PDA

View Full Version : Max 4 - Rigid Vertices

rosco
01-31-2002, 04:44 AM
Has anyone noticed (or is something I havent found yet) the inability to assign vertices, manually, when you initialize a physique to a biped with the no blending/rigid vertice option?

I've gone back to work on some old Halflife models (don't ask me why, I just did), and noticed this issue. I'll probably just move on anyway, but for future reference, if I encounter it again is there a solution?

By the way, this should be an overall interesting forum, this Game Development.

David Lightbown
01-31-2002, 05:53 AM
I personally initialize with nothing turned on and then go in and do it by hand... and I haven't had that problem before though... I don't trust the premade vertex influence envelopes, I think it causes too much of a mess off the bat.

urgaffel
02-01-2002, 06:14 AM
Physiques intialize can create pretty smooth vertex assignments depending on how you set up the bones, how you modeled the character and which values you set for the envelopes. It takes a lof of fiddling tho, so assigning by hand is nearly as fast. But it's not completely useless. The "Select By Link" works pretty good when you need to find stray verts...

A friend of mine was given a model that he then rigged a skeleton for and pu physique on. All he had to do was intialize and it fit perfectly. So it can actually work like it's supposed to... But I guess that's once in a million :)

subagio
02-01-2002, 02:07 PM
For a game model, I've found regular Skin to work a lot better. We're doing the next gen consoles now, and even with characters bordering on the 4000 poly count, I'm still digging skin better. It's really easy to manipulate the data too, both in the export and through msx.

--C

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.