PDA

View Full Version : Animation : Prince of Persia 2 Trailer...

Raphael-Lacoste
06-12-2004, 07:25 PM
The trailer is online!

we had a short time for the Production of this 1.20 min. trailer, about 2 month,
It is one of the first Production of our New Cinematic Team, we are trying to rise again the Quality for the Game cinematics.

we wanted to present the new prince, Darker, More mature, and also... more violent :)

we used a Mid-rez look for the characters, they had to be very close to the ingame designs,

hope you'll like it!

Download Trailer (ftp://ftp.ubi.com/emea/pop2/videos/POP2_E3_trailer.zip)

PS: don't hesitate to rise brightness on your screens, seems like ubi have put a very contrasted version on their ftp...:rolleyes:

atenyotkin
06-12-2004, 07:47 PM
:thumbsup:

Excellent Trailer! I can't wait for this game to come out! I bought Sands of Time first day it was out, and I'm still playing it! Awesome visuals, combat, and story. Not sure where the story begins and ends for Prince of Persia 2, but I hope there will be a Prince of Persia 3 as well. I've been a fan of this series ever since the first one came out (the 2D version one that is.)

:buttrock:

the_podman
06-12-2004, 11:11 PM
As Cartman would say, "Kick ass".
Been a prince of persia fan since the ol' PC original. Played every price game ever, even the crappy POP 3D.
Sands of Time was the best one yet!! And part 2 has bosses! What could be better? I'm counting down the days.

the_podman
My Wacky Knight (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147967)

My animation (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141895)

DenkoM
06-13-2004, 12:09 AM
I think that music is too slowly and inexpresive for such fast camera :( :hmm:

Raphael-Lacoste
06-13-2004, 03:29 AM
here are some screenshots for slow modems :)

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/boat.jpg

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/hall1.jpg

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/hall2.jpg

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/hall32.jpg

Raphael-Lacoste
06-13-2004, 03:29 AM
http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/warp.jpg

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/smoke1.jpg

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/trailer_turn.jpg

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/CGforum/prince.jpg

Andymdk
06-13-2004, 09:17 AM
hey cool.Loved the first.Now just what will you be puling off with Xbox 2?But this will old us over til then.Cool and tasty.:thumbsup:

Skjoldbroder
06-13-2004, 09:46 AM
raphael: looks sweet, man. as did the first game, i enjoyed it a lot! POP is the only game i've finished in 2004 so far, i think =)

Dias
06-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Very very very nice. :)

Can you tell me what software have you used?

koroko
06-13-2004, 11:15 AM
luved the graphics on the first POP, really amazing environment, kudos to you el rafo if you have anything to do with it ;)

downloading it!

:)

Dias
06-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Ehm, I have another question. :blush:

In this trailer you have used in-game model? :)

FLOw
06-13-2004, 02:49 PM
wonderful..of course..
if the gameplay is the same as in sands of time, then you can probably do any stupid monster you can think of, and the game will still rock (the giant..thing..for example) :)

just dont make me cry like I did in sands of time, at the end there...:cry:

Raphael-Lacoste
06-13-2004, 03:10 PM
hi all :)

thanks for your feedback,
I was Art director on the 1st Pop sands of time, but now, I'm not working for the ingame, I 'm now in the cinematic studio :p
But I can tell you that there will be boss and graphics will be amazing!

the Game will be released for Ps2 / Xbox / PC /GC.

I agreee with the comments on the music, it is not strong enough for this kind of montage...

Dias: We used XSI for the trailer, and Ingame models were remodeled and adapted mid rez with a special rig in XSI, we used also ingame textures that we upgrated a bit...

cheers :beer:

raf.

Dias
06-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the answer. :)

mttjss
06-13-2004, 03:45 PM
very cool trailer.
never been a huge fan of the prince of persia series but I did enjoy them somewhat.
The characters still have that gaming feel to them, but all was good.
The only one I didnt like was when he throws the blade at the last dude. He just sort of falls over.
other than that..good job!

remember the game Flashback for the Sega Genesis and Out of this World..damn..memories!!!

gent_k
06-13-2004, 03:52 PM
My ISP disabled FTP acces. :cry:

But the stills look great. The lighting is really amazing.

