PDA

View Full Version : We need more blender users here

TraceR
06-14-2004, 12:40 AM
We need to get some more blender users here. If you know anyone who uses it, try to get them to sign up. Im trying to get some my friends to join to. Maybe I can get the word out @ elysiun or something. Got a ton of blender users there.

Well, if u have any more ideas just post 'em. :buttrock:

gabio
06-14-2004, 02:18 AM
Hi, I'm always there. I visite cgtalk as often as elysiun. Alsmost always at the same time too.
The fact is, The english blender community is @ elysiun. And anyway pp at cgtalk is kind of alergic to blender traffic. Some post, it ok, but too much and Flame war often start. I for myself just visit for artwork, for lost blender user, and for CGnews.

TraceR
06-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Yea i think I see waht u mean. But i think if we can get some people posting some of the best art on elysiun, peolpe will start to notice. But whatever, at least we a HAVE a forum. :hmm:

keitai
06-14-2004, 08:21 PM
just to let you know i am reading along. got to say i use elysiun.com the most.

As a newbie i like watching the WIP and finished work here on cgtalk. The general texturing and modelling forums are good as well.

Lourdelle
06-24-2004, 02:49 PM
I just this that the poblem on elysiun is :
People on elysiun post wip but not professionnal and not very complete (when they are finished). I mean that textures and lights are not very worked ...

I will trying to make that french blender users come here (i will be difficult ..)
(Sorry for my english)

Zenitor
06-24-2004, 04:39 PM
lurking as always :)

TraceR
06-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey Zen. :scream:

bbirras
06-24-2004, 06:43 PM
well at least we do not see that many questions like
"how do I skrew" :p or "what is python"

Apollux
06-24-2004, 08:50 PM
well at least we do not see that many questions like
"how do I skrew" :p or "what is python"

LOL, I had never come across of such basic question. Thanks God for that !!!

However, I have a collection of ¨How to put a background picture?¨ questions :D

bbirras
06-25-2004, 09:20 AM
background picture? :shrug:

since when is that possible?

---------------------------
well I don´t want to take the piss, but sometimes it´s a little xz?%@.
I mean we all started once and I´m far from being a "know it all", and yes sometimes we all have questions, and that what a forum is there for, isn´t it?! But I do remamber about at least 50 questions in different forums on how to set the python-path for example and other repeated real (exuse me) dummass-questions :) ....search function seems to be chineese for some...
(well the search engine at blender.org is "a little" weak, and at elysiun...."unstable" would be the right word ;) , but most basic functions are covered with loads of threads

Lourdelle
06-25-2004, 11:47 AM
However, I have a collection of ¨How to put a background picture?¨ questions :D
oohh since 2.3 yes and its more than before yes
but there also :

where i can find doc about yafray
what is AO

TraceR
06-25-2004, 01:06 PM
I know this is really an elysiun blender general Q but since im here, how do u convert a Curve to a Mesh? I got it once but I forgot it. :sad:

Thanks a lot,

TraceR

bbirras
06-25-2004, 01:32 PM
what is a curve?

Lourdelle
06-25-2004, 02:04 PM
I know this is really an elysiun blender general Q but since im here, how do u convert a Curve to a Mesh? I got it once but I forgot it. :sad:

Thanks a lot,

TraceR
Alt + c

it's like text to curve and also subsurf to mesh :)

TraceR
06-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh ok, thanks a lot. :buttrock:

bbirras
06-26-2004, 04:13 AM
oh sorry man , I thought you where kidding :hmm:

BgDM
06-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I've been here for a while now.

I actually like the responses I get here better then over at elysiun, even if they are few and far between, they are more critical and to the point. I get a real feeling of belonging to an actual group of artists here.

