PDA

View Full Version : Character: Not Just Another Ninja

Darknon
06-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Here is my main character (hero) for my next shortfilm.

Tell me what you think of him.

http://www.3dmaxer.dk/upload1/non/ding-web.jpg

http://www.3dmaxer.dk/upload1/non/cam-5.jpg

http://www.3dmaxer.dk/upload1/non/cam-4.jpg

Remi
06-07-2004, 04:08 PM
He looks good...reminds me a bit of ninjai...but good regardless.....and a Hatori Hanzo sword always has a sheath....unless of course your uma...:)

Shaykai
06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Looks good :) I enjoyed your last short, but i'm wondering why you always hide your characters faces with big hats/helmets?

Shaykai

Darknon
06-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Remi: my ninja don't have a sheath for the sword, he won't need it in the animation, and i don't want to have too many assesories hanging around, as it's make the animation process more tiresome.

Shaykai: i'll give you 2 reasons. 1 i think it's cool, it actually gives the character some kind of mystical personallity that i like my ninja to have. and with the soldiers i think it's pretty damn funny that they actually can't see a thing. soldiers, who can't see, that's funny.

the other reason is, that no face, means no facial animations, which gives me alot more time to focus on the action, and action is what i'll show... the enemy ninjas will have faces though :cry:

any more comments guys?

the_podman
06-07-2004, 06:56 PM
:thumbsup:

Hey, I'm diggin it so far. It'd be cool so see some test animations. What software are u using?

Reminds me a little of some of the work from KUNG FU CHAOS and I-NINJA on the Xbox. It'd be cool if he threw his hat too but I know what you mean about extra work with facial animations. Took me days just to do all the Blendshapes/Morphtargets for mine.

Keep me posted!

the_podman
my little ditty (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141895)

woadiestyol
06-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Looking pretty cool!! I'm working on a character now that's similar in the sense that he's wearing a helmet, so no facial animation. I know it's not as exciting, but I've been messing with making a model and just figuring out how to set it up so long that I want to give a go at some animation without having things be very complicated. A couple things I noticed you might want to check out:

The hat really needs to be subdivided, or at least remade with more divisions...it's pretty jagged when his head is tilted

His feet are pretty squarish. I think all it might take is to just grab the polys around his small toes and translate them back just a little.

The bump map on the shirt and pants looks kind of odd...I think it would look alot better if it was just smooth.

I like the lighting in your environment alot.

So anyways, just my humble opinions. Good luck with your animation, I hope we get to see it soon!!

floguyep
06-07-2004, 10:09 PM
In that last pose, (for a proper back-stance) his back knee should be directly over his back foot...so basically shift his weight back a little in my opinion.

The shaders on him could use a little work.

I really like the style though, the sword is absolutely perfect.

Flog
06-07-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm lovin it! and I ain't talkin bout' MCDonald's

LeeSalo
06-07-2004, 10:49 PM
sorry dude i got to say it, It looks just like Ninjai. so ya, it is just another ninja. the modelings not bad

Darknon
06-08-2004, 09:00 AM
the_podman: I'm using 3dsmax 6. And i'll keep you posted :thumbsup:

woadiestyol: yeah, i might redo the hat. i have a habit to make thing a little too simple some times. and your right about the feet. i hope it's not messing up my rigging if i go back and model. and I might work with the bump map some more, thanks:thumbsup:

floguyep: i'm glad you like the sword :bounce: I'm not sure I agree with you on the pose thing. If I pull him back like you say, then he will get another less agressive pose. I could be wrong...
oh, and by the way, it was a test pose, to help me with my rigging. I'll try your suggestion mate.

LeeSalo: that hurts man.... Why is it that one can't make a character without being compared to another character? I don't want a completely original character, I wan't a simple ninja with a sword and a big hat, damn someone allready did that, what do I do? It brakes my heart.... so, is that ninjai then a ripoff the ninja-god from "big trouble in little china"?
I've only seen two chapters of Ninjai long time ago. and it wasn't my intention to do a ripoff... Every character you make today, reminds you in someway of another character allready made. Every ninja is somewhat simular. every space marine is somewhat simular, and so on, but that doesn't make them ripoffs, right? enlight'n me... I didn't make this to steal the ninjai design, I really didn't...