CGmonkey
06-13-2004, 04:19 PM
The first fight wasn't very well cut, you didn't understand what was going on in some shots. It improved though and it was really great in the end. Great stuff!

VirtualFM
06-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by atenyotkin

Excellent Trailer! I can't wait for this game to come out! I bought Sands of Time first day it was out, and I'm still playing it! Awesome visuals, combat, and story. Not sure where the story begins and ends for Prince of Persia 2, but I hope there will be a Prince of Persia 3 as well. I've been a fan of this series ever since the first one came out (the 2D version one that is.)

:buttrock:

I agree with you except with 2 things:

1 - How can you still be palying it? It's awesome, but after we finish it there is not much fun redoing all this stuff unless when you want to show it to some friends!

2 - Fan of the series yes, but *all* of them?! Come on! Don't tell me you enjoyed anything of PoP 3D! That is the most incredibly infuriating and frustrating game I ever tried to play!

As of PoP: Sands of Time, I finished it in less than a week. It was really addictive and I couldn't stop playing it. Oh yeah, and I didn' know how to perform ertain moves with the time-thingy until the end, and I didn't even know how to block until the big last battle!!! I don't know how the heck I did get there in such conditions!!! :-P I hadn't play a game so addictive since 'Heart of Darkness', from 1998.

b.Schulz
06-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Cool! Can't wait for the game to come out. I bought the last one and liked it a lot. Good Job on the trailer....for only having 2 months to do it. ;)

kaleith
06-13-2004, 04:47 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: pop3 :cry:
I just didnt have time to start pop2 and now they are making the 3rd of it .....

Bentagon
06-13-2004, 05:06 PM
wow, fantastic work! I disagree about the music, I think it really fits... it gives that certain atmosphere that SoT had in battle scenes, only this time, it's darker.

one thing, though, but it's more about the game then it is about the movie...: will there still be a dagger of time?? Because I can't imagine the game being as good as the first (well, actually fourth) one without it. Looking at that movie, it could be intigrated in the plot, but it'd be kind of strange, since he gave it away at the end of SoT. Then again, there is more then one way to get around that...

are you allowed to tell us something about this? (haven't read any previews yet - don't even know if there are some already)

- Bentagon

Dias
06-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by kaleith
:cry: :cry: :cry: pop3 :cry:
I just didnt have time to start pop2 and now they are making the 3rd of it .....

Ehm, this is POP2. ;)

xjgd4321
06-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Very nice work,The atmosphere is very good

PhilOsirus
06-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Looks great! I like the new look, it is well expressed in the trailer. I'm hoping there will be more effects based on time distortions, I always thought it would be cool if there were no coincidential poles and stairs that just poped out of no where to help you cross a gap when a switch could simply rewind-time as you see the crumbled bridge return to its original shape, or something like that. In the trailer you see an environment that seems to forward in time, so maybe it's a good indicator!:)

DimitrisLiatsos
06-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Amazing work...u guys at Ubisoft are really kicking a**s.

I am ready ...where is my POP 2 for pc...when ? :bounce:

:bounce: :bounce: :thumbsup:

gaggle
06-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Terrific game that Sands of Time.

The trailer looks really good. Nice rendering and lighting. I think the character animation lags a bit behind, especially in the first half as another poster mentions. But I guess that's what happens with a limited deadline eh. The waterwakes at the very beginning are a little suspicious as well. But nothing that destroys the atmosphere of the trailer though.

Looking forward to PoP2. More of what made SoT good sounds brilliant, it should be hard to mess up :). I wonder how or if they'll work the timedagger into the picture.. the whole thing got somewhat solved back in SoT, so.. I guess we'll see.

Grayson
06-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Not bad at all.