BgDM

Apollux
06-29-2004, 04:52 PM
You know what would be awesome? If we could get @ndy to hang out around this forum... just imagine how ¨deep-n-to-the-point¨ his answers would be !!! :)

gr8hamster
07-12-2004, 04:43 AM
?! No... "we should get Gr8Hamster over here cause he da man".... :p fine... I'll just crash this thread then! LoL

But yea, me thinks we should get the ppl that do the good work, to post their stuff over here after everyone says it's good work.
We should make them the "unofficial spokepeople" of blender.. LoL
be all... post that over at cgtalk dude. and they do... and BAM!! we convert another maya user or something! LoL

Apollux
07-13-2004, 03:20 PM
You know what would be awesome? If we could get @ndy to hang out around this forum... just imagine how ¨deep-n-to-the-point¨ his answers would be !!! :)
I just found out that @ndy is actually posting on this forum. Look the "rendering help" for an example.

:bounce:

BTW, welcome gr8hamster !!

Samo
07-29-2004, 10:38 AM
hi

my name is Álvaro, I'm from Spain. AKA Inmigrante at Nicodigital.

I was used to visit CGTalk to read articles. Finally I decided to register. I'm specialized in Architectural CG and CAD tools.

Sorvan
07-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Hello, I'm Sorvan, from France.
I'm a very beginner with Blender, I used to work with Cinema 4D (since 6 month) but I recently discovered Blender (2 weeks ago :)) and I'm doing some tests actualy (I'm modeling my first car).
So, maybe I won't be able to help a lot of people and I'm not a professional but I'm going to be in this forum as much as I can.

:cool:

Apollux
07-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Alvarus & Sorvan, wellcome to the Blender Embassy at CGTalk :thumbsup:

(That is how some of the developers call this forum when we are joking at #blendercoders)

bigbad
07-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Alright. Last 1.5 months Ive been scrolling elysiun forums and dicovered some very cool stuff with blender. Fact is that blender is a great program. Unlike maya and max its so much faster. It doesnt crash. Well, I love it.

Right now I have this phonemodem internet. So I cant surf all day and get into blender.

Anyways, blender rocks.
:buttrock:

FreakyDude
08-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Hi there, I am a Max addict, but blender seems to be very good as well. Heard about it for the first time about 2 or maybe even 3 years ago. Tried an ealry version at the time, and i din't have any experience. Been hearing more and more about blender so I thought i might give it atry again. And boy does it look good. A lot of things that seemed greek to me back then look like i will get to use pretty well if i spend about a week studying it very well.(not that I have even a few hours, but i'll get there)

Which brings me right to my first blender related question:

In 3dmax, when you rotate in perspective view, the camera(not the blender numpad0 camera, but the numpad5 perspective camera) does not tilt, or rotate around the axis that goes the same direction as the camera is facing. This way, the grid sort of always remains straight in the same place. I like this option in Max very much. Can i emulate it in blender?

Apollux
08-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Which brings me right to my first blender related question:

In 3dmax, when you rotate in perspective view, the camera(not the blender numpad0 camera, but the numpad5 perspective camera) does not tilt, or rotate around the axis that goes the same direction as the camera is facing. This way, the grid sort of always remains straight in the same place. I like this option in Max very much. Can i emulate it in blender?
Welcome aboard !

Honestly, I did not understand your question, but here it goes anyways.

CASE A.- So, your viewport is rotating around the object, but the grid remains still? Then your viewport isn't rotating but the object is. Just press R and rotate the object.

CASE B- Your viewport is rotating, and so are the gridlines, but they are not tilting freely? Then use the NUMPAD 4 & 6 to achieve that (Make sure that auto-perpective is turned off).

CASE C.- In the view preference panel, there are quite a few options for camera rotation and zooming, try them. There most be one combination that is at least close to the one you want.

Anyways, there isn't an easy way to rotate the CAMERA view without rotating the camera itself, but once you get a little more confident with Blender you will find that if you apply movements constraints to the camere, basically you can built your own camera crane and motion control :)

FreakyDude
08-20-2004, 06:10 PM
No that's not what i mean. I tried the view properties as well, didn't have the options I needed.

