neil
06-15-2004, 10:41 PM
The Beatles are the best rock group of all time!

Oh sorry, wrong argument.

mikecarry
06-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by peachstapler
"Bitches leave!"

LOL! It's the little things that made Robocop the greatest movie of all time. And lets not forget that bad guy who crashed into the toxic waste thing. Now lets see PDI come up with something like that.:eek:

JA-forreal
06-16-2004, 12:01 AM
This is great news. From my standpoint I like to see companies reuse their 3d content over and over on remakes like this. I wonder how much mileage they will get out of the Shrek rigs before this gig is up.

Joe_H
06-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Color me surprised. I've never been all that impressed with either Shrek. Aside from a few really good jokes here and there, I considere their story and characters very average. Oh well.

MarkusM
06-16-2004, 06:24 AM
So we got Shrek2 t-shirts at work today. On the back in said "#1 animated movie ever" (or something of that sort, it's in my closet somewhere). I guess we're supposed to wear them... hm... to SIGGRAPH maybe!?

You'd be surprised how much our propriatery software develops over the years, therefor the assets on the show needs to be updated for new shows. It's to allow for more creative capability. So how much re-use. Quite a bit. Mostly I think the benfit is creatively working with a "look" that is known. A new movie goes through a rough patch in the beginning where the look needs to be defined and made achieveable. Witha sequel you are in a known universe. It has its own challanges, but it's certainly less exploratory.

Bigglzee
06-16-2004, 06:53 AM
HAHA Shrek Tshirts, what a blast, they may be getting a little cocky by saying that though...

chonies
06-16-2004, 07:51 AM
What program was used to make Shrek, Renderman?

Martijn Wijmer
06-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Don't want to burst a bubble here, but they're looking at how much bling-bling these movies make. Ever heared of inflation? I wonder how much visitors have seen these movies, that would make a slightly different top-10 i guess.

Eridan
06-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Good for them!

That's GREAT speaking! :buttrock:

MarkusM
06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
The pipeline at PDI/Dreamworks is propriatery. Shrek2 used the inhouse pipeline (scene data, animation package, ...) and renderer. There are some things, mainly modeling and fx animation (particles, ...), that are done in 3rd party packages (mainly Maya). But the data all gets transformed to the propriatery format in the pipe.

You don't think people already thought of the inflation factor - there is an adjusted list for box office:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted/

kmest
06-16-2004, 08:15 PM
just imagin if POPOYE (THE SAILOR MAN)had to make shrek2 for PDi,and the night befor the dead line,BLUTO(the fat bad guy)came and SHIFT+DELETE the whole movie.what software would popoye use to make the hole movie;modeling,animating,rendering,compositing,music,edit,soudteffects.....FOR JUST ONE NIGHT?

kmest
06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
THE ANSWER:
a copple of spinach ,kicking bluto to moon,opening a notepad and writting the whole movie in it.and then rename the .txt to .avi :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.