PDA

View Full Version : DIY pc

kazuya
07-21-2002, 07:07 AM
Hi all.

I am going to start learning After Effects, and would like to build a workstation for it.

Can everybody here give me pointers as to how I should go about doing it? I have no idea what After Effects need, and hence do not know how to tailor the pc.

Please do list out all the parts required for it.

Thank you.

Malameel
07-21-2002, 07:25 PM
What is your price range. You can be surprised how simply throwing more money at it will speed your workflow. I did an animation the other day that was about ten seconds long, full of effects and it took about 48hours to render, and slow to work through becuase of the intense effects.

Of course not all your work will be as intensive.

Like most 3D, After Effects would like the most powerful systems. The only real differnce between this and 3D is NOT needing a professional video card like a Quadro. I am so happy with my Gainward Geforce4 Ti4600, which lets me have dual monitor support. Personally I am a nVidia fan because of their solid driver support.

nothinman
07-24-2002, 10:33 PM
lots of ram cant have enough of it, for the ram preview its really important, if you want to go multi cpu, that only works on effects

beej
07-24-2002, 10:36 PM
ram ram ram ram ram ram ram ram ram ram ram ram

ooh..& get 2 screens if you can afford it!

NanoGator
07-26-2002, 02:20 AM
Dual monitors and dual processors are a plus. Heh.

If *I* were building strictly an AE machine, I'd focus on RAM, dual monitors, and hard drive space.

If I were building an AE/LW machine, I'd focus on dual proc and dual monitor, and lotsa RAM. The difference here is that I'd go deeper into debt for it. Heh.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.