Suppose you stand (or hover) on (or above) a platform and you're looking at an object. If you go around the object and don't change the position of your head, the platform(grid) will still be horizontal. If you go up or down and continu to look at the object, the platform will still appear horizontal to your view. In max, the platform(grid) will still remain horizontal if you combine moving around and up and down around the object.

Blender does not do this. Instead it also rotates the head, thus your eyes now give you a view where the platform no longer is horizontal, but rotated to a certain degree. The camera automatically rotates along its local axis as well. (this is possible in 3dmax aswell, but only through another navigation button/hotkey.cinema also works this way)

I don't want that. I want the 3dmax way, and it should be possible in blender because i have been hearing so many great things about how open and adjustable this program is.

If anybody knows the answer please tell me. or tell me where i might find the answer. If you still don't know what I am talking about, you could always try the trail of 3dmax. Not to go away from blender, but to get a taste of another app aswell.

Apollux
08-21-2004, 12:53 AM
OK, now that I understand the question, here is your answer.

Blender doesn't have that viewport mode built-in, but it is quite easy to create.

Select your camera and clear it's rotation (Alt-R)
Now with the camera still selected, hold down shitf and select the object.
Press Ctrl-T. Choose any one of the two options, for your case they will work equally well.

You just told the camera to allways track the object, but the Z axis of the camera will allways point upward, so no matter how or where you put your camera, the gridlines will allways looks straight and leveled.

The only drawback is that you will need to manually re-locate the camera each time you want to change the point of view. It will be like this:

* You are in camera view port
Press 7 to go into top-view port, grad the camera to the new position.
* Press Numpad0, you are now back into camera view port.

Hope it helps :)

Another way to re-position the camera is using the fly-by camera mode, read more about it on the sticky thread up there in this same forum.

FreakyDude
08-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Thank you, one step closer to the solution again. I tried what you suggested and it worked.

The drawback ow manually relocating the camera from another view is what makes it all useless nonetheless. I want the perspective view to behave like the camera view the way i just set it up. Butthen with movement. So everytime I want to change the view a bit, i do not have to manually reset the camera in another view. Have any of you tried another 3d app? I believe both 3dmax, cinema and maya use this way of moving the view in perspective mode.(grid stays horizontal)

Cause the way the camera view works now, it is only usefull for one view...

Pardon, just tried something else. YOU CAN rotate around an object with the camera the way max uses the perspective view using the constraint option. But you have to select the camera in order to rotate it. Which is not very usefull if you want to make quick edits to your geometry. going in and out of edit mode all the time.
You can actually create the same kind of viewport in max. Just create a camera with a target and make the target the child of the geometry. It works, but is just not the way.

And in blender, the camera rotates to slowly around the object to actually be usefull. I need the same speed the normal perspective mode works with. Problem is, the normal perspective mode in blender has the grid aligning problem. (problem to me at least)

You people seem to know what I like my navigation to be. I still think it should be easy to tweak this into blender. And after all the more popular you want blender to be, the more open it has to be, can anybody please help me to get this viewport navigation working.
I am always willing to help people with their 3dmax or blender(if i get better with it) related problems. But know it is your turn :D to help me out a little bit. Thank you guys in advance.

brkn
08-22-2004, 02:37 AM
You people seem to know what I like my navigation to be. I still think it should be easy to tweak this into blender. And after all the more popular you want blender to be, the more open it has to be, can anybody please help me to get this viewport navigation working.

Yes this is something that many people have been asking for. The 'Turntable' view rotation method used to work a bit like this (though it slowly became non-horizontal the more you used it), but for some reason it was changed to become even less turn-table like. I can only hope that with more people posting requests on blender.org, someone will find a way to implement this properly.

FreakyDude
08-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Heheeeej!! This turntable option doesn't do just what i said, but it works alot better allready. While we're at it, can the navigation keys also be altered? right now with mmb you rotate view, with shift mmb you pan view.
You can change this to:
mmb=pan view
shift mmb=rotate view.
The way max does it:
mmb=pan view.
alt mmb = rotate view.