Some of the camera cuts were just about 5-10 frames too fast IMHO. And in a few shots the holds on the sword hits could have been just a few frames longer to increase the strength and drama of it. (just my $0.02) :)

And a quick question about the animators on on the cinema team. Is their background from in game animation or feature films? (I'm going guess in game) ;)

Renzsu
06-13-2004, 08:03 PM
I am loving the new look, much less fairy tale and much more realistic.. well ok, maybe not realistic, but more fun :D
I still have to finish the first POP SOT, but I kinda feel guilty playing games at the moment with so much stuff to take care off..

olijosman
06-13-2004, 09:19 PM
I played sands of time and want to play this one.Looks great!:applause:

speveo
06-13-2004, 10:19 PM
The animation feels jerky and rushed at points, but pretty good overall, especially for a 2 month deadline.

I am really looking forward to this game. The bosses look fantastic!

Cheers

Steve

kaiten
06-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi

Impressive work. I was wondering how you created the swelling storm clouds in the Sea sequence. Have you used Particles or a skygenerator plugin?

chrisWhite
06-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Awesome trailer, this looks like it's going to be a great game. :buttrock:

Dennik
06-14-2004, 01:34 AM
Looking great man. Realy sweet animation you got there, and i love the look of the new more mature character. Although i'm confused with the numbers. Wasn't this supposed to be PoP 4 or 5?

Raphael-Lacoste
06-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Hi dennik,

Pop4 was PoP sands of time, and the next one is for now pop2 for mkt, but maybe it will have soon a brand new name :)

joshscherr
06-14-2004, 03:45 AM
Really nice work!

I was given a nice demo by one of your producers at E3 - I'm really looking forward to the sequel! Animation-wise, I especially liked his new wall-running-while-grabbing-a-rope move and the combat improvements.

Good luck!

oxyg3n
06-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Oh that trailer looks nice. I still have not played the other games, but I hear that they are pretty good.

Grubwyrm
06-14-2004, 04:48 AM
Well Rafo....

It looks great. Being a fan of the first game, I'm glad to see this will be more combat-oriented... or at least that's what I hear.

The trailer looks nice. Looks like the Prince has grown up a bit, and hopefully won't whine as much! My only critique would be when the prince's buddy on the ship gets stabbed in the back.... the look on the Prince's face.... something is not right about it. It's a quick lower-lip-pucker-to-the-bottom-left, and he looks.... handicapped.... his eyes shift to the upper left as well, as if he thinks to himself "what now?..hmmm?"

Of course, this could be intended, and it's quite nit-picky. Other than that, top notch. The big golem-knight thing is a nice touch.... one really gets a sense of how enormous & powerful it is. GREAT job on that! Can't wait to see more!:buttrock:

lord_vynos
06-14-2004, 05:15 AM
Bonjour,

I just had a little critic about this trailer. The style, the characters design and everything about it seems top-notch, but the animations don't feel all that good to me. What I mean is that in the game Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, everything is really smooth, with great flawless animations, great transitions between movement. In this trailer though, I felt it was a bit on the clunky side, by that I mean that the movements were too sudden, they didn't catch that "smooth" Prince feel.

By the way, keep on doing this incredible job, PoP rocked, and I can't wait to experience PoP2 (it's at the top of my list).

TumikSmacker
06-14-2004, 06:02 AM
Sweeeeeet!! :thumbsup:

One question, will the new girl in the game be better then Farah? I was upset that she wont be in this new one :blush:

MaximilianPS
06-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh man.. i've loved the Firs, PoP (Sand of time) and for sure i'll take also the new one :D

i love your graphic style and the envinronment is everytime amazing...

great job, onece time again the animation and the character movement are so stylish and c00l :D

well.. u have a fan :D

RAINpit
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
el rafo: how are u and the ubi cinematics division feeling about working with xsi. i am asking this because well, u and u'r team have used it for some time now since u adopted softimage at ubi and wanted to know how u feel about it from a production experience point of view. IS it workflow wise as they all say, what are the pros and cons of soley using it in production, and how do u feel about it given u'r last package used, which was max i think.
i mean what is it in there that helped u , and what would u like to see in it (what still lags behind).
i hope people won;t start a software fight here, i am asking this because i can finally ask someone that has production experience in it since me and a small team are willing to use it for production but would be nice to have an isight from someone that has worked with it from preproduction to final piece.
thnx rafo

Raphael-Lacoste
06-14-2004, 02:18 PM
hi rainpit:

well the Workflow HR is good with XSI, at least to share Data with a team, setup passes for comp, animation wise and lighting wise this tool is really good... BUT... as we use ingame materials we still don't understand why we cannot see tiling in the viewport? and can't weld more than 2 selected vertices with treshold...
a few other stuff that bothered us but render wise, my hat off :)

elnady
06-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Nice job:)

Joebount
06-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Top knotch !