LeeSalo
06-08-2004, 11:14 AM
sorry dude, your right there are no fully original ideasany more. I did not mean to imply that you directly ripped off ninjai. The model you designed sports a remarkable likeness. Now instead of sounding like a complete ass (if its not to late all ready), i will give some creative criticism.

i think somthing to flesh it out would be pretty cool. some more small details, not to much though i dig the minamalist aproach on this project. also the gui would benefit from a bump map with a cloth texture.

any ways, the model is cool, i apologise and hope to see more.

Darknon
06-08-2004, 12:17 PM
LeeSalo: no worries mate. I'm not mad at you, it's just a topic that gets me out of my seat...

you're right that he might need som more little details. He will get a lose strim from his bandage, to hang and swing around. and that's about all I can come up with of details, without ruin the simple look. and there'll be alot of evil ninjas, and heads and arms flying around, so i don't want my characters to get too heavy...

I could maybe post the evil ninjas, and get some comments on them... as I think their design is critical...

megamusZoidus
06-08-2004, 12:21 PM
looks very ninjai.....

Low Tek
06-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Well I can't say anything about the modeling that hasn't already been said, but I'll say something about your posing.

Ninja swords are straight, not curved like a Katana.

If you are going to use a katana, it is always drawn from the left side, not the right. Unless your character is left handed, which is unnatural in sword forms.

If you are going to use a Ninja sword, place it on the back of your character, either across his back or horizontally across his lower back.

syous
06-08-2004, 02:06 PM
hmmhmm great lightning man :thumbsup: ...though ur ninja is faceless.
Correct me if i am wrong, is your background inspire by
"Last flight of Osiris"in animatrix?

Flog
06-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Don't change him or add any more detail, I think the simplicity is beautiful. Its great the way it is.

I don't think he is Ninjai in the least. Ninjai is nothing special in way of character design. He is wearing basic peasant clothing and a common hat, with sandals.

http://www.kenricephoto.com/images/vie_wome_lg.jpg

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/academics/course.offerings/physbo/biology/watson/Rice-farmer-.jpg

http://www.stoessel.ch/images/j0264804.jpg

Ninjai is a small boy who is travelling around and happens to be wearing the clothes of his time period and culture.

Your guy is an oriental fella in a standard karate, kungfu, etc pajamas

http://members.cox.net/sam.fraulino/images/kungfu.gif

Its not 100% original character, but there is no way you simply copied it. Your character is in his personality. So don't worry that it looks like this or that. Cause simply put it looks like an oriental man wearing an oriental hat. Its perfectly fitting. I am a Ninjai viewer from the very beginning. I didn't see your character anyway tied to Ninjai other than the fact he is wearing the clothes such as the above pictures. Neo and Morpheous wore a set of KungFu Pajamas in the Matrix. Doesn't mean their characters were just copies of all the oriental movies.

So I love your character and think its cool, and its all in the style. I love the simplicity. Its beautiful!!!

Darknon
06-08-2004, 02:19 PM
megamusZoidus: read the post man...

syous: Thanks. Sorry, I haven't see the animatrix.. Dooohh!!!! Guess I better see it then..

Darknon
06-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Low Tek: wow you go in details man :bowdown: My sword is only slightly curved. As far as I remember, the swords in kill bill is slightly curved too, i don't know if it's samurai swords or what it is, but i like the kill bill swords.

as for the placement for the sword, it will forever be in his hand. that's where it allways will be, for now. but thanks for the usefull facts :bounce:

Flog: Thanks man.. I'm glad we got that right. And you are so damn right, well spoken. I will forever link to this page, whenever someone say that he looks like Ninjai :beer:

xjgd4321
06-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Very lovely role
:eek:
But the felling is not exquisite
Very there is consciousness
:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.