So basically I want to use the alt key to rotate/pan instead of the shift key. Or would this mess up certain existing shortcuts?

So stupid i didn't notice turntable. Well actually i DID notice it, just didn't try it enough to see the difference between trackball method.
Thanks dude, still not what I (and as i fortunately see, many others) want. But this is allready a great improvement in the navigation.
Still I hope they implement the 3dmax view way.

I have just checked the forums at blender.org. There is a lot of great stuff that is being worked on. Still several/many of these things are allready in max.
Are there any character animation setup plugs/ ways, such as CAT for 3dmax available for blender by the way?

Apollux
08-22-2004, 04:59 PM
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Python_Scripts.3.0.html

FreakyDude
08-22-2004, 11:25 PM
I must confess, I haven't read much beyond the introduction to the gui, and I've been experimenting a bit from there.

Right now, I notice only one kind of edit mode. you can edit faces, edges, planes and elements etc, but only by selecting all the vertices that belong to the planes, edges etc.

Is there no polygon/faces and edges and element sublevel? If not, they should add it (again max as reference) would greatly enhance workflow and the possible toolopions. Or the ease of using them.

For instance: you press tab to go into edit mode, by default you go to vertex (or the sublevel you were most recently in), then select from a menu or (cycle through a hotkey) the different sublevels. a mesh in max has the following sublevels: vertex, edges, faces, polygons, elements.

What do you guys think of this idea? or does it allready exist in blender and have i simply not searched enough for it?

FreakyDude
08-22-2004, 11:27 PM
What the ****?! this was supposed to be a new thread! Guess i pushed the wrong button.

bbirras
08-23-2004, 07:08 AM
hi freakyude
You approach learning blender the wrong way! I did the same mistake by comparing blender with maya (I try to learn maya a bit right now) blender is not max, it might lack of some functions, but it is all kept fairly simple for a fast and easy workflow. Just forget what you where doing in max for a while and just use the blender functions in order to achieve the same goals. In Blender there are so many workarounds to get really strait forward to the final render. Don´t try to impose a max way of doing things to blender.. :its different .
As for modelling: you should try wings, as it is a box-modeler and so much faster, but that?s a question of taste?. Some prefer box-modeling others poly by poly. But wings has most of the edit functions you asked for.

Just go through the resource thread and you will find a great number of tuts to learn how its done the blender way(there are so many). Leave max out of it. Funny I say this, because I do the same when I open maya and think: but in blender I can do this and that so much faster and easier.. I wasted some time with working the blender way, while there is a maya way of doing things (always a bit more complicated, requires twice the amount of steps to get there!).
Just do it the blender way in blender!
Read the online docs for any function you are interested in and go for it

I know that this does not help a lot at first climpse, but when you think about it in a couple of month you ll think: damn, birras was right!

btw: have a cold beer before you fire up blender

Zenitor
08-24-2004, 03:55 PM
vertex select RMB
edge select ..RMB+alt+ctrl
multiply RMB+alt+ctrll+SHIFT
and the "B" box select/"BB"circle( press b twice and hold down RMB and wave it around :) )
and alt-B vertex-loop select

a work around face select
TAB into object mode "F" RMB on desired face, holding shift for multiply

### in the edit panel try "draw egdes" and "draw faces" ##### especially in Face mode.
there is a proper face select in the tuhopuu version,

FunkyFool
08-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Alt + bb, face loop select http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Giangmatric
08-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Hello, I am also a Blender user. I just start it about 3 week ago!

Four Mad Men
09-04-2004, 05:26 AM
As am I for the past 14 months.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=159918

ircstony
09-11-2004, 05:26 AM
vertex select RMB
edge select ..RMB+alt+ctrl
multiply RMB+alt+ctrll+SHIFT

I wish I new that trick it would have saved me a lot of time :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.