PDA

View Full Version : photorealism : chess

babycarrot
06-07-2004, 06:23 PM
hello...first time posting a 3d piece here.
i just finished this a today...had to make some adjustments (i really dont know what to do with the background). anyway, i used a black & white photo as a reference...first attempt at photorealism.

comments welcome. (suggestions too, which makes me ponder if i should have put this is WIP)

anyways...thanks in advance =)

AshtrayBabyHead
06-07-2004, 06:24 PM
The reflection of the white piece kind of clashes with the marble texture of the black piece. Other than that, it looks nice.

spideynick
06-07-2004, 06:32 PM
hey.. nice piece of work. I love the reflections. i suggest you can change the table texture or to something else, other than that the chess piece set is very nice and well done :)

very NICE :bounce: :applause: :bowdown:

Dennik
06-07-2004, 07:08 PM
This makes me wonder why everyone choose their first themes to be chess boards and the check mate . Big mystery. :)

woadiestyol
06-07-2004, 07:16 PM
It might be my screen, but it looks a bit dark to me...I would suggest brightening it up a bit, maybe a little more fill light or something. Just me 2c :p

JesseDavis
06-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Dennik
This makes me wonder why everyone choose their first themes to be chess boards and the check mate . Big mystery. :)

The checker material IS a default one in maya :)

robbo59au
06-07-2004, 11:37 PM
G'day,

Nice work, altho the reflectivity of the black piece (and the white as well, presumably) is too uniform - maybe you could try some roll-off on the edges?

babycarrot
06-08-2004, 03:39 AM
oohhhh....replies :) how encouraging...

thanks for all the critics...i agree there's just something not right with my texturing for both pieces...i'll try to adjust it abit, especially now that i see the substantial difference in the white piece and the black one...

thanks again for the comments :)

ps: i dont know why i picked a chess theme...but i guess its because it wouldn't be that difficult to model and i could concentrate on texturing and lighting (which i suck in) :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.