PDA

View Full Version : About Rhino3D V2.0

SMH
07-21-2002, 11:56 PM
Hi,

I'm considering Rhino3D 2.0 for some demanding automotive design work. I know that many of you out there have solid knowledge of the package. I have seen the web site, and read many reviews with some tutorials. I have also read most of the related threads in CG-Talk. They all seem to be favorable to the product. I have several questions, but I'll put up the most important one first. Some of these may seem to have available answers in the web site. But I'm asking them here to get feedback that is based on your actual experiences with the Rhino's features.

I need to know:

1a-How does it compare to something like AliasWavefront's AutoStudio10, or Dassault's Catia? ( Not in price :D )

1b- Does it have comprehensive NURBS and surface continuity tools, like those in the above mentioned packages? (G0, G1, G2 continuity, advanced surface evaluation tools)

2-How good is it's data bridge to Lightwave7 and Maya 4.5?

3-How does it's NURBS technology compare to those in Maya Complete 4.5, which are derived from StudioTools.

4-Important: The web site claims that Rhino can run under MacOS/X using SoftPC. If that is true, how useful is it, given that we have very powerful Macs with lots of RAM. Could it serve some purpose as an interim modeling tool, before we get PCs?

5-What can you tell me about Flamingo? (Radiosity, DOF, limitations, strong points)

I hope this helps others out there with similar questions. Which is mainly why I hope for your answers to be as detailed and informative as possible. I thank you all for your patience and your anticipated replies.

meloncully
07-22-2002, 02:43 PM
1a:It does fairly well compared to auto studio (dunno about the other one). Considering the price and also considering, rhino is alot easier to learn, i mean a lot, than auto studio, but it does lack integrated paint and drawing which auto studio has.

1b:i have no clue

2: The data bridge to lw and maya are good because you can just export your rhino models to .obj then import them right into lw or maya.

3: well, i dont really know.
4: i use a pc.
5:Flamingo, is INCREDIBLY SLOW! well, the last time i used it was in beta and let me say, to render a simple scene of a hovercraft(not too complex) with a couple lights, it toook a reeaaaaallyyy long time, i think like 10 min or something. Well, maybe thats because i was on kind of a slow comp. but it was still slow. But if you had a fast enough computer, there are many presets it come with that render pretty believable when it does finish. :)

Grey
07-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Okay:

I know nothing about flamingo.

Rhino IS the single best tool I've ever used to draw lines in 3D space.

I can engeneer a curve to exact specifications in passing through exact points with exact curvature.

If you know and understand how EdgeLoop works using SubDivisionSurfaces, you can use that same knowledge to use point editing to get a good surface, treating surface points as if they were Mesh Points.

In Rhino, the single best learning tool is the COMMAND LIST under the help menu.

The single speediest method to model is using the command line editor in commbination with the OSNAP dialog.

Learn the following commands first:

loft
sweep1
sweep2
snap
osnap
pton
ptoff

take it from there as far as you can go.

You only get 25 saves in the demo, make them count.

SURFACE INTEGRITY at joints is VERY important for any model you're taking OUT of rhino. ALSO for BOOLEANS!!!

When ou're ready to talk about that, ask again.

Grey
07-27-2002, 05:58 AM
By the way, you mentioned Studio Tools?

Ford Motor Company considered several NURBS platforms for their auto body design, Maya Studio Tools amoung them.

They chose Rhino over everything.

Dassault's Catia is supposed to be the End All, Be All of engineering design. Other than that, I know nothing about it. (I think they use it to for AIRBUS design, but I'm not sure...)

MrMunkily
07-29-2002, 02:07 PM
what is surface integrity?

Grey
07-29-2002, 11:12 PM
What I'm really meaning by that is edge integrity for a solid.

In order for a boolean to work, or for the Mesh command to give a good mesh, the there can be no naked edges. (ignore this for simple surfaces).

So you use the command "shownakededges" to show them, and "joinedge" to join htem if they're not properly joined.

Problems arise often when you have two edges joined that don't have the same number of points, or when a complex FLTE (surface fillet) has been done.

Luckily, diagnosing these issues is quite simple.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.