PDA

View Full Version : Missing characters?

Stillwell
06-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey, am I the only one seeing issues with special characters since the crash/hack/whatever happened?

In example, I'm trying to make the a letter with this accent on top: ` a

when I do type it though, this is what is gives me: _

some weird greek letter.

Same thing for some other things:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146610

see at the complete bottom, montréal is not montréal anymore, something happened that corrupted it.

Same thing goes to Pascal Blanché, is name is all weird now.

Mibus
06-10-2004, 05:24 AM
We've been noticing this on-and-off for a whlie with various things, and are looking into it... stay tuned :)

Mibus
06-10-2004, 05:30 AM
Testing:

Mibus
06-10-2004, 05:38 AM
I've changed the character set our servers send out, and ĥv mď ĩţ work for me ;)

Does it work for you now? I'm afraid it doesn't seem to affect things written in the past, so it may just be the way I enter accented characters that makes it work...

(I only have a standard US keyboard, so I've used the Unicode Character Map from Gnome 2.6 to enter the special characters...)

Update: Lisa here pointed out that I've implied that I can't create accented characters because of my keyboard - of course this is untrue, I've done it in OSX on this keyboard - I just don't have the time to set up alternate keyboard settings right now ;)

Mibus
06-10-2004, 05:41 AM
OK doesn't work in IE.

We'll keep investigating...

[Update] I must remember to update both servers ;)

OK looks good for new characters, "old" ones seem broken still.

Let me know how you fare :)

Stillwell
06-10-2004, 02:52 PM

^^^^ works now.

I've seen a reply, right over here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1354394#post1354394

Look at how weird his message got. I don't know if that's before or after you fixed it, but at least the works :) I've got a french keyboard, so I'll test the characters:

They all work :)

Stillwell
06-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Other random special characters:
⅔⅛

@\\|!"/$$%?&*())__

Stillwell
06-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Other french characters I forgot:

They work too.

I also noticed that my location under my name turned out all weird.

Rei Ayanami
06-10-2004, 06:53 PM
I had this problem with IE on the NT forums, but when i used Safari it didnt affect it. Same now with mozilla, no problems at all.

It could be missing fonts with IE mean that the recomended font is not being used, so special char's for that dont shame the same code as they do in the default font.

Try adding more fonts to IE / windows. Dont know how tho -_-

Stillwell
06-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Well, I fixed my location, maybe that's why you see it correctly now ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.