PDA

View Full Version : Blender and Aqsis

pgregory
06-10-2004, 12:44 PM
There is a thread on Elysiun showing the current status of the work on integrating Aqsis into Blender, including an animation by Jonathan Merritt.

<<<Link>>> (http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26106)

PaulG

bbirras
06-11-2004, 10:29 PM
hi paul
i did not answer at the elysiun threat, as i think ityīs a bit inpolite to open a new threat just to indicate another.

well, first of all :thumbsup: it seems that it is taking shape!

it would definately boost the interest in aqsis and there will soon be more and more guys out there willing to get involved in its development .

why donīt you give us a build with this futures, so we can check it out?
tuhopuu?

pgregory
06-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi,

Are you saying that it is not accepted to link between different related chat forums? If so, then I apologise, I wasn't aware I was breaking any etiquette rules.

On the Elysiun thread someone else has mentioned that making a binary install available for people to play with would be useful. I am willing to put together a Win32 installer with Aqsis and Blender together so that they work properly. But I feel it is best to wait until both Jonathan and I are happy that the work is stable enough to not cause any ill feeling. The last thing we want to do is give newcomers who are willing to try out a new idea the wrong impression.

Hopefully that won't be too far in the future, I will post an announcement here when it is appropriate.

Thanks

PaulG

bbirras
06-11-2004, 11:00 PM
i do not know of any etiquette or anythink like that, i just think,feel so, personally..... donīt worry about it......just expressed my point of view

as for the binary, just like everybody else out there :
waiting to play around with it :drool:

as for functions: i do not want to add to that never ending: "this and that would be could"
i think once the seemless use of blender texture as rib shaders is solved, blender, as well as aqsis will become BIG.

as for render-quality/render-speed.....itīs in the works(i know),but
why is it that PRman and renderDOTc , both reyes renderer, are in fact quite a bit faster?

pgregory
06-12-2004, 09:16 AM
[i]
as for render-quality/render-speed.....itīs in the works(i know),but
why is it that PRman and renderDOTc , both reyes renderer, are in fact quite a bit faster? [/B]
Becasue both prman and RenderDotC have very different budgets to Aqsis, i.e.

Aqsis == 0 vs prman/RenderDotC == some

Aqsis is only developed in my, and the other contributors, limited spare time. As such, it is a bit behind the commercial options in terms of performance and functionality. However, as it becomes more popular and more user and developers show an interest, I see that gap shortening with time.

Cheers

PaulG

bbirras
06-13-2004, 01:42 PM
one thing I never understood with so many open-source development going on, is that there are allways a handfull of developers doing the same thing at the same time!!
It does not seem logic to me and it also is a waste of time.

Did you try to ofer somthing like an "merger" to simular projects,pixie, etc which are, just like yours, mostly one person or little more?

Did you try and contact, say universtities around the globe, promoting your projec to future programmers to become part of it for designated aspects of the developement, which would then show in their resumes as practice.

just send your link
http://aqsis.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/aqsiswiki.cgi/FrontPage

to where ever / who ever you think is suitable to give a hand.
just call it practice or "estage" instead of volunteering

:cool:

i do not have the time, but itīs not more than one day of searching the web and to send it out to heads of department, etc.

pgregory
06-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by bbirras
one thing I never understood with so many open-source development going on, is that there are allways a handfull of developers doing the same thing at the same time!!
It does not seem logic to me and it also is a waste of time.

Did you try to ofer somthing like an "merger" to simular projects,pixie, etc which are, just like yours, mostly one person or little more?

I have tried this many times with most, if not all of the OS renderman renderers. The answer has always been "thanks, but no thanks".
Originally posted by bbirras
Did you try and contact, say universtities around the globe, promoting your projec to future programmers to become part of it for designated aspects of the developement, which would then show in their resumes as practice.

just send your link
http://aqsis.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/aqsiswiki.cgi/FrontPage

to where ever / who ever you think is suitable to give a hand.
just call it practice or "estage" instead of volunteering

Never tried that, might be worth a go, thanks.

PaulG

bbirras
06-13-2004, 06:02 PM
this is allready havyly commented on te german and spanish blender-sites!
expectations are high!

as for the uinversities:
best bet is to start at yours or one close to you, and ask for the adecuate department; there you ask for international contacts at this department

ask a career-advisor (or what was that called?): where can you study, this and that.....

once you have a list:
a)write a letter, presenting the project, asking for direct help from the departement, integrating it as part of a studyplan

b) redact a not numerated job-offer, to be published at the university (web and/or notice-board)

I bet one or the other can be motivated that way........

well, hopefully I helped a bit with this idea, hats about all I can do, as for now:hmm:
good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.