PDA

View Full Version : Softimage for Mac?

Slowfib
06-10-2004, 06:55 AM
I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times, but I've searched the forum, and done google searches and couldn't find anything.

So, are their any plans at all for a Mac version of Softimage? Any mention at all?

JDex
06-10-2004, 07:05 AM
I really wouldn't hold your breathe.

There are tons and tons of reasons that have been debated about the SI on Mac subject.

Bottom line, it probably will never happen.

Biggest reason IMHO is that there is no workstation-grade video cards for Macs.

Nemoid
06-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Yap it's a sin that mac computers do not fit SO well for 3D as PC because of crappy video cards they put into them. Mac is leader for 2D,editing and sound but not 3D for now. IMO at least.

ThE_JacO
06-10-2004, 01:11 PM
biggest reason, very simply put, is that there wouldn't be enough sales to justify the effort of a port (and no, it's not as easy as porting to linux or as just changing something here and there).

there are many voicing this request, but the amount of people actually disposed to shell out 2 to 8k if the porting was to be done is insignificant.

EdHarriss
06-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Not to mention XSI uses Mainwin, which only supports Lunix and Windows. Until they support Mac, XSI won't.

ThE_JacO
06-10-2004, 01:20 PM
mainwin is not as wide as a fundation as it used to be, with every version since v2 times more and more of the widget xsi sits on top of is converted to propietary and less mainwin dependant.

especially now that the new core architecture gave the team a chance to work from the ground up.

if you want it still represents an added expense if a porting was to be considered, and considering the minuscule userbase of the mac platform, and how the figure srhinks further in the main markets where XSI plays, it prolly becomes accountable.

LW, C4D and Maya already suppy more then what 90% of the userbase could want to use for the same price or less of what XSI would cost.

the situation isn't like it used to be when alias ported, the market on that side of the fence is saturated already, and replacing an existing offer is much harder then filling an offer gap.

Funk Ride
06-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Judging by the ports to OS X already, it mght not be a good idea unless Soft give it the same consideration as therr Windows/Linux versions. That brings up the point of sales, like The_Jaco said, lots of Mac users would love it to be ported, would look good for the Apple portfolio, but how many would actually buy it? Not many I think.
I've used Maya, and Lightwave on the Mac and was not impressed. From half-thought out ideas, to complete loss of functionality, and lack of speed, made me think what's the point?
Mainwin would ease the transition for porting it, but without it, Soft would have to go the Mac carbon route, it would be a serious effort to do.

Personally speaking, as a Windows/Mac user, I wouldn't want Soft to port it over. I wouldn't buy the Mac version of something like that.
I'm not interested in it being done for the sake of it, and would rather see that development effort being into their current versions, which they do already.

Funk Ride
06-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ThE_JacO

LW, C4D and Maya already suppy more then what 90% of the userbase could want to use for the same price or less of what XSI would cost.

the situation isn't like it used to be when alias ported, the market on that side of the fence is saturated already, and replacing an existing offer is much harder then filling an offer gap.

True, and with that thought, how many studios would kit up on Macs to run XSI? I wonder how many actually buy into Maya. I think that those sales of Maya on Mac generally come from small production houses who are Mac already. So persuading a non-Apple studio to buy into Mac for XSI would be extremely hard at best. So Soft would be selling to the existing Mac market, which is stagnant just now, in the crowded arena that's there.

pervert
06-10-2004, 08:27 PM
myself... i know few people from my city who would buy xsi for mac. but... few conditions would have to be true:
1) apple puts pro video cards into their machines (i.e. quadro 980xgl which i have in my PC and i am more than happy with it ;P )
2) the port would be not the port exactly but more like native os x code. so it runs stable, fast, just like on xp.

why? because i think os x is a very good system. much better than xp . no flame guys and girls.

just my 2c.

per...

Funk Ride
06-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by pervert

why? because i think os x is a very good system. much better than xp . no flame guys and girls.

just my 2c.

per...

Definitely. Apple really needs to start thinking about the professional market whe nthe yare presenting themselves to customers. I had a look at the new G5s up on their site, adn to offer only 512MB ram i nthe top end machine, plus the lower ATi 9600 card, that just doesn't scream out, 'Buy me, i am made for the high-end'.

Yeah, one could stick in more ram, but if a company can't show that they understand the pro market, while others do, it can put people off.

So, if the Mac, adn the MAc market wer eripe for Soft to expand into, the port would have to be a decent one, and couldn't cut any corners like Alias did, IMO.

I doubt they could do, or would need to, make it a Cocoa app. There's not many cross-platform apps that get coded for Cocoa, but Carbon seems to be the route to go. That's fine, because Carbon is starting to overtake Cocoa as the prefered environment to programme in, despite Apple's wishes. Also, Carbon isn't really a poor-man's environment, it has many benefits over Cocoa too.

I'l probably get slammed for this comment too, but I do agree with you on OS X being a great OS. I'm not really one for touting any specific platform, or swearing by one, but OS X, for me, has been great, really rock solid, and does what it says on the box, without much trouble.

Eraq
06-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I must admit that the thought of running XSI on a sexy looking iBook is a very tempting one :cool:

Erik

ThE_JacO
06-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I don't think you'll be flamed for expressing an opinion about OSX, and if anybody flames without a very valid point that's a post that could get removed ;)

Personally I'm anything but a mac fan, where I work now we've been forced to get 20 G5s for the compositors in 2 buildings, and there are lots of issues that make me wish anything but switch.

there are quite a few sexy things to it, and the new development suites have some very very innovative points to them, but the amount of issues we face everyday when using macs far outweights the positive points.

XSI is currently doing best in the commercials and games markets, with a rapid expansion in the film market.

game market can't use anything but PCs for a 5digits number of reasons.
Small shops living off commercials are hardly ever populated with machappy people, and for the film market you use what works, that largely means Linux and eventually windows dual boot on the artists workstations.

the markets composing most of the mac user base are simply not overlapping with those where XSI is popular.

as for my choices I sort of like the latest suse64 sitting on top of opterons, but I wish there were more development tools for 64bit platforms and that the platform wasn't so young.
just finding a decent compiler that's on par with intel's or MS' .net2003's is a nightmare.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.