Euh, c'est possible de descendre visiter les cinématiques à un moment ou un autre ?

:beer:

Kenter
06-14-2004, 02:28 PM
aces all the way to the first,and more to the next,sweet game.Great art.:thumbsup: :buttrock:

shingo
06-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RAINpit
el rafo: how are u and the ubi cinematics division feeling about working with xsi.

I was one of the guys working with Raph on this one. Software aside, what helped us get through this so quickly was that we had a small team working really well together. This is such a big factor.

The other thing that was a big plus was having art direction from people who know what they are talking about and what they want, while still being open to input from others. Such a luxury to work with people who are more concerned with the end product than their egos.

XSI pretty much worked a treat for us and the issues Raph had a are pretty much all addressed by XSI 4.0. But this is just a state. The cinematic is going up a few orders of magnitude from this one.

RAINpit
06-14-2004, 04:47 PM
well, thank u for u'r replyes
one last thing that really bugs me and i must ask.
i have noticed really great water (especially the wakes and foam), and great particle effects (smoke, clouds-which i believe were mattes, and dust). now given my knowledge of xsi , and knowing it lags a bit in this field without proper scripting, i just wanted to ask u if u used any 3rd partyes for these effects, and if u had alot of scripts involved (other than the classic workflow - improvement scripts).
Other than that, i must say it is impressive for 2 months work, because it is keyframe animation. Now some people may look at it and compare it to blizzard or some sort of other eyecandy out there forgetting it is done in 2 months and it is 100% keyframe (at least that's how i think it is, and i would bet my condo' on that)
cheers to u Ubi Guys, and hope to seeya pull the hat off blizzard's head in alot less less time than they make they're cinematics.
ciau

PiPS
06-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi ?!

I enormously like environments of this trailer and less characters animations !
I finished the 1st Pop one of Ubi and I await with "WOW" the next POP !

Good works...:thumbsup:

shingo
06-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by RAINpit
well, thank u for u'r replyes
one last thing that really bugs me and i must ask.
i have noticed really great water (especially the wakes and foam), and great particle effects (smoke, clouds-which i believe were mattes, and dust). now given my knowledge of xsi , and knowing it lags a bit in this field without proper scripting, i just wanted to ask u if u used any 3rd partyes for these effects, and if u had alot of scripts involved (other than the classic workflow - improvement scripts).

ciau

Well, to be compared to Blizzard in any way is a huge compliment. We hold their work in the highest regard just like everyone else.

As for 3rd party apps, we used Realwave for the water. The foam was a combination of animated textures and particles. Atmos was particles too (you don't always need amazing particles to get good reaults). Cloth was Syflex and XSI native cloth.

falclor
06-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Gotta love the action scenes..! The boat was my favorite. I wish your team well. What did you guys build this in?

falclor
06-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Sorry about that. I looked ahead and found my answer. Good work.

atenyotkin
06-14-2004, 08:07 PM
VirtualFM, I don't play the game from start to finish... I play certain levels just because of the combat :-)

I didn't mind PoP 3D that much.. I thought it was decent for it's time. I'll admit I'd much rather play the very first PoP than 3D, but still.. it was nicely done. (IMO.)

I also learned some of the special moves and blocking later on in the game the first time I played it :-)

shingo
06-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by falclor
Sorry about that. I looked ahead and found my answer. Good work.

Some of the sets were orignially modelled in MAX. Raph can pump stuff out of MAX at a rate of knots (with his eyes closed), though he has gotten up to speed in XSI big time.

The models were then converted to XSI for texturing and lighting. The prince character was handed to us from the games team, so that too was a MAX models orginally. That was then re-dome and and textured in XSI.

Due to the crazy deadline, many of the effects elements were done in comp.

