PDA

View Full Version : box mapping

motionbroker
07-21-2002, 06:24 PM
I must be missing something.

I have been trying to get a box to map with an image on all four sides and it seems incredibly time consuming. I am a max user thinking about migrating to xsi but this one is really almost a deal killer for me since I do a lot of architectural stuff and virtual sets and they are often constructed of boxes.

Is there no equivalent of box mapping in max in xsi? does one really have to assign 3 planar texture spaces to a cube in order to get a box to map properly as a friend told me he witnessed in mr harriss' video. I tried this approach and could not even get it to work properly. There must be an easier way.

In honesty, while I am starting to like many things about xsi the texture mapping controls in max are infinitely better designed.

any comments on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Atyss
07-21-2002, 07:22 PM
@@@@
In honesty, while I am starting to like many things about xsi the texture mapping controls in max are infinitely better designed.
@@@@

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your question. I read somewhere that there is a script that does that but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can point you to it.

However, since I'm a 3ds max user too I can comment on your statement.

I agree that it's a pain to not have a default cubical mapping, but let me tell you that you are wrong when you say that the mapping tools are better designed in 3ds max. Just take the UVW Unwrap modifier. I think it's a far-far-far-far cry from the what the Texture Editor has to offer. In XSI there are many controls, the UV samples are not triangulated, the refresh and interaction with the viewport is quicker. The TE allows you to work with high poly count objects without too much pain, wich is not the case with the Unwrap UVW modifier. I also find the projection system more easy and versatile than the one in 3ds max.

If I'm ever offered the choice of texturing with max or XSI, I'll wihtout any hesitation with XSI.

Just my 2 cents
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

motionbroker
07-22-2002, 03:21 AM
thanks for the response.

Interesting that you say that the viewport update and refresh are better than in max. When I set repeats for the map, I dont even see it in the viewport till I set a render region. Could be a display card problem, but I doubt it. The gloria dcc drivers have an xsi setting. Could not find anything to adjust in the user prefs that would suggest a fix to this problem.

The box mapping thing is however a glaring omission, may be a little thing for someone doing character work, but if you want to build buildings with efficiency it is quite a serious issue. I often work on really big models (3-7 million polys) and the number of boxes that are involved could be staggering.

Atyss
07-22-2002, 04:48 AM
@@@@
Interesting that you say that the viewport update and refresh are better than in max. When I set repeats for the map, I dont even see it in the viewport till I set a render region. Could be a display card problem, but I doubt it. The gloria dcc drivers have an xsi setting. Could not find anything to adjust in the user prefs that would suggest a fix to this problem.
@@@@

Indeed this feature is not present in XSI. But I know you can fake it:
http://www.xsibase.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=render;action=display;num=1024949251

@@@@
The box mapping thing is however a glaring omission, may be a little thing for someone doing character work, but if you want to build buildings with efficiency it is quite a serious issue. I often work on really big models (3-7 million polys) and the number of boxes that are involved could be staggering.
@@@@

Agreed.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

icedeyes
07-22-2002, 08:03 AM
go to netview>tools>render>cubic mapping... here it is... hope i have been of help..

Atyss
07-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Duh, I didn't even think of looking onto XSI Local..... :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.