DoLeeP
06-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Mm Great Graphics it is the best when it come to graphics mm
But I hate this game I hate it Much very boring same thing u fight then u fight then u fight then u again fight :hmm:
No it's not a good game this is my personal opinion

darcru
06-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Wow....very well done indeed. I enjoy the style that's been brought to this piece.
Thanks for responding to the comments and questions, too few of the people posting comeback and create a conversation with the members.

On that note, I was curious around how many people consisted of your team? :p

Raphael-Lacoste
06-14-2004, 09:36 PM
hi darcru,

we were 8 people including animators, lighters, comp, real, AD...

it was a good challenge and we had a real good team!

Raphael-Lacoste
06-14-2004, 10:22 PM
I mus say also that the director did some particule FX, rigging, shapes for facial anim, story board, and me as AD, i modelled the BG, textured characters, did some comp etc...:eek:
we were all doing everything; a good training!

Dias
06-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Can I ask you one thing?

Are you working for Ubisoft for a long time or you have worked with it only for this project?

Raphael-Lacoste
06-14-2004, 10:36 PM
i work for ubi since 2002, my first project was pop SoT, check on my website for more info ;)
and you working in toscana? nice country!

ps:I like your avatar

Dias
06-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by El Rafo
i work for ubi since 2002, my first project was pop SoT, check on my website for more info ;)
and you working in toscana? nice country!

ps:I like your avatar

Well, actually I don't work because I'm a student (hmm, this weeks I have 4 exams after that I will be free!!!).
Anyway, this yeah I'll look for some job in CG industry. I've saw you portfolio, awersome, at the moment I'm not at your level but I'll try hard. :surprised

p.s.: do you know Toscana? :surprised

shingo
06-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Once again, thanks for the constructiove feedback and encouragement. We are the first to admit we would have liked to have been able to do things differently with more time.

Rest assured we have a couple of cinematics on the boil we are really proud and excited about.

Strang
06-15-2004, 02:46 AM
I was wondering about the hair..

was it rigged and keyframed? o
or was cloth used?

I ask because at times it looks 'controlled' and other times looks simulated.

thanks in advance

-Strang

verbal007
06-15-2004, 03:11 AM
Just have to say that you guys have done an incredible job in keeping the feel of the original 2D Prince of Persia games, in yet introduced tons of new challenges w/ jaw dropping graphics & animation. I can't tell you how many times I've recommended this game to those that wanted to show off their video cards.

I don't currently own a copy, but I assure you... I played the sh@t out of it and plan on picking up my own copy as soon as I get the money for it. If the 3D POP 2 comes out anytime soon, I'll make sure and trade in some games for a preorder.

Once again... you've keep the series flawless (well, cept for POP 3D, from what I've heard).:beer:

I'll forward this link to everyone I've recommend the original Sands of Time to, who are all now addicted. ;)

- Jeremy

Raphael-Lacoste
06-15-2004, 03:51 AM
thanks all for the positive feedback :)

regarding hairs, we used Grids like ingame, with a special rig in XSI, no simulation, all keyframed, thanks to Omar's team :)

Strang
06-15-2004, 04:04 AM
sweet, may try my own version of that...

thanks

-Strang

Bentagon
06-15-2004, 05:05 PM
I think it's a bit of a pitty though, that you moved to do this part of the game (although the animation really looks great). I just lóved the atmosphere in SoT... it had the best use of colors and lightning ever to be presented in a game... I hope your follow-up is as good as you ;)

- Bentagon

mohamad
06-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Great work. But I must said about this game that all location and music and clothings of this game isn't for Persian and it's Arabic.

jbw
06-17-2004, 09:18 PM
El Rafo - New trailer looks great and I'd love to get some info on the storyline... hint hint.

I'd just like to say I bought Sands of Time a month ago and I'm currently about 70% of the way through it - I haven't been this addicted to a game since FFX(but this is more challenging,, imho). The puzzles are superb and I love the fact you got the original in there too! Thankyou for bringing this series back to life with style, it's not only beautiful to watch but it's managed to tax my poor brain a couple of times too! :)

ta,
jbw

3D-ima Green
06-17-2004, 09:53 PM
woah! this prince became some kind of "evil" dude :surprised .. i like that :D

good job at this one-- me iz waiting for the